Do us hip-hop fans really need high end cans?
Sep 10, 2011 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

Subliminal

New Head-Fier
At the moment I have a pair of M50's.

For someone who mainly listens to the likes of Tupac and other similar artists (basically hip-hop); would there really be much benefit in me getting some really high end cans? In reality a lot of you audiophiles need your expensive high end cans to get the most from something like Beethoven Symphony No.9 :)D), so you can hear every single tiny detail like never before and hear the music as if it was being played live right in front of you. My point is that high end gear is great for classical/orchestra/heavy rock etc but when your music consists of BOOM BOOM TSHH!! and a black guy shouting "yeh homie get the gat where the true playas at!!", are truly high end cans really worth it? Like would I really enjoy that kind of music any better on a pair of $500+ cans than I would on my $100 M50's?

I'm asking this because earlier on tonight I was considering spending quite a large sum on high end cans but then I thought maybe what is even the point for my music taste? Although if I did buy a pair of really high end cans I'd probably find myself buying some ELO to truly enjoy them.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 61
Even for hip hop and mainstream electronic, beat-oriented music, you want something at least adequate. You will NOT need any headphones that cost a lot for those genres. Something like the Ultrasone HFI-580 would be perfect and I won't see too much benefit in having something better unless you really get curious. The Ultrasone HFI-580 is a third of the cost of the Monster Beats Pro and it is still better.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 61

Not sure if you saw my other thread but I own both the M50's and Pro's and compared them, with the conclusion being the M50's give the Pro's a huge run for their money while also being tonnes cheaper, but the Pro's obviously came out on top for my kind of genres. I have looked at the HFI-580's and they sound really promising but there isn't really anywhere around here I know of that I can try them.
Quote:
Even for hip hop and mainstream electronic, beat-oriented music, you want something at least adequate. You will NOT need any headphones that cost a lot for those genres. Something like the Ultrasone HFI-580 would be perfect and I won't see too much benefit in having something better unless you really get curious. The Ultrasone HFI-580 is a third of the cost of the Monster Beats Pro and it is still better.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 61
Any music that heavily features pre-recorded or computer-generated samples and heavy production -- rap, hip-hop, pop, electronica, dub-step, trance, etc -- is going to require less performance out of audio equipment to be authentically replicated than music with more organic constituents and less production -- acoustic, vocal, classical, some kinds of rock, piano, etc. Obviously this is a generalisation, but an accurate one.

If you like music mostly from the former genres, you're actually in a better position as far as your wallet is concerned. You really don't need "Hi-fi" equipment to get the most out of the music you love.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 61

Quote:
Not sure if you saw my other thread but I own both the M50's and Pro's and compared them, with the conclusion being the M50's give the Pro's a huge run for their money while also being tonnes cheaper, but the Pro's obviously came out on top for my kind of genres. I have looked at the HFI-580's and they sound really promising but there isn't really anywhere around here I know of that I can try them.

The HFI-580 has much more potential for bass impact than the M50. Ultimately, using a good equalizer would result in the HFI-580 being just all around better than the Monster Pros. Less distortion, more clarity, and just as much bass impact.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 61

Quote:

The HFI-580 has much more potential for bass impact than the M50.

Not potential,it has indeed wayyy more bass impact than m50...
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 61
Quote:
"yeh homie get the gat where the true playas at!!"

Sounds like you listen to Limewire-downloaded, DJ-tagged, 48kbps songs. In which case, no.

If you actually listen to high-quality recordings, why wouldn't you notice as many small details as the rockheads? You say that like hip hop is some inferior genre of music with no depth to it (which I wouldn't be surprised if a ton of people on these boards feel that way, but that's besides the point).

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 61

Quote:
I'm gonna order some HFI-580's tonight to see how they compare, I'm guessing they will be similarly priced to M50's?

Yeah,i think they are...
But if you don't mind spending some more go for Pro 900..

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 61
Welcome subliminal...

Misconception- Everyone here listens to classical....Wrong...!!!

Like someone already posted-  It's not the genre it's the source (lossless vs. lossy and so on...).....Good rip etc. etc....Once you climb the ladder your source material has to be on par...You want to get the most from your music no matter what you listen to...Peace..
beerchug.gif

In reference to your question---

I just listened to this:

With these:

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 61

Quote:
Sounds like you listen to Limewire-downloaded, DJ-tagged, 48kbps songs. In which case, no.

If you actually listen to high-quality recordings, why wouldn't you notice as many small details as the rockheads? You say that like hip hop is some inferior genre of music with no depth to it (which I wouldn't be surprised if a ton of people on these boards feel that way, but that's besides the point).

All of my songs are at 320kbps, I also have a small collection of FLAC/ALAC for some of my favourite songs that are noticeably better in lossless (usually dance/techno songs). Those lyrics are from Mo Money Mo Problems by B.I.G and P Diddy, not a crappy unheard of song recorded in someones bedroom then put onto the internet in 128kbps tagged by a DJ.

Quote:
Yeah,i think they are...
But if you don't mind spending some more go for Pro 900..

Now they are quite a bit more expensive, how do they compare to the 580's? Also it looks like they are open, not sure if I like the idea of sound leakage.

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #12 of 61
Do people ever stop to listen carefully of the production on this kind of music?
I don't listen to it at all, can't stand the stuff, its a reason I refuse to go clubbing because I simply hate the music they play so much.
But at the same time, it is possible to have well produced sound regardless of genre, but its possible no-one will ever hear it because of the setups its usually played on.

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 61
Quote:
Like someone already posted-  It's not the genre it's the source (lossless vs. lossy and so on...).....Good rip etc. etc....

Nah, genre's more important. More specifically, the mastering. Mastering quality is often, but not always, genre-dependent. You'll find more well-recorded jazz and classical albums than rock albums, and usually more well-recorded (indie and classic) rock albums than hip-hop albums.

If you only listen to poorly mastered recordings and only want fun, high-end headphones might not be a good idea. They'll reveal weaknesses in the recording. They'll reveal what the recording does well, too, though. It all depends on the individual whether or not the pros outweigh the cons.

Rip quality only matters so far as the files aren't <128kbps MP3s or encoded from other lossy files. Until you know what to listen for, you won't easily tell the difference between bitrates without using your eyes.

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #14 of 61

Quote:
Welcome subliminal...

Misconception- Everyone here listens to classical....Wrong...!!!

Like someone already posted-  It's not the genre it's the source (lossless vs. lossy and so on...).....Good rip etc. etc....Once you climb the ladder your source material has to be on par...You want to get the most from your music no matter what you listen to...Peace..
beerchug.gif

In reference to your question---

I just listened to this:

With these:

Wowzers. The ED9s look so similarly shaped as the HFI series. The HFI-580 is my favorite closed headphone at its price range. Would you say the ED9 is an overall improvement on the HFI 580 sound? Thing that is interesting me the most is if it has similar bass impact potential as the HFI-580.

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #15 of 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subliminal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now they are quite a bit more expensive, how do they compare to the 580's? Also it looks like they are open, not sure if I like the idea of sound leakage.

First off they are closed back cans but they do leak at high volume..
Their bass goes deeper as they produce more sub bass than 580..
It's the kind of bass that blows you away without messing with the other frequencies.
They also have wider soundstage than 580 and a club feeling effect..
If you are a basshead but you also want clarity and detail then they will suit you well..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back