Do thick copper headphone cables really matter?
May 22, 2009 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

elitiste

Head-Fier
I would like to solicit your opinion regarding whether the thickness of copper headphone cables really matter to SQ. (I cannot afford a silver cable upgrade, nor can I afford the ultra-pure OCC types. I understand that for speakers wires, heavier wires matter up to a certain point.)

Here is a picture of a cross-section of the cable on the current flagship model of a popular brand. The SQ of the phones are very good. One thing that I noticed is that while the overall thickness of the cable is impressive (almost as thick as a 6.3mm plug), the copper wires themselves are not that thick (about 0.75mm in diameter each). Does it mean that the thickness doesn't matter? In your experience, is there a certain thickness that I should thrive for? (I was told that the Senn HD650s sport cables as thick as 1mm.)

May 22, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No.

x2

May 22, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 19
Nope.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 19
They matter a tiny amount, far less than what you plug it into.

May 22, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 19
Wow, unanimous opinion thus far. I was expecting some people ruling for thicker cables...

Well, that's good to know. No wonder AKG only uses 99.99% OFC on its top of the line phones.

May 22, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 19
Thickness of the cable is only necessary depending on how much current and power you are carrying across it IMO (why power lines are thicker than ones that come from most mainstream outlet appliances).
I've not had the experience of comparing things of similar-ish quality (only those with awful and 'good' quality) but I would hazard a guess that thickness is the least important thing.
Shielding, and metal type are probably more important.
Still, I dont think you are going to find a reason to need to use a heavy guage copper wire for any headphone application.

May 22, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #11 of 19
I agree with ericj here.. adding a $300 headphone recable rather than spending the same on an improved source or amp to me is a little silly. Biggest upgrade I've ever made was getting a semi decent tube amp, over a SS amp. Still, thick cables do look nice, and may be a little less microphonic perhaps?

May 22, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still, thick cables do look nice, and may be a little less microphonic perhaps?

Can somebody educate me on what is "microphonic?" What makes a cable "microphonic?" I saw this word used by the Product Manager from Shure describing the engineering of the new Shure headphones.

May 22, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #13 of 19
When the cable rubs against your clothes, the table, etc., if the sound is transmitted via the jacket to the earphone cups, and thereby amplified. Think 2 cans and a string. The vibrating string transmits the sound.

May 22, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by elitiste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can somebody educate me on what is "microphonic?" What makes a cable "microphonic?" I saw this word used by the Product Manager from Shure describing the engineering of the new Shure headphones.

buy or try an etymotic er4
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back