Do full size headphones leak sound ?
May 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Meltdownblitz

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased some crossfade lp's and after testing them out I was not satisfied because these headphones leak tons of sound, I.e. Anyone sittig next to you WILL hear the whole song almost as loud as you do. So I emailed vmoda and their response was "this is common in most over the ear models." obviously referring to other models besides theirs because they only have 1 model. So my question is does YOUR over the ear (full size headphones) leak sound if it's up a little past half volume? And as you turn it louder, the sound gets louder on the outside to where it's Really loud?

Thanks!

May 6, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 10
There are open and closed over-ear headphones.  Like Charli3 said, closed headphones are developed such that noise produced as well as outside environmental noise, should stay seperate.  Open headphones, however, will allow for some degree of noise leakage both into and out of the headphones.

The degree of noise leakage can vary.  It can depend on of course, the volume at which you are listening.  They also are are different between headphone to headphone. 

May 6, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 10
my shure srh 840 leaks a little bit but they are generally not loud outside unless i put them at 80% or higher volume on my ipod.

May 6, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 10
My crossfade I noticed leaks right after around 50-60% volume. I guess that's decent considering there are air pockets to ventilate your ears. I don't hear much outside noise, I'd say its pretty good on noise cancellation.

May 6, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #10 of 10
Unless you listen for about a hour a day, you shouldn't be listening at levels that leak from a closed headphone.  I listen 8-10 hours a day so I listen at a low enough level that very open headphones leak very little.  I hear no sound holding my headphones at arms length with the music playing.

No studio monitors should leak sound.  If they leak, they're worthless as studio monitors.  The mikes would pick up the sound leaking out of the headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back