Do Grados Irritate Your Ears?
Sep 20, 2008 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

nuphones

Head-Fier
I'm intrigued by the possibility of getting a pair of grados. There are two factors which serve as caution signs however.

First, some posters have noted that grados have high/strong treble response which can irritate their ears. Given what I've gone through, I DO NOT want to risk such a problem.

Second, there is the issue of upgrade-itis. Namely, the 60's seem to serve as just the first step in the ascension up the grado model line, with many moving to the 225's, and then quite a few more lusting after the RS line.

If I listen at low levels, will be safe, or will the treble response irritate me anyway?

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 60
If u are sensitive to Bright sound u wont like Grados.

just test this with any pair of headphones...take the EQ to Treble and try listening for like 20 mins.

if u dont feel irritated then u r fine.

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 60
Of the Grado's I've tried, they hurt my ears both internally (I hate the sound - waaaaaay to bright) and externally (I also hate the on the ear resting).

But that's just me. YMMV.

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 60
I have owned SR225 and RS2; I only find Grado cans uncomfortable when wearing glasses. I can go about two hours before any discomfort really starts. Without glasses, I've never listened long enough to really become uncomfortable [3-4 hours once].

Also your ears kind of 'break' the pads in a little bit, the first week or two might be rougher..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...take the EQ to Treble and try listening for like 20 mins...

I'm not sure this is really indicative of what a Grado can is like. But ok.

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 60
They do! All the Grado's I have tried so far have irritated my ears...

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #8 of 60
Yes, sometimes. Usually, though, it's mostly with my heavy metal 325is, and then only after over an hour, sometimes two. My sr80s can be worn for hours.

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #9 of 60
They don't have piercing highs... it's just that they emphasize more on treble and midrange than bass. That's what makes them sound somewhat "bright". Probably you should stay away from SR-325, but with every other you should be safe.

SR-60 are not the most comfortable cans but they are light and their pads aren't incomfortable either. Most users experiencing discomfort with them, don't adjust the headband to their needs. By factory default the clamping force of the headband is quite high, but as I said you can adjust and bend them to your needs.

If you like the SR-60... step up to the SR-225... and later to the RS-1. That's no recommendation. It's just what will happen anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh... and sorry for your wallet.

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 60
What kind of music do you listen to?

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #13 of 60
Interesting. Perhaps I'm treble deaf as I've never really noticed a treble emphasis on the SR225 (thanks Brian
smily_headphones1.gif
). If you're sensitive to sibilance then perhaps you should avoid both Grados and the Beyer DT880.

Must be different for each of us. I can literally wear the Grados for up to 6 hours and be comfortable. I also wear eyeglasses.

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #14 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreyj900 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comfort wise my RS-1's don't bother me. It seems I need to listen at a lower volume with the RS-1's than my HD-650's. It bothers me after a while if I listen at higher volume. I listen to mostly rock and acoustical music.

I agree with what jeffreyj900 says above.

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #15 of 60
For me, the pads were a bit uncomfortable, but now they're alright if I put 'em in the right place.

As for the highs, I use some software oversampling and it gets rid of any excessively sharp peaks. Normal redbook gets irratating after a while, but that is amp-dependant.

EDIT: Not saying that they didn't get softer, but yes, they are a bit hard at first. I never washed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back