Do you believe in Burn-In?
Nov 26, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #151 of 221
It's not so much a case of remembering how a phones sounded, since auditory memory is notoriously unreliable, as of being instinctively less averse to it. For instance, I found the 702 unlistenable out of the box. I just hated it--eek! It took several hundred hours of break-in (without listening) before I could bear the sound for more than a few minutes. IOW, my aversion had lessened. It was no longer boring into my lugs to the same degree. Ditto as time went on. Currently I find them rather light and bright with a somewhat metallic colouration but "within the ball park", and miles from what they were out of the box. (How anyone can say their AKG 701/702 sounded fine out of the box is beyond me!). So it's not a question of me remembering exactly how they sounded originally, as of remembering how much it hurt to listen, which is a different thing.

Nov 26, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #152 of 221
I've got a pair of HD-515s that I got in 2002, and they certainly sound better than they did then. But they have thousands of hours on them. I've been listening to them almost daily for 7 years. I found a cheap pair for my girlfriend and we ended up returning them for IEMs, mainly because she has a tiny head, but also because they sucked compared to mine, the detail just wasn't there. Stepping up to amplification a few years ago was obviously a much more noticeable change.

Nov 26, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #153 of 221
^^ Excellent ! So what you are saying is that you already had a HD515 and you bought a new HD515 and they did not sound the same as you old pair correct ? If so then you have just added a lot more credibility to the burn-in believers. Its not enough however as the non believers will still conclude that it does not exist simply because they have not heard of it themselves.

Nov 27, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #155 of 221
I wouldn't say it's even up for debate. Anyone who doesn't believe in burn-in needs to do some blind tests with headphones, before and after burn-in.

So obviously, DOH, of course it's real.

Nov 27, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #156 of 221
After hearing my HF2 change in bass and treble regions, yes. Subtle, but noticeable. I do not believe in x-hundred hour burn-ins though, that is just dumb idea. Most changes I have experienced with few new out-of-box headphones I've had have all happened withing first 24 hours of continous use.

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #159 of 221
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And another thing I found out: my X-Can does very little in improvement over the headphones out of my Marantz integr. amp.

No surprises there. I've never found any improvement with dedicated amps over good quality integrateds other than, perhaps, slightly tighter bass.

Dec 7, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #160 of 221
Got a new pair of D2000's about a month ago. Haven't listened to them compared to an out-of-the-box pair, but I know for a fact that they sound night and day better now than they did at first (have about 200 hours of burn-in on them).

Dec 7, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #161 of 221
Compared a well-burned in K701 to a brand new K702 a few months ago. Sound was dramatically different, which I find it difficult to attribute to the paint job. I now know for a fact that burn-in exists based on my experiences, but would still be open to the idea that the degree to which burn-in changes a component probably varies from component to component, and maybe some don't change much with burn-in at all. But some, for sure, do change, quite noticeably.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #163 of 221
Re: all this talk about "psychological burn-in":

I've not read any accounts of headphone users who have experienced break-in with used phones. Why is it that people seem to experience break-in only after buying new phones? Might break-in be more than simply psychological?

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #164 of 221
That's a fairly good point, Spinali.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #165 of 221
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compared a well-burned in K701 to a brand new K702 a few months ago. Sound was dramatically different, which I find it difficult to attribute to the paint job. I now know for a fact that burn-in exists based on my experiences, but would still be open to the idea that the degree to which burn-in changes a component probably varies from component to component, and maybe some don't change much with burn-in at all. But some, for sure, do change, quite noticeably.

My new K701 has changed dramatically from new. They're less edgy now than they were out of the box.

I didn't adjust to them in any way. I tried them new - hated them. Took them off and left them on Pink Noise for a long time then listened again. My jaw hit the floor. They are now my favourite headphone!!

I've never heard such a lot of change before so like someone has said earlier, it may also be to do with what the gear is. (Plus psycho effects perhaps - althoough I was on the verge of dumping them straight away)

More Pink Noise and I'm hoping just for a tiny bit more 'mellow'.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back