Do I need an EQ or an Amp for my Sony XB 500s?
Jul 21, 2012 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Exigence

New Head-Fier
I'm really new to the whole Equalizing and Amps business. I just have some questions about it:
1. Is an EQ and an Amp the same thing? Can they be?
2. Do I need an EQ/Amp (or both) for my XB 500s?
3. How do I use it?
4. Which do you recommend ($25 and under please :) I'm very on-budget)

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 13
You don't need an equalizer, and you probably don't need an amp. They're not the same thing. If you find that you music player doesn't provide enough volume, you can add an amp. Fiio offers an amp under $25.

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
I'm really new to the whole Equalizing and Amps business. I just have some questions about it:
1. Is an EQ and an Amp the same thing? Can they be?
2. Do I need an EQ/Amp (or both) for my XB 500s?
3. How do I use it?
4. Which do you recommend ($25 and under please :) I'm very on-budget)

What source(s) do you plug your headphones into?

Jul 21, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 13
With that budget, skip the amp... it's not worth it and not for this headphone. I've got an FiiO E5 and I thought it sounded WORSE with XB500 than without. With bass boost on it muddied up the sound more and with bass boost off it sounded too "sterile" like some1 sucked out all the fun of it.

XB500 will benefit from EQing though but you're not gonna get a separate EQ for that price unless you buy that cheap ASUS soundcard which doesn't really have that much better EQ than an onboard Realtek chip's EQ on a computer. I would suggest looking into freeware software EQs instead, a good start is for example using foobar2000's EQ to familiarize yourself with it.

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 13
The Sony XB500 are only 40-Ohms, easy to drive.

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 13
I have the Sony XB500 playing music from my iPhone 4 through my Fiio E6 Amp and Fiio L9 LOD Cable.

To be honest, it sounds much better using the "Blue" EQ Setting on the Fiio E6, which I assume is a Mid-Range Boost (since the 500's lack Mids and Highs).

Then again, you could probably achieve the same results (and tweak it more to your liking) by EQ'ing it.

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #12 of 13
I was using XB500 with Fiio E11, there was an impressive difference in sound quality and volume, they also responded well to EQ which I feel is a must for something like XB500, to lift the warmth slightly and take out some of that mid bass. They also benefit lifting treble regions, flat they sounded down right awful.. The thing is on Head-fi is you'll find people that swear black and blue an amp won't help because headphones or IEM's are low impedance, others saying it's only needed for more volume, etc etc... Then on the other side of the fence you have people saying it will help / there will be changes. Happens almost every thread relating noobs asking for amp suggestions.

The best thing is to try it yourself, it's only a small amount for an E6, let yourself decide. Not someone decide for you.

Jul 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #13 of 13
i'm currently using an XB500 UltraMod and i'm using ProCo cables with it.. connected to an E11 and to my iPod 6G Classic..

it has a Boomy & Punchy bass.. great for RNB (bass boost), Dubstep and/or the like :wink: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back