Do Ultrasones seem louder than they actually are? Other cans that are like this?
Aug 11, 2010 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

OwlAudio

Head-Fier
Ultrasone makes the claim that the S-logic thingy increases apparent loudness while not actually raising the SPL.  Do you find this to be the case?

Are there other headphones (any type) that display this same characteristic?

I know that smiley face EQ curve will increase apparent loudness (fletcher munson effect) and alot of headphones take advantage of this however this is not what I am looking for.

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 10
I think they claim that they don't bust your ear with the same volume compared to other headphones. Volume perception is the same, though.

It's like if you listen to speakers, you can turn them up quite a bit without worrying about tinnitus. Your neighbours will most likely knock on your door before you actually threaten your health - that's because the music is not projected into your ear canals but spread across the room.
S-Logic does just that (less extreme, though), by not sending waves into your ear, but onto your ear.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 10
To me my Ultrasone HFi-780 was louder at lower volumes when I had them. I didnt have to turn them up past 20% volume for them to get loud. but yea S-logic pretty much sends the sounds into your ear with the pointed drivers to simlate how sound actually goes into your ears.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 10
Can also be that ultrasone headphones tend to have a fair amount more bass than your regular hi-fi phone, and a lot of people perceive these heavy/low frequencies as loudness instead of depth.

Eg. My D7000 automatically sound louder to anyone I know at the same volume than my other headphone, and I assume it is due to the 100-20hz extension most headphones are lacking, because other than that, there doesn't seem to be much reasonsing. I have tested this, just don't have an absolute answer... just my hypothesis. 

Technically I am pretty sure as long as the sensitivities are the same, and you have a good amp, the same volume shouldn't change when you swap headphones.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 10
I think it does. But for me on the 750 and 900 anyway the FR is optimized for lower SPL then most other headhones. So that helps even further with their low level performance. How much is what I cannot really say but my ears feel fresher with the Ultrasones then the T1 or DX 1000 for example. Been lazy with the SPL metre lately so may listen to louder volumes on those. The T1 really do encourage volume boosting that´s for sure.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
I think it does. But for me on the 750 and 900 anyway the FR is optimized for lower SPL then most other headhones. So that helps even further with their low level performance. How much is what I cannot really say but my ears feel fresher with the Ultrasones then the T1 or DX 1000 for example. Been lazy with the SPL metre lately so may listen to louder volumes on those. The T1 really do encourage volume boosting that´s for sure.

I have been having a hard time not cranking the LCD-2 FWIW... nothing gets out of balance when loud, and gives you that "right there" sound. Probably similar to what you are getting with the T1. When cans are open and have virtually no distortion... it is hard not to crank IMO.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Can also be that ultrasone headphones tend to have a fair amount more bass than your regular hi-fi phone, and a lot of people perceive these heavy/low frequencies as loudness instead of depth.

Eg. My D7000 automatically sound louder to anyone I know at the same volume than my other headphone, and I assume it is due to the 100-20hz extension most headphones are lacking, because other than that, there doesn't seem to be much reasonsing. I have tested this, just don't have an absolute answer... just my hypothesis. 

Technically I am pretty sure as long as the sensitivities are the same, and you have a good amp, the same volume shouldn't change when you swap headphones.

No the perceived volume increase is not bass related.  or due to V shaped signatures.  The 580 is quite flat and nice except for the dip/recess at 3khz-6khz and the roll off past 10khz.  I have the pro 2500 and 580 and they both sounded louder at lower settings than my other phones.  I tried mashing an SPL meter between various phones pads to get a primitive reading on the claim.  After doing my best to volume match the phones the Ultrasones consistently measured 2-
DB lower than the others.  For me lower SPL and the mu shielding are far more valuable than the S-Logic soundstage.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
I have been having a hard time not cranking the LCD-2 FWIW... nothing gets out of balance when loud, and gives you that "right there" sound. Probably similar to what you are getting with the T1. When cans are open and have virtually no distortion... it is hard not to crank IMO.

most headphone with soft or recessed treble you can crank to oblivion it seems. bass and midrange take a lot more to get piercing then the highs :)

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 10
Wait, louder at lower volumes?  How can you tell?

Aug 11, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
most headphone with soft or recessed treble you can crank to oblivion it seems. bass and midrange take a lot more to get piercing then the highs :)

can't say I find them recessed... maybe soft... and I am used to headphones ranging from slightly hot, to bright :/ so I don't know. Some more time and I will have a better idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back