Do white headphone/iPod muggings still go on?
Apr 8, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #31 of 43
IN NYC several of my friends had their ipods stolen.
I am very cautious and actually switched to a iShuffle and Black headphones.
Why be a target?
Why Show off?
I see so many people flaunting their ipods on the subway and I already heard of one person having the ipod swiped out of their hand while they were showing it off.
Be careful Peeps!

Apr 8, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
i-i-i-i-iPod! ...I take it you're familiar with with the damn funny Powerbook prank? I laughed SO HARD I almost sh** my pants...

No, I am not. I was referring to the infamous O-O-O-Orpheus.

EDIT: Pic above in ed's post, don't know how I missed it

Apr 8, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #33 of 43
Joey, how many of your friends had them stolen out of their hands? I can see an Ipod or any expensive electronic device getting stolen from a car or wherever, but I doubt if there is a true rash of Ipod muggings. The head-fier here had the Ipod stolen out of her car, not off her person.

Apr 8, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #34 of 43
It seems the only two consistent variables to these iPod stories are 'white earbuds' and 'New York City'. Why are people are only suggesting replacing the former?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 9, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #35 of 43
My few pence with regards to mugging.

Know exactly where your going. Don't dawdle about.

Walk fast, muggers work on the element of surprise. If they can't go faster without breaking into a run, they're not going to bother.

Don't fiddle around looking for a track to play. Set your D.A.P playing before you leave the house. Ideally playing an entire album.

Keep your eyes open, my dad said "If you wear those nosie-isolating headphones you won't be able to hear them sneak up on you." Course they're sneaking up on you anyway so you won't be able to hear them regardless but if you keep looking around and not just stare at the pavement.

If you think someone is following you, cross the road and see if they cross too. If they do, head inside a shop and look around for a bit.

If you think someone is watching you, look at your watch, if they do too, their watching you (maybe innocently).

Most importantly, get some unobvious headphones! Sennheiser HD595, iPod stock white headphones, MoS and those AKG 271s are all bad kinds of headphones to be wearing. What you want to be wearing are ones which look like fluffly ones from the 80's, Cheap earplugs, or PortaPros. Sony Ex-71's are ideal because you can barely see them when they are in. Basically you want it to look as if your listening to a walkman, not a £150+ mp3 player.

Apr 9, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
The problem is not the color of earphones you are wearing, but how much society has degraded. What kind of country do you live in where you can't even feel safe walking the streets, and are forced to hide your possesions?

While I think one should watch out for theft of anything of value in Major cities I think much of the hysteria is based on more percieved fear verses actual threats. This in large part comes from the media and is a constant throughout all types of crime. If anything our prison system is already too harsh, deterence doesnt work when you are looking for a fix.

Its not the degradation of society so much as it is the way we percieve society.

Apr 9, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #37 of 43
Thats why you wear e2c's with the black cord and line it through your shirt and have your micro in your baggy pants and your remote in your jacket pocket
icon10.gif
Or just carry a gun or a pocket knife around for safety (like u dont already have enough stuff in your pockets)

Apr 9, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #38 of 43
Or I could wield a gun+knife(tactical doubleedge serrated + M1911A1 + Supressor) like Snake in MGS3- I love CQC for self defense, especially that by Motosada Mori. That's how I'd love to protect myself and others in a dire situation.
biggrin.gif
I'm a sneaky snake, for real
cool.gif
Abe

Apr 9, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
No, I am not. I was referring to the infamous O-O-O-Orpheus.
EDIT: Pic above in ed's post, don't know how I missed it

Oooo, do a search for 'p-p-p-powerbook', I hope you enjoy it, it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Late,
Abe

Apr 9, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #41 of 43
A worry on the east coast, but I roll on the west coast. The northwest in particular. Salem and Portland are theft hotspots, but Salem is much worse statistically, from what I've heard. I'd rather live in Portland or Eugene any day. The scene in these two cities isn't as depressing.

etysmile.gif
Abe

Apr 10, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #43 of 43
Now the worst possible scenario: An exiled (banned) HeadFi member that steals from a respected HeadFier(am I?). That would just be ridiculous.
Like balke says... "don't be ri-dic-u-lous!"
etysmile.gif
to sleep and wake up rested the next morning,
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back