Do Grados Irritate Your Ears?
Sep 20, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #17 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Must be different for each of us. I can literally wear the Grados for up to 6 hours and be comfortable. I also wear eyeglasses.

I really agree with you Aimless1. I think those comfort issues with Grados are well exaggerated. I used to have Sennheiser HD590 which are considered the most comfortable of all Senns and I find Grados even more comfortable. RS-1 are very comfortable on my head, with both flats and bowls, and SR-60 are like heaven when it comes to comfort. This is the "I forgot I was wearing them" type of comfort. It may not be a big deal but I think those comfort issue talks can make some people - who can't try Grados on in their local store - avoid them. I know something about that as after reading all those comfort reviews I didn't want to even try Grados. I am glad I finaly did!

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #18 of 60
I found all Grados in the SR- line to be horrible in terms of sound. It literally felt like someone was pushing knitting needles into my ears. That being said, the RS-1 are my current cans.

I use the Senn 414 pads which are better than flats or bowls, but still not what I'd exactly call comfortable. I can (and do) wear them for hours but I will definately not forget I'm wearing headphones and my ears will get mildly irritated over time. I'd order C-Pads from Headphile in hopes of increased comfort, but don't know if I want to invest that much, rather than get new cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #19 of 60
I found my MS-1's to be one of the most comfortable pairs of headphones i owned, fell asleep with them on many a time. Also the RS-2's i owned were not bad also, right now i find my K601's more of an annoying fit with my small head.

Sep 20, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #21 of 60
If you choose RS-1 (or even RS-2) they will not bother you IF you opt for the flat earpads. Also, suggest going with a tube amp re treble.

Sep 20, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #22 of 60
I have the sr-60 and after washing the stock comfy pads and getting a beyer dt headband cushion I have no problem wearing them for 2-4 hours at a time. I listen to rock mostly and the treble is fine at a normal listening level.

Sep 20, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #23 of 60
No yellow waxy buildup in my ears anymore thanks to Grado 325i's.

I like Grados. For some reason the sounds suits me just fine.

They aren't for everyone's tastes. I'd begin with the SR-60's. Then if I liked them, I'd move one up the Grado food chain. I am up to the SR-325i. Eventually, I'll top out with the RS-1.

Cheers!

Sep 20, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #24 of 60
I've somehow managed to be oblivious to the existence of the 'soft' pads. Can anyone verify if they are more comfortable than the 414 pads? I could see that being the case if they were indeed softer, which would be nice
smile.gif
Shape-wise they're similar enough.

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #25 of 60
Just want to chime in that I listen to SR225 with bowls. I wear glasses and I can listen for up to 8 hours at a time, no problem*.

*Of course I take short breaks to eat/use the bathroom.

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #26 of 60
I used MS1's with reversed 414's and the comfort was just fine.

They're so light and they don't clamp at all. They just rest on your ears.

Sep 20, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #27 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. Perhaps I'm treble deaf as I've never really noticed a treble emphasis on the SR225 (thanks Brian
smily_headphones1.gif
). If you're sensitive to sibilance then perhaps you should avoid both Grados and the Beyer DT880.

Must be different for each of us. I can literally wear the Grados for up to 6 hours and be comfortable. I also wear eyeglasses.

yea rep it
gs1000.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #28 of 60
I'm using SR60s, and wear glasses as well. For the first week or so, until I got the headband adjusted right and the pads got broken in, I felt some mild discomfort. Now, however, I find them to be my most comfortable pair of headphones.

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #29 of 60
Uncomfortable? Intolerable. Uneven, squashed sound. How did these things get such a fab reputation anyway? I had a set of Grado 60s and hated them. After buying a set of lowly Philips SHP8900s (for way less $$$) that completely blew the Grados away, I sold on my set of 60s at a 50% loss. Truth told, I'd probably have given them away. I'd never go that route again and they started decomposing the first day I had them. Grado is VERY expensive in Australia and even harder to buy. Why bother when there are so many great headphones in the less-than-$100 category?

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #30 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuphones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm intrigued by the possibility of getting a pair of grados. There are two factors which serve as caution signs however.

First, some posters have noted that grados have high/strong treble response which can irritate their ears. Given what I've gone through, I DO NOT want to risk such a problem.

Second, there is the issue of upgrade-itis. Namely, the 60's seem to serve as just the first step in the ascension up the grado model line, with many moving to the 225's, and then quite a few more lusting after the RS line.

If I listen at low levels, will be safe, or will the treble response irritate me anyway?

I guess it depends on what you are used to. My favorite/reference is Sennheiser HD650 and the RS-1's treble is unbearable even after 150 hours of break-in; had to give it a try though, as it's legendary. I'll probably try them again in about 30 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back