Do we really love our headphones? Or are we fooling ourselves?
Dec 14, 2001 at 3:24 AM Post #31 of 61
What I meant was:

(a) my Maxed Out Home amp is pretty small ... at first it seemed stupid to spend that much on a small amp

(b) but when I saw what some people are paying for high end audio gear w/ speakers .... $10K, $15K, $25K ... I was realizing that $1200 is a pretty good investment (that brings a lot of pleasure)

Dec 14, 2001 at 6:38 PM Post #32 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by johnnylexus
when I first bought my Lexus about 9 months ago I spent every night in a Lexus forum sorta like this one...

...then I started to sicken of it. I started to notice how a lot of the people on the site were also into drinking, drugs, sex and violence.

eek.gif

Yeah those Lexusowners are nothing but a bunch of subversive perverts!

Thank God for Head-Fi! The last beacon of moral and purity!

wink.gif

Dec 14, 2001 at 6:58 PM Post #33 of 61
It's the music! To be honest, I think my AKGs are poopy looking, and a little on the flimsy side. My Sansui doesnt look so hot, either, and my Sony CDP is falling apart. The closer I am to the music, the more I enjoy it, and the hobby continues. It's neat to have sexse gear and stuff too, though..
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, hell... BOTH!
eek.gif

Dec 14, 2001 at 7:01 PM Post #34 of 61
What really depresses me thought, is the lack of appreciation for good sounding tunes bumpin' in your ears.... I mean, my mom was bowled over by how the headphones sounded, I put them on my sisters head and she said: "well, they sound good, theyre a little flimsy for $120".

I was stunned... You'd think the sound quality would have made her yell like it does everyone else. I mean, even my friends 9 year old brother was like "my god". I tried to explain how much music was a part of me, and how it mattered to have it sound more natural and as "real" as possible.. I just got a really odd look.
frown.gif

Dec 14, 2001 at 10:15 PM Post #35 of 61
If you want to "wow" people with hi-fi sound, try Grado SR-60s. They are a bit colored, which is their charm and their downfall. But for converting...err...impressing people, I think that they would be one of the best headphones.

Dec 24, 2001 at 6:07 AM Post #39 of 61
Jude summed it up best...there is a social element to this place that exists nowhere else on earth. Where else can you hang out with several hundred of your "buddies" at any given time and discuss, learn, articulate and debate about our wonderful hobby. The great commonality is that this wonderful hobby we share, enhances our enjoyment of something greater, deeper and utimately personal. Each of us pursues with varying degrees of passion and comittment, but unique to the individual, the miracle that is music.

Dec 24, 2001 at 6:33 AM Post #40 of 61
Agreed. Regarding the question ("Do we really love our headphones?"), however, I think I'd defend my precioussss Etys from those hobbitses quite vigorously
biggrin.gif

Can you tell I just saw LOTR?
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2001 at 6:38 AM Post #41 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by shivohum
If you want to "wow" people with hi-fi sound, try Grado SR-60s. They are a bit colored, which is their charm and their downfall. But for converting...err...impressing people, I think that they would be one of the best headphones.

Yeah, if you look at a thread I did a while ago (about my dad's Grados taking a trip to school), I found the SR-80s to be effective/addictive dru^H^H^H headphones.

Apr 14, 2002 at 11:47 PM Post #42 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Agreed. Regarding the question ("Do we really love our headphones?"), however, I think I'd defend my precioussss Etys from those hobbitses quite vigorously
biggrin.gif

Can you tell I just saw LOTR?
wink.gif

Lord of the Rings is my favorite movie.

Apr 15, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #44 of 61
my name is driftwood, and I am addicted to headphones.

I think the reason why it may seem that we seem to lose the point that all of this is for the enjoyment of music, is because music is such a sucjective experience. People don't need help deciding on which cd has better sound, they buy what they like, and it is much cheaper and easier to buy cds. It is also not as much talked about due to the subjectivity of it all

but then again, I don't know that I am making any sense.

I like headphones because the headphone arena is a whole lot smaller than the whole speaker deal, and is cheaper too for the sound you get.

Headphones rock.

Driftwood

Apr 15, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #45 of 61
I went from mediocre headphones (HD433)'s to the Grado SR-80's, and then to the Sennheiser HD497's. And recently I sold everything but the 433's and I can tell you it sucks. I went from enjoying my music, to being appauled at how bad it sounds from the anemic combo of my PCDP and 433's. The only way the 433's sound listenable is when they are powered by the powerful headphone output on my Samsung DVD player. But then the dynamics are compressed. So, I've just decided to save up for a ATH-W100/JMT combo, the best that I can see myself being able to afford, because I don't want an Ety, and I just want to be able to deter upgrade-itis. So I can actually enjoy my music without wanting anything more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back