Do I need an AMP/DAC for the Focal Clear MG?
Nov 14, 2023 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

noblevo

New Head-Fier

Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

Hi all, I'm new here and I don't want to come off as ignorant so ignore me if I say anything stupid.

I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to AMPs & DACs but I have received some suggestions from a reputable person at the Podcastage Discord who knows about this stuff. I'm looking to get some more opinions from a broader audience here. I should mention that I have a Rodecaster Duo and was considering running the Focals through it since they're very easy to drive, but some told me I wouldn't get the full "experience/as good of a sound when compared to a properly paired AMP/DAC."

I wouldn't know because I haven't got an AMP/DAC to compare side by side with my interface, so what I'm planning to do is pick up the most suggested unit(s), the one that makes the most sense for the Focals and if I don't notice a significant improvement during A/B tests I'll return it. That's if you guys really think it's worth it to get an external AMP/DAC to begin with.

I should mention the Focals will be the only headphones I'll be using and my budget is $700 USD and below, if that's overkill.

Some suggestions I've received thus far were:

Garage1217 Project SUNRISE 3.1 - Schiit Asgard - AKM DAC "(the modern Velvet Sound^TM)." He wasn't too clear on that one."

Also curious what people who've tried both the OG Clears and Clear MGs prefer.

Nov 14, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 5
i would definitely recommend a dedicated DAC/Amp, as you will get much better clarity, as most interfaces are designed for speakers, and the headphone output is just piggybacked off the main output, then it has to be filtered to the right voltege/wattage. this means a lot of clarity/detail/accuracy lost.

i might recommend using a slightly cheaper unit to start with, as i'd say $700USD is definately overkill.
maybe see if you can fing a ifi Hip Dac on the second hand market

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #4 of 5
I have/had both the Clear OG and Clear MG Pro. Basically, I like both and would choose either one (and be happy with my choice) if I only could have one.

Looks wise, it is a toss up between the two since the all grey looks good on the OG, while the Clear MG Pro with Elex Pads and a black headband cover made it look stealthy.

Soundwise (not the most knowledgeable), I preferred the Clear OG sound as it feels a little bit more exciting all around than the MG (not my much though as I would rotate between them often and they still have the Focal house sound). Stage sounded similar to my ears on both, so no real comparison. I think you would not be disappointed either way. The only reason I even got the Clear MG Pro was due to the color way and I knew from owning the OG, the MG Pro would be a similar tuning I would enjoy.

Nov 29, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 5
There is no reason not buying DAC/Amp sets or a combo unit if you want to enjoy music. The real question is your budget, your use case (whether a desktop unit or a portable one, or both) and your potential future upgrade. To me, $700 is not an entry-level but (normally) not an end-game level too. It's not overkill at all. In Hifi world cost (normally) is directly linked with quality. Starting with relative good gear is a better choice than trying cheaper things and error, especially considering your potential future upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back