Do white headphone/iPod muggings still go on?
Apr 7, 2005 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

seeberg

Headphoneus Supremus
I saw some threads on the matter just now, and all of a sudden I'm kinda paranoid, although the city I live in kind of hardens you, you learn not to take crap from anyone. I've been rawking on long stretches to my newly aquired birthday present, my ER6i's, using the triflange rubber tips due to their tone, fit, durability, and sanitary goodness. Foamies don't do it for me at the moment, but maybe not so in the future. It's pretty easy to see why I don't want to get mugged now
rolleyes.gif
or provoked to violence in return
very_evil_smiley.gif

Anyway, I was wondering if the rashes of muggings have died out or are they still a big thing?

You can
etysmile.gif
great, even late,
Abe

Apr 7, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 43
Here in NYC, I believe they are still going on. They do what they call, bump and steal. Anyway, I've been avoiding using my IPOD until our situation gets better.

Apr 7, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 43
Most people identify iPods with the white Apple earbuds, so naturally people who are wearing them are more likely to get iPod-mugged (whether or not they actually have an iPod considering that the earbuds are more of a status symbol than quality headphones).

Then again, situations like this are nothing new and are not limited to just iPods. Blatently showing off any valuable object in public essentially is saying 'rob me!'. Remember that many (if not most) thieves act on opportunity rather than careful planning.

Apr 7, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Anyway, I was wondering if the rashes of muggings have died out or are they still a big thing?

It's probably important to note it was never a big thing. Statistically, your odds are extremely low as was the number of crimes committed (especially if compared to number of iPod owners). Did they happen? Was the new crime interesting? Both yes, but 'rash of crimes' across the U.S? An epidemic? Hell no. Read the Culture of Fear and reference specifically how several years ago the new then 'rash' of visitors to the U.S. being carjacked and murdered in Florida were reported for a similar news moment. It's something to be aware of and act as you feel fit (and if you advertise you have a $300 device in your pocket you may always be a target in some neighborhoods), but there was/is no "stealin' iPod season" that will come or disappear.

Apr 7, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #5 of 43
Hmmm... Well, I've had ER4's in my ears, and they were much easier to remove than the ER6i's(my only gripe-they are slick little bastards, but damn they sound nice) and my SlimX 350 stays practically lodged in my jeans pocket. You have to roll it out slowly or the lip on the pocket holds it in tighter. Perhaps this makes me somewhat theft deterrant, besides giving what I know to be methheads and heroin addicts in my area cold stares like I'm going to burn them alive(I'm not antisocial, just selectively interactive)
very_evil_smiley.gif
?

etysmile.gif
in the face of The Man,
Abe

Apr 7, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
It's probably important to note it was never a big thing. Statistically, your odds are extremely low as was the number of crimes committed (especially if compared to number of iPod owners). Did they happen? Was the new crime interesting? Both yes, but 'rash of crimes' across the U.S? An epidemic? Hell no.

I kind of expected that. More car theft and drug related goings-on where I am-I still don't like it though. Thanks for letting me know. I poked around for a minute and found that the only HeadFi member that was a victim of the said crimes was Aeriyn, who got her e3c's stolen-of course, the ER6i's would probably be percieved as uglier(I disagree), and they are probably much harder to remove from my ears-the white rear tab stops at the tip of the cartilige(spelled wrong?) of my ears when fully inserted.

Late,
Abe

Apr 7, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 43
Thank God for that Head-Fi member. It is dangerous work but someone has to do it!

Stomping out bad audio across the world...

Apr 7, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 43
Of course they still go on, but there are really low chances of it happening to you. And if it ever becomes a big deal, take your iBuds and $5 PCDP for a walk. Someones in for a surprise when they snag your player.
tongue.gif

Apr 7, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #11 of 43
I live in NYC and I have to agree with BlessingX. I have no doubt that this is a possibilty, but I highly doubt these incidents have been as prevalent as people have been made to believe.

Having said that, I also take care not to pull out my iPod a show it off on a regular basis, particularly at near empty subway stations late at night. But your chance of being a victim of some form of theft goes up in those situations anyway.

In any case, I think some common sense when you're out and about in the city will be more than enough to avoid this from happening.

Apr 7, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic
Do white headphone/iPod muggings still go on?

Naw, the thieves have generally moved on to the better sounding units.

LOL!!!!!
rs1smile.gif

Apr 7, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #14 of 43
My niece just got a ipod mini and she uses the stock buds. I'm willing to use her as a test subject.
very_evil_smiley.gif

(she knows nothing of audio, I just rec. the mini to her cause she wants a simple player and likes cute things)

Apr 7, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 43
I'm going to be taking my micro on campus w/me a lot..I am kind of afraid of putting it in my bag for fear of someone stealing it out of my bag when my bag is on the floor or whatever. Hard to keep track of the bag when it is on the floor and you're paying attention to a lecture..

Got any ideas what to do w/it?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back