Do Ultrasone Pro 900 really need an amp ?
Aug 11, 2010 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

blueyan

Head-Fier
I thinking to get  Ultrasone Pro 900 soon , but I've heard some said it doesn't need amp , some said it need amp and cable upgrade . My source is laptop + Asus XOnar U1 . Thanks for reply.

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #2 of 31
Higher end headphones are recommended to be used with amplifiers because they are more resolving. I have tried the Pro 900. I really do not think they need an amplifier that badly though. They are very efficient. An amp will still help.

Cable upgrade? I think the stock cables are adequate.

Aug 11, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 31
You still have your Pro 900 ? Can you give me your impression on Pro 900 ? I just got SRH840 for about 2 weeks , they are great for vocal/acoustic/soul , but lacks of IMPACT to play electronica/trance , or any music that need BASS IMPACT . So now I am going to get another headphone mainly for music that need bass impact (electronica/trance/etc) , and movie . How cable upgrade can help ?  What options I have ?

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 31
Do you mean Xonar Essence STX ? I am using a laptop , cant get Xonar Essence STX =(  ... is it possible to get an amp to drive Pro900 under 150USD ?  I've heard an amp is necessary to control the overwhelming bass and improve the mids

Aug 13, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 31
The Kees Mod is Great.  I am from the school of "Why would backyard hacks know more than large corporate companies (and their R & D department)  regarding end product sound from their headphones?"  However regarding the Kees Mod-the sound is improved, the back yard hacks (no offence Kees) do know more, or at least by expreimentation have discovered more, regarding sound presentation.  The Kees Mod does help to control the bass (I don't find standard overwhelming, but I concede that the Mod improves overall balance without sacrificing bass depth, power or impact) and the mids (which are pretty good in standard form) are more predominant.  The  Kees Modded Pro 900 is very balanced, smooth, has a fairly forward presentaion ( not as forward as a Grado), still with a bass orientation and still very detailed and yet very musical to my ears (not analytical).  The Pro900 does require a decent amp to perform at the top of its game, however I don't think it necesssary to seek an expensive top end amp for this.

Aug 13, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 31

Quote:
Kernmac, thanks for the reply. Which amp or amp/dac you recommend to use with pro 900 =D ?

I really don't have a lot of experience with amps, I have only had two desk top amps, fullstop. Both SS amps, the Meier Corda Cantate and the Little Dot MKV matched well with the Pro900.  I haven't had any experience with lower cost amps (however the MKV is very well priced) I would guess the Meier Swing would do well with the Black Ultrasone, however I think you are best to ask the question of "which budget amp...." in the amp forum.  Obviously, there are headfiers with a lot more amp knowledge/experience than me.

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #14 of 31

Quote:
The Kees Mod is Great.  I am from the school of "Why would backyard hacks know more than large corporate companies (and their R & D department)  regarding end product sound from their headphones?"  However regarding the Kees Mod-the sound is improved, the back yard hacks (no offence Kees) do know more, or at least by expreimentation have discovered more, regarding sound presentation.  The Kees Mod does help to control the bass (I don't find standard overwhelming, but I concede that the Mod improves overall balance without sacrificing bass depth, power or impact) and the mids (which are pretty good in standard form) are more predominant.  The  Kees Modded Pro 900 is very balanced, smooth, has a fairly forward presentaion ( not as forward as a Grado), still with a bass orientation and still very detailed and yet very musical to my ears (not analytical).  The Pro900 does require a decent amp to perform at the top of its game, however I don't think it necesssary to seek an expensive top end amp for this.

It´s not a question of knowing more. It´s just that companies want to make profit and they cut corners to maximize it. I wonder what company that has any success in this business doesn´t. But most don´t use specific dampening materials anyway.
if it´s 10$ with labor to add cheap ass damping on the Pro series that is quite some money in large quantities.

As for amps Goldpoint headphone Pro V9 and Trafomatic Head One is a lot better then any of the previous amps I have heard. Most of then was a bit cheaper. old slee solo, canamps and the likes. But well I am insane so you will probably be happy with lower offerings as I was with these but they do scale :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back