Do we really love our headphones? Or are we fooling ourselves?
Apr 15, 2002 at 8:49 PM Post #46 of 61
I don't love my headphones.

I love my music.

Apr 15, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #47 of 61
You don't love both in their own way?
frown.gif

Apr 18, 2002 at 3:06 AM Post #48 of 61
I love my Etys. I just spent about ten hours with them in the last five days, on the plane. Even when I plugged them directly into the crap headphone jack in the airplane armrest to listen to music more distorted than playing them through a succession of Bose and V600s, they still did very well and let me sleep. When I plugged them into my TiBook via my amp, I found that iTunes+Floyd+Etys+amp=portable heaven. And say what you will about speakers, but I truely believe that with my budget and room layout, I would have to pay several tens of times to get the same sound quality from speakers as I do out of my headphones.

Apr 18, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #49 of 61
I love my Etys because the let me enjoy music, stories and even "Love Line" late at night while working alone in a fairly noisy room. Without headphones I'd just be alone listening to loud fans.

Apr 18, 2002 at 2:52 PM Post #50 of 61
Wow, this post is awesome.

Every so often, I do get the feeling. Can I REALLY hear the difference? Should I really be spending all of this money? But an interesting thing happened to me. I went on vacation to florida, spending a little over a week away from my system. What did I find? When I came back, I listened. WOW. It seems like the longer I spend away from my system, the crappier everything sounds.

Currently, I have 580s to cmoy to denon 370. I'm planning an amp/cardas upgrade. I started with mx500s. But I'm wondering, when will it end?

Is there an end? I mean, if I get the ultimate source, a great amp, etc? What about r10s? the orpheus? Will I one day just settle down, and be happy? It seems like half the fun is staying here, and discussing. Planning the next upgrade. Whats next?

Apr 18, 2002 at 8:25 PM Post #52 of 61
I don't love any of my gadgets - I like them quite a lot, but I draw a distinction between things that inspire powerful emotions within me (music, people, books) like love and hate & things that inspire lesser emotions like toy euphoria (toys).......

Apr 18, 2002 at 9:09 PM Post #53 of 61
Quote:

a friend actually told me that she will not buy the dvd of "eraserhead"--one of her favorite movies no less

You've got some weird friends.
smily_headphones1.gif
Actually, Eraserhead is one of my all time faves as well. When it first came out, I took several friends to see it....just so I could witness their reactions.

It's threads like this that have kept me coming back to this site. Like Jude and many others, I feel the social interaction with such a variety of people who share a common interest, is fantastic. I've been thoroughly pissed off at people at times, I've laughed my head off at some of the humour and wit that comes out of these threads, and I've been touched by some of the emotional confessions members have made. I've learned a lot from the members here, young and old.

Music has been a passion of mine since I was a little kid when all I had for music reproduction was a cheap mono record player and an even cheaper transistor radio. But like many passions, boredom sometimes sets in. Finding Head-Fi / Headwise more than a year ago, rekindled my interest big time.

Like Vertigo and many others, I went through an initial hardware buying spree like a kid in a candy store, and have no regrets doing it. I must admit, I've always had a strong attraction to A/V equipment, camera equipment, and musical instruments that goes beyond their practical purposes. To me, a finely crafted MD player, camera, or guitar, is a work of art.

That doesn't necessarily take away from creating photographs or listening to or playing music ... in fact, to me at least, it adds to the pleasure. I don't think you have to be completely disinterested in the hardware to truly appreciate music.

In recent months, I haven't spent a lot of time listening through headphones, as speaker listening and home theatre has taken up much of my spare time. But it's been Head-Fi which has fueled my interest in this as well.
I'm still listening to lots of music, but more often than not, it will be through a concert DVD ( I now have more than 50) or one of the several SACD's I've purchased to date.

I agree that a good song can hold it's own even when played on an AM radio, but let's not fool ourselves...it will sound better, reproduced with full frequency on quality equipment.

Apr 18, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #54 of 61
Quote:

I must admit, I've always had an strong attraction to A/V equipment, camera equipment, and musical instruments that goes beyond their practical purposes.

Is the first section you hit in any store the electronics department by any chance?
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2002 at 6:57 PM Post #57 of 61
This high end audio journey i've been on all these years has been a roller coaster ride with mostly wild ups and a few downs but now i'm pretty much in cruise control. i had the obsession of chasing an elusive goal trying to achieve some obscure satisfaction i can't explain nor could achieve. i've now come to the realization that its the love of music that got me started in all this and enjoying that love must remain the main priority...As it turned out that elusive goal i had been chasing all these years was my own tail
rolleyes.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #58 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by neil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that this headphone hi-fi discussion has made me listen to music more (in terms of time) and more music (in terms of expanding my horizons and variety). Another interesting thing is that this headphone hi-fi stuff has me popping in old music that I really didn't listen to much anymore, having me interested if I can hear stuff I didn't hear before.

That's exactly the way i experienced Hi-Fi.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #59 of 61
what mbriant said.

but i get the point. if we're here all the time, discussing audio equipment; if we're always listening analytically for headphone sonic characteristics; then we've missed the point, i think. it's like discussing food, taste-testing food, without ever (or rarely) sitting down for a quiet meal. it's like a couple who talks about their relationship all the time, but never just going out for a date. it's like someone who zooms in closely into ther digital photos to see how much detail is captured, without ever just flipping through their albums, returning to the memories captured. etc, etc, etc.

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #60 of 61
Out of the woodwork, 2001 haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back