Do 'High-End' Audio cables matter?
Oct 24, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #166 of 1,128
The existence of rainbows is not an unfalsifiable hypothesis. Your example is irrelevant.

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #168 of 1,128
...Weren't rainbows incorporeal, invisible gnomes of folklore and spoken word... until we could take photos of them?

No. Anyone could and can see a rainbow. They may not have had the correct theory to explain it but that doesn't negate its existence. This is the exact opposite of cable theory (I hope this term enters the scientific lexicon). Observable changes from different cables are not reliably repeatable (a key element of scientific method).

Man, has this thread taken a turn to the tangential.

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #169 of 1,128

Quote:
However, if there is not a single test that can prove these differences exist,

Between what specific pairs of cables? The ones I've owned that altered the sound tonally surely have to be measurable. I do intend to try this, when I can be bothered setting up a Windows PC (as I don't know of any suitable Mac software for it).

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #170 of 1,128

Quote:
     Quote:
Can you link to a good example of where an ABX study failed, where the difference should be audible?

No, I know of none. I can show you loads of ABX where there is no evidence of an audible difference and ABX has backed that up by people being unable to hear any difference. Yet in a sighted test there is now a difference.

Quote:
Between what specific pairs of cables? The ones I've owned that altered the sound tonally surely have to be measurable. I do intend to try this, when I can be bothered setting up a Windows PC (as I don't know of any suitable Mac software for it).

Please bother and bring evidence to the debate. And please find evidence and then make your mind up, rather than making your mind up and then only look for evidence to suit your already decided case.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #171 of 1,128

Quote:
This topic was already very well worn out on "HD650, the veil is gone!" Lets not let it blow up like that one did. Plus, shouldn't this be in Sound Science? And why are all cable aficionados so reluctant to post any scientific measurements or results of ABX testing? To me, all this points to one conclusion...

I think the thread is exactly where it should be - or at the least it was - it’s the science related comments that should not.

the Admin in here is very tolerant - too tolerant - of this level of thread-crapping and trolling, imo.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #173 of 1,128

Download Fuzz Measure its a good mac program for measuring frequency response.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #174 of 1,128

Quote:
To be fair though, if kept on topic the thread would just be full of :
Yes
No
Yes
No
Yes
No

that's true. however the bottom line is: I have tried high-end cables therefore I can say something about it. none of you has. no-one.

let me give you an example: let’s imagine the OP question was about a place he/she was considering to go on holiday. the difference between you and us is that you’ve read some brochures about this place, a few comments here and there, but you’ve actually never been there.

us,  on the other hand, we’ve been there, lived there – some may few weeks, other few years - have experienced the place.

comprende?

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #175 of 1,128
Quote:
that's true. however the bottom line is: I have tried high-end cables therefore I can say something about it. none of you has. no-one.

let me give you an example: let’s imagine the OP question was about a place he/she was considering to go on holiday. the difference between you and us is that you’ve read some brochures about this place, a few comments here and there, but you’ve actually never been there.

us,  on the other hand, we’ve been there, lived there – some may few weeks, other few years - have experienced the place.

comprende?

So because your brain interpreted what very well could be biases and expectations as audible differences with nothing but subjective experience to back it up, and because even though we have studies and measurements that show no difference we haven't yet experienced those same biases, we should believe you instead?

Your analogy isn't complete. We read a brochure that makes no mention of the pink elephant sitting in the corner of the hotel lobby we plan to stay at. You've been to that hotel and you've seen the pink elephant. The pink elephant has never been photographed, not by all the tourists who stay there. But we should believe you that there is a pink elephant. That's about what you're arguing.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #176 of 1,128
Lenni, are you also the only one who has done any repeatable, verifiable testing on high end cables?

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #177 of 1,128

comprende?

I triad them as I posted before,... Top end Cardas Clear interconnects and usb cables. The difference I heard (assuming it was not placebo) was so small that I was not even sure I really heard any difference. Many would also say that although not top of the line the K702s and Burson are extremely detailed and resolving I would expect to hear a difference.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #178 of 1,128

comprende?

No comprende.

Are you suggesting that the only people who are saying cables don't make a difference are those who have never tried one? Sorry if I completely misunderstood your point.

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #179 of 1,128
Quote:
I triad them as I posted before,... Top end Cardas Clear interconnects and usb cables. The difference I heard (assuming it was not placebo) was so small that I was not even sure I really heard any difference.

It's good. Help you save money =)

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #180 of 1,128
Cables can absolutely sound different.  Whether you decide different means better, especially within the specific context of system configuration, with the most expensive cables sounding the best-est...that's an entirely different equation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back