Do I need amp/dac for my Senn HD 598 setup?
Jun 11, 2012 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jerrylundergard

New Head-Fier
Yo wassup!

I just ordered the senn hd 598.

I plan to use it with my mixamp and antlion modmic for gaming which I dont believe will need any extra amping. My question is when its hooked into my wifes IPAD 2 while it need a dac or is the dac inside the IPAD 2 good to go? If no DAC needed with that setup would it benefit from an amp? If so which one is recomended.

I also have a EVO 4g that I would suppose needs no dac? How about amp, would same amp for IPAD be desireable here? Im guessing so. I will also be getting the Samsung Galaxy 3 in a bit if that makes any difference.

MY PC is connected to my HT but should I ever use my headphones on my desktop I have a brand new asrock h77 mobo and decent realtec 892. I understand no soundcard needed for this unless I dropped 200$ which aint gonna happen, correct? Would asus dg be a complete waste of money? How bout amp here? Some one as listed above?

Thanks for any suggestions on AMP/Dacs that you could recomend for my gear...

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 5
Difficult to answer... Do you want a Portable Amp or a Desktop Amp? If you want both, I suggest the Fiio E17/E9 DAC/Amp combo for both portable and desktop flexability and they match nicely with MOST Sennheiser HPs (Yes I tried the HD598 and it benefits from both the E17 and E9). However, I find the HD598s fine without an amp, but Amping it does improve the overall quality of the sound IMO (as in more refined and emphasized bass and smoother mids etc..). And for your phone and iPad, I don't think you need a DAC..

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
I just ordered the senn hd 598.
I plan to use it with my mixamp and antlion modmic for gaming which I dont believe will need any extra amping. My question is when its hooked into my wifes IPAD 2 while it need a dac or is the dac inside the IPAD 2 good to go? If no DAC needed with that setup would it benefit from an amp? If so which one is recomended.
I also have a EVO 4g that I would suppose needs no dac? How about amp, would same amp for IPAD be desireable here? Im guessing so. I will also be getting the Samsung Galaxy 3 in a bit if that makes any difference.
MY PC is connected to my HT but should I ever use my headphones on my desktop I have a brand new asrock h77 mobo and decent realtec 892. I understand no soundcard needed for this unless I dropped 200$ which aint gonna happen, correct? Would asus dg be a complete waste of money? How bout amp here? Some one as listed above?
Thanks for any suggestions on AMP/Dacs that you could recomend for my gear...

Not cheap to hook up an external DAC to apple portable products, so skip adding a DAC.
Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier and Fiio L cable would be a good value for improving sound.
I would recommend the Xonar DG (or DGX) sound card for your PC, should have a better DAC then what comes built into the motherboard.
The DG/DGX come with Dolby Virtual Headphone 5.1
You can also plug the Fiio E11 into the Xonar DG/DGX sound card.
The Xonar DG can very easily power the HD598s (50-Ohm), but the Fiio E11 is a little better at driving 50-Ohm headphones.

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 5
Well i have a portable and a desktop amp. I like both, but prefer the sound coming from my full size amp. 

The Fiio E7 is a practical device for the 598's. You dont have to spend lots. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back