"Do I need an amp?" Well, I'm glad you asked...
Feb 10, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #106 of 115

This is simply not true. That additional power will never be used unless you increase the volume. Extra power only does one thing--increase the volume. There is no magic pathway for power to follow that increases sound quality without increasing volume. 

The above statement assumes that an amp is operating within its current and voltage limitations. There could be cases where an amp cannot provide enough current or voltage into load A even though a calculation based on power into load B suggests otherwise . But that is just a matter of using the correct calculation and enough data--you may need more information than only an amplifier's published specs. 

Please note that I'm not saying all amplifiers with similar power specs sound the same. I agree that some headphones "scale" with amplification. But it's not a question of power. 

Also, nice work OP. This is a great resource as long as it's not taken as the final word in whether or not a given amp will sound good with a given headphone. 

You might want to read up on "headroom" in regards to your first paragraph. Just Sayn'

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #107 of 115
The above statement assumes that an amp is operating within its current and voltage limitations. There could be cases where an amp cannot provide enough current or voltage into load A even though a calculation based on power into load B suggests otherwise . But that is just a matter of using the correct calculation and enough data--you may need more information than only an amplifier's published specs. 

For example, here is the power output of the Project Ember. This is what you need to know for every amp. 

Unfortunately, there's no way you could deduce this from typical published power specs of the form "Peak power = 2.4 W into 64 ohms."

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #108 of 115
  You might want to read up on "headroom" in regards to your first paragraph. Just Sayn'

No. Headroom is just volume. If an amp has enough power to reach 120 dB (technically 120 Db at all frequencies so max_over i (power needed to reach 120dB at frequency i), then it has all the headroom you will ever use. And your preferred listening volume will still use the exact same amount of power on either amp.

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #109 of 115

No. Headroom is just volume. If an amp has enough power to reach 120 dB (technically 120 Db at all frequencies so max_over i (power needed to reach 120dB at frequency i), then it has all the headroom you will ever use. And your preferred listening volume will still use the exact same amount of power on either amp.

If I may quote Wikipedia:

In digital and analog audioheadroom refers to the amount by which the signal-handling capabilities of an audio system exceed a designated level known as Permitted Maximum Level (PML). Headroom can be thought of as a safety zone allowing transient audio peaks to exceed the PML without damaging the system or the audio signal, e.g., via clipping. Standards bodies differ in their recommendations for PML.

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #110 of 115

If I may quote Wikipedia:

In digital and analog audioheadroom refers to the amount by which the signal-handling capabilities of an audio system exceed a designated level known as Permitted Maximum Level (PML). Headroom can be thought of as a safety zone allowing transient audio peaks to exceed the PML without damaging the system or the audio signal, e.g., via clipping. Standards bodies differ in their recommendations for PML.

Yes, I just described one possible definition of PML. You could use a different one if you want. All boil down to a power requirement--that is my entire point. Power above that level (and a good deal of it below that level) will never be used or heard, and thus cannot possibly contribute to the sound quality of an amp. 

Don't you see how this is irrelevant? Do you actually listen at PML? No. 

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #111 of 115
The 120 db goals most seek allow for 90 dB averages listening levels (pretty loud!), with headroom for 30 dB peaks, the largest I've seen in a recording (classical). 120 should be more than plenty for most people, is the idea. But to each his own. You could experiment and set your own personal goal peak level with test tracks and an SPL meter.

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #112 of 115
yup I go with 115db for my estimation and already feel very safe given the actual dynamic of most musics and how loud I listen. it is a worst case scenario and does have plenty of "headroom".

now of course I would love to have for all amps the output at 1%disto for plenty of loads just like for the ember graph. it would make the job easier for us to know if we can pair a given headphone than 32ohm , 150ohm 300ohm and deal with it. most of the time it's enough to get an idea but I certainly don't cry when I can get a few more values and up to 600ohm.

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #113 of 115
Hello friends, 

I made a few updates to audiobot:

- Front page simplified to include most popular headphones/amps/combos based on site data
- Added a "Brand" page
- Added a "By Price range" page that updates hourly
- Included "related items" based on specs+price for headphones using dot product comparison (math!)

Enjoy!

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #114 of 115
No Garage 1217 amps? Really?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back