Do Grados Irritate Your Ears?
Sep 21, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #31 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian_the_King /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not sure this is really indicative of what a Grado can is like. But ok.

No...thats not even close to Grado sound ..but thats a Treble sensitivity test. if u can tolerate it..u ll enjoy Grados

I tried SR80 ...the Sound very naked

Sep 21, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #32 of 60
wow, after reading this thread through, i just lost a little enthusiasm for dipping in the grado product line.

i do have a new found interest in bringing a crateload of grados to australia and selling em though
beyersmile.png

Sep 21, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #33 of 60
Hello, I have no experience with the grado sr60, but I have owned the sr325i and I have at this moment the rs1. Comfort is okish although they begin to irritate me if I wear them for longer times because they rest on my ears and the material feels rough, I am using the bowl pads (the were also on the 325i).
I thought the brighter/more upfront the osund was the better it would be for me, but the rs1 is just toomuch. It has a very small soundstage (imho) and a very bright treble, Ineed to turn the volume up because the sound is so involving/to get the most out of the music with the rs1. but their sound gets fatiguing very quickly, because of the brightness/narrow soundstage. My rs1 is recabled with a black dragon cable/furutech plug. Aldo, I did not really notice tha tmuch difference bwetween the sr325i and the rs1 while the rs1 IS a lot more expensive.....
Greetings, Anouk,

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #34 of 60
Not at all, I feel like the Grados were made for me, both phyiscally and sound wise.

My HD555 on the other hand, I don't like how they sit on my ears.

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #35 of 60
No irritation for me. The sound can get pretty bright when using bowls with an amp that lacks "synergy" with a Grado but flat pads can knock that down some. As for the comfort of the foam, I haven't had any problems with either flats or bowls. I usually wear my Grados for a number of hours (5 or 6 on average) and wear glasses.

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #36 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuphones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, some posters have noted that grados have high/strong treble response which can irritate their ears. Given what I've gone through, I DO NOT want to risk such a problem.

Then you'll have to go listen to them first. Everybody has different criteria for what constitutes bright or dark or whatever, so forget about using people's opinions to decide what you might or might not be able to tolerate. The Beyer DT880 was apparently bass-shy, but it's bass-shy like Pitt/Jolie are publicity shy. Go listen to the SR60's. If you like them, you would probably like the line.

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #37 of 60
Ex MS2i owner. Comfort or complete lack thereof was primary reason for dumping them. Earpads were very irritating plus ears were touching white mesh protecting drivers which was unbearable just after a little while. Stupid twisting cord, and fully insecure when wearing sliding every time I was tilting the head. In a couple of days they developed grattle I guess hair just got onto driver as the only protection is that white mesh. And by the end of the week left driver just quit.
frown.gif

And sonic wise they didn't do anything that much better than other cans to live with that. Add excessively bright highs and complete lack of soundstage and you'll get a picture of what to expect from them.
Anyway that was my first and the last encounter with Grado/Allesandro line. Never touch another one with ten foot pole.

Sep 22, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #38 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, sometimes. Usually, though, it's mostly with my heavy metal 325is, and then only after over an hour, sometimes two. My sr80s can be worn for hours.

Yes, the 325i are for treble-lovers..

Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of music do you listen to?

Grado's are mainly best for rock and metal..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Must be different for each of us. I can literally wear the Grados for up to 6 hours and be comfortable. I also wear eyeglasses.

I wear eyeglasses and can wear my 225's for more than 6 hours without a break.. (Yes I didn't go to the bathroom and eat or drink)
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you choose RS-1 (or even RS-2) they will not bother you IF you opt for the flat earpads. Also, suggest going with a tube amp re treble.

Tube amps cure the spiky trebles and high-mids.. Sound becomes "mellower".. Flat pads may bloat the bass..

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just want to chime in that I listen to SR225 with bowls. I wear glasses and I can listen for up to 8 hours at a time, no problem*.
*Of course I take short breaks to eat/use the bathroom.

I wear eyeglasses and can wear my 225's for more than 6 hours without a break.. (Yes I didn't go to the bathroom and eat or drink)
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using SR60s, and wear glasses as well. For the first week or so, until I got the headband adjusted right and the pads got broken in, I felt some mild discomfort. Now, however, I find them to be my most comfortable pair of headphones.

very_evil_smiley.gif

I remember my first 2 weeks
frown.gif
I couldn't wear my 80's for more than 15 minutes but after that, it was just magical! The bowls softened, I adjusted the headband correctly, and voila! I really regret the GS1K pads I bought to increase the comfort..

Bowls are perfectly comfortable!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddoingwell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uncomfortable? Intolerable. Uneven, squashed sound. How did these things get such a fab reputation anyway? I had a set of Grado 60s and hated them. After buying a set of lowly Philips SHP8900s (for way less $$$) that completely blew the Grados away, I sold on my set of 60s at a 50% loss. Truth told, I'd probably have given them away. I'd never go that route again and they started decomposing the first day I had them. Grado is VERY expensive in Australia and even harder to buy. Why bother when there are so many great headphones in the less-than-$100 category?

Don't tell me about the Philips sound quality please! They are not specialized in headphones; no way! (Cries for the money lost on Philips cans before discovering Head-Fi)

Quote:

Originally Posted by syndrome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not at all, I feel like the Grados were made for me, both phyiscally and sound wise.
My HD555 on the other hand, I don't like how they sit on my ears.

Yep, 555's are way less comfortable than Grado's..

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No irritation for me. The sound can get pretty bright when using bowls with an amp that lacks "synergy" with a Grado but flat pads can knock that down some. As for the comfort of the foam, I haven't had any problems with either flats or bowls. I usually wear my Grados for a number of hours (5 or 6 on average) and wear glasses.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ex MS2i owner. Comfort or complete lack thereof was primary reason for dumping them. Earpads were very irritating plus ears were touching white mesh protecting drivers which was unbearable just after a little while. Stupid twisting cord, and fully insecure when wearing sliding every time I was tilting the head. In a couple of days they developed grattle I guess hair just got onto driver as the only protection is that white mesh. And by the end of the week left driver just quit.
frown.gif

And sonic wise they didn't do anything that much better than other cans to live with that. Add excessively bright highs and complete lack of soundstage and you'll get a picture of what to expect from them.
Anyway that was my first and the last encounter with Grado/Allesandro line. Never touch another one with ten foot pole.

Slow lad.. Remember that there are many Grado lovers here.. It seems like you're getting revenge or something..

Relax please.. Grado's are decent, recognized headphones..
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #39 of 60
In the first 2 weeks my RS-1 is very painful to wear. However, once the metal headband bend to the shape of my head, it became ok. It is now reasonable to wear (can wear it for many hours), but it will never be the most comfortable headphone.

As for high frequency etc, I tend to use the oversampling option on my DAC to overcome this. So not really a big issue.

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #40 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuphones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I listen at low levels, will be safe, or will the treble response irritate me anyway?

Glad you asked. I'm a metalhead, and my Grados (SR-325 (non-i)) are great at protecting my hearing from my primal urges. I'm pretty sensitive to highs, and my ears will ring for a day or two at the slightest provocation. The only time Grado treble bothers me is when the music is too loud in the first place. If the highs get piercing, I know I need to turn it down. At low volume, I personally think they sound very natural, all the detail is maintained, and they still slam.

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #41 of 60
I have my RS-1 for 2 weeks now and still have problems to get used to them. The upper mids are too bright for my liking. To make them listenable I have crank down the volume somewhat but lose the bass punch at the same time.
frown.gif
Maybe it's my setup, my B22 is probably too transparent for this headphone.

I'll try the flats. If they don't do it, the RS-1 will simply find a new home. As for comfort they're not too bad. The sound irritates my ears much faster than the pads...

Oct 12, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #42 of 60
Rock n roll all the way! I'm really grooving to a lot of classic rock from the 80's and 70's recently. When it doesn't irritate my ears, of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of music do you listen to?

Oct 12, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #43 of 60
For what it's worth, I did not find the SR-60's sonically or physically comfortable. I am somewhat easily fatigued, but the Grado's did it very quickly.

But, they are inexpensive and popular for sale/trade around here, so you could always pick up a pair and pass them along if you don't like them.

Oct 12, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #44 of 60
I love the sound of the RS-1's but they definitely wear out my ears. Very uncomfortable after an hour or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back