Do i need an amp?
Jul 8, 2010 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

xxmastaxx

100+ Head-Fier
I have the Sansa Clip+ and the Audio Technica ath-m50s and i was just wondering if i would need an amp so the sound quality would better? Is it also true that amps are bad for headphones later on? Will it effect the sound quality of the headphones?

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 18

Quote:
I have the Sansa Clip+ and the Audio Technica ath-m50s and i was just wondering if i would need an amp so the sound quality would better? Is it also true that amps are bad for headphones later on? Will it effect the sound quality of the headphones?

Probably but I would stick to an amp either at or under the 100 dollar mark. 
Amps bad for headphones? No. In some cases they are required to provide the necessary power to the headphones. 
It will affect the sound quality. You'll probably get stronger bass and the phones might give you more "energy" due to them being driven better. 

Jul 11, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 18
What amp would you recommend?

Jul 11, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 18
If you like the sound of the ATH-m50 out of the Clip, then don't bother with an amp.  However, if you want an amp take a look at the Fiio E7, Ibasso T4/T3.  Maybe even build yourself a CMOY.

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 18
What about NuForce or anyother brand that maybe worth the $100? Is it possible to try out headphone amps in stores like Guitar Center before buying or maybe i could just ask some workers what they prefer best with my m50s :p

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 18
Try a cmoy first, it's competent and the financial outlay is low. I'm not guaranteeing success with the M50s, but I've had good results with cmoys and dynamics before. If the cmoy doesn't do anything for you & the M50s, I don't think anything will (outside of coloration). 

Jul 11, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 18
 [size=10pt]To sum it up: [/size]

[size=10pt]If the achieved loudness is adequate and there's no perceivable noise and/or distortion, then an extra amplifier will serve no useful purpose, except maybe the convenience of having the analog volume control handy.[/size]

Jul 11, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
What about NuForce or anyother brand that maybe worth the $100? Is it possible to try out headphone amps in stores like Guitar Center before buying or maybe i could just ask some workers what they prefer best with my m50s :p

You're probably not going to find any headphone amps at Guitar Center besides portable guitar amps with headphone outputs.

Quote:
Try a cmoy first, it's competent and the financial outlay is low. I'm not guaranteeing success with the M50s, but I've had good results with cmoys and dynamics before. If the cmoy doesn't do anything for you & the M50s, I don't think anything will (outside of coloration). 

A cmoy will most likely just give better volume control (if you get one with a bass boost, then you'll have a bass boost too). That's been my experience with my biosciencegeek cmoy. It doesn't really make my music sound better, but it doesn't make it sound worse either. I've had much better results with my mini3. That, and a 75 ohm impedence adaptor help me get the last little bit of speed, detail, and soundstage out of my HF5s. Not a huge improvement, but

I haven't heard the m50s, but based on their specs and price, you'd be better off buying better headphones. Amps aren't always the answer, and they don't really provide a whole lot of improvement.

So, no, you don't need amp.

Jul 11, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 18
^ you've been using BA IEMs though. I've had good results with cmoys on some dynamics - HD595, HD465 etc... Not sure about the M50's. I suggested the OP give the cmoy a try, it's good cheap and capable, and he'll find out for himself if it makes a difference. 

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:

Icon Mobile is great for my headphones (D2000), but if memory serves me right, at50s might not benefit much from amping.  There's no doubt that amping it will be better, but will you really see a substantial difference making it worth the 100 bucks?

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
Icon Mobile is great for my headphones (D2000), but if memory serves me right, at50s might not benefit much from amping.  There's no doubt that amping it will be better, but will you really see a substantial difference making it worth the 100 bucks?

That's a good question. My opinion? Yea.... but that's coming from me and I like spending money an audio gear :)

Jul 12, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
^ you've been using BA IEMs though. I've had good results with cmoys on some dynamics - HD595, HD465 etc... Not sure about the M50's. I suggested the OP give the cmoy a try, it's good cheap and capable, and he'll find out for himself if it makes a difference. 

Dynamics? I've got a few of them... I've used my cmoy with my RE0s, S4s, Portapros, KSC75s, and HA-RX700s too. Pretty much the same results: 1-2% improvement or so and better volume control. The RE0s did improve quite a bit more (8-10%? it's hard to put it on a scale) with my mini3 though. Mainly with making the soundstage more 3-d and picking up the speed.

Maybe the OP should give the Fiio E5 a shot? It's even cheaper than a cmoy. I haven't heard it though, but there's plenty of people around here who have.

Jul 12, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
Dynamics? I've got a few of them... I've used my cmoy with my RE0s, S4s, Portapros, KSC75s, and HA-RX700s too. Pretty much the same results: 1-2% improvement or so and better volume control. The RE0s did improve quite a bit more (8-10%? it's hard to put it on a scale) with my mini3 though. Mainly with making the soundstage more 3-d and picking up the speed.

Maybe the OP should give the Fiio E5 a shot? It's even cheaper than a cmoy. I haven't heard it though, but there's plenty of people around here who have.

This is similar to what I've read others have gotten from amping dynamic IEMs as well... I personally think it has to do with the QUALITY of the dynamic driver itself outside of the sensitivity/impedance issue. 

Single BA armatures dont' get that much of an increase in amping either.... although multi armature phones benefit a lot (UM3X from experience). My ER4Ps don't benefit from amping with an ALO Rx. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back