Do 'High-End' Audio cables matter?
Nov 10, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #886 of 1,128
I put upgraded copper RCAs in rout to the sub amp sets in my wife's car. I swear I could hear a difference. She really does not seem like the type who would get into a booming car stereo but she is fully into it! 

No matter what you do or who makes it, car stereo is still fully cheesy though. I guess that is what is so cool about it. It is like headphones with too much color.......wrong but still fun.

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #887 of 1,128

Quote:
I put upgraded copper RCAs in rout to the sub amp sets in my wife's car. I swear I could hear a difference. She really does not seem like the type who would get into a booming car stereo but she is fully into it! 

No matter what you do or who makes it, car stereo is still fully cheesy though. I guess that is what is so cool about it. It is like headphones with too much color.......wrong but still fun.

its all about the bass when it comes to cars. and im all about fun and wrong 
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #888 of 1,128
Wrong fun FTW

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #890 of 1,128

Quote:

At those SPL competitions where a bunch of idiots destroy their hearing for life, yeah it's dumb. The level of sound quality that can be achieved now in a car though is pretty incredible considering the space is so hugely compromised.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #891 of 1,128
See for yourself.  Using Foobar and the ABX comparator plug in, you can make ultra hi-def recordings with the cable as the only variable.  You will not score above guessing if you do enough (at least 10-12) attempts.

I have a Zana Deux, and did it with a P.S. Audio DAC, a Zero DAC, and a Little Dot Dac.  using several different Zu interconnect cables (against a $3 radio shack RCA), and a Cardas, and Stephan Audio headphone cable (against the stock Sennheiser).  No difference to my ears - and that is not subjective, the AB-X tests proved it for me.

The only time I can realistically tell a bona-fide difference is in comparing the Zana against my $150 Sony stereo receiver, or one of the DAC's headphone outputs.  Even then the differences aren't what I'd call night and day.

Bearing all that in mind, I now seriously question - outside the aesthetic value - the $5K I have invested, when a > $1K system will easily sound identical.

Your brain will believe what it wants.  Sometimes the only way to KNOW is through OBJECTIVE, not SUBJECTIVE research.

Nov 10, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #893 of 1,128
Top post oatmeal769.
beerchug.gif

Nov 10, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #894 of 1,128

Quote:
That's funny, seeing how the biggest draw for Schiit amps and other similar amps is their ungodly and unnecessary amount of power.

the he-6 being the exception.

Nov 10, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #896 of 1,128
-doublepost-

Nov 10, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #897 of 1,128

Quote:
See for yourself.  Using Foobar and the ABX comparator plug in, you can make ultra hi-def recordings with the cable as the only variable.  You will not score above guessing if you do enough (at least 10-12) attempts.

I have a Zana Deux, and did it with a P.S. Audio DAC, a Zero DAC, and a Little Dot Dac.  using several different Zu interconnect cables (against a $3 radio shack RCA), and a Cardas, and Stephan Audio headphone cable (against the stock Sennheiser).  No difference to my ears - and that is not subjective, the AB-X tests proved it for me.

The only time I can realistically tell a bona-fide difference is in comparing the Zana against my $150 Sony stereo receiver, or one of the DAC's headphone outputs.  Even then the differences aren't what I'd call night and day.

Bearing all that in mind, I now seriously question - outside the aesthetic value - the $5K I have invested, when a > $1K system will easily sound identical.

Your brain will believe what it wants.  Sometimes the only way to KNOW is through OBJECTIVE, not SUBJECTIVE research.

"This is wrong, because I heard it." Of course, such incidences of sighted listening where such preconceptions were formed are prone to about three different kinds of bias, but never mind, because it was heard.

That hypothetical response is prettymuch the entire cable believer position, distilled down to its essentials. Everything else is just icing on an absurdly illogical cake in an attempt to make it metaphorically edible.

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #898 of 1,128

Quote:
No, not an exception. Lots of amps can power it fine. Half a watt will do in most cases.

won't it still sound underpowered though? like lacking bass and dynamics?

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #900 of 1,128
Quote:
won't it still sound underpowered though? like lacking bass and dynamics?

If you can think of a valid reason why 110 dB (or 113 dB, which is still under 1 W) isn't enough for dynamics and bass volume at regular listening volumes, I'd love to hear it.

As far as I'm concerned, this is just another audiophile misnomer to get people to spend more. Just like "high resolution" digital files, and cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back