Do folks use their CIEM's at the gym?
Feb 8, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #16 of 29

I think a reasonable level of intensity is the only way to experience an effective workout.  You can achieve this in a variety of ways and powerlifting is one of those options.  Kettlebells, suspension training,what have you.  Everything except slowly trudging along on a treadmill/elliptical or lifting tiny weights.  The point being that the majority of people in a typical gym are only pretending to exercise and thus their earphones are not in danger.

Wrong thread I think.  We are talking about "sweat affecting IEM's" whether that be lounging in the sun in a lounge chair or working in a warm machine shop building tools.  Even still, you'd sweat MUCH more running 45 minutes on a treadmill than power lifting doing one set every 4-5 minutes.  Heck, you might not even break a sweat powerlifting since there is so much rest between sets.

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #17 of 29
love the thread hijack. most people in the gym are going thru the motions with little intensity. i love it when i see someone with a personal trainer and they arent even sweating.

back to the topic: my etys recently broke so i've use westone ciems at the gym. since i sweat a lot, i can speak with some authority here. for me, when wearing the westone, when i start to sweat i can feel the sweat drip and puddle around the shaft and the body of the iem. its annoying. with the etys i never get this sensation. maybe i have to replace ety filters 2x per year.

i have owned almost every iem by now and can recommend the following characteristics when considering iems for the gym:
1. weight. you dont want something heavy or you want ones that go over the top of the ear. heavy iems or cables will be a pain in the arse.
2. cable: you want a light cable that is flexible and with low microphonics. i find the ety cable to be great despite poor microphonics. i find the westone cable to be excellent and not too long. i find the shure cables to be too heavy and inflexible. also the shure cable sucks in terms of the connector with the ear pieces - they are not meant for active listening (535).
3. length: unless you are a giant, go with something 50in or less. i think 46in is perfect to go from dap at waistband to ear. too long and the cable snags too often. with certain iems this can cause discomfort and damage over time.
4. serviceability: its nice to have a headphone with easily removable filters.
5. lastly, in my humble opinion, ciems just arent necessary. they might be great for sitting still but less great in the gym. my westone 5s are a toss up and i actually prefer the etys when active. and for emphasis, etys cant be beat at their price and even double the price - bummer is the newer etys have 60in cables...

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #18 of 29
  Wrong thread I think.  We are talking about "sweat affecting IEM's" whether that be lounging in the sun in a lounge chair or working in a warm machine shop building tools.  Even still, you'd sweat MUCH more running 45 minutes on a treadmill than power lifting doing one set every 4-5 minutes.  Heck, you might not even break a sweat powerlifting since there is so much rest between sets.

Like you said wrong thread, but since you've supplied information you believe to be true I'll counter by explaining that the body adapts to cardio very quickly.  Anyone can build up cardio endurance in a relatively short period of time.  Also, the human body is not designed for long distance running and people who do so regularly usually do more to damage their health than aid it.  If you look at short distance sprinters and compare their physiques to that of distance runners you'll find they're more muscular with greater bone density (and healthier hips, knees and shins).

I promise you, building up to and squatting your one rep max will make you work harder than treadmill running.  People in the gym wrongly believe it's about time spent... but even if you're only interested in cardio you'll accomplish more with interval training (i.e. run fast for 30 seconds then slow down for a minute than you will with steady state trudging on a treadmill.

Finally, if you're exercising in a public gym people are going to talk to you, want to work in etc... That means your earphones come out so you can hear and interact.  Once they do sweat can get in your ears.  I've also found when I sweat a lot I create more soft earwax that infiltrates the IEM.  This is why my current, learned from experience policy is to favour cheaper dynamic drivers.  BA drivers respond very poorly to moisture and excessive moisture will destroy them.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #19 of 29
one word: Burpees. do 200 burpees, real ones with a good jump at the end, and your workout is done. lol. and so are you.

i would disagree about the BA claim tho. i have used etys in the gym and on the trail for years with good results... until recently, lol, lost a driver last week.

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #20 of 29
  Like you said wrong thread, but since you've supplied information you believe to be true I'll counter by explaining that the body adapts to cardio very quickly.  Anyone can build up cardio endurance in a relatively short period of time.  Also, the human body is not designed for long distance running and people who do so regularly usually do more to damage their health than aid it.  If you look at short distance sprinters and compare their physiques to that of distance runners you'll find they're more muscular with greater bone density (and healthier hips, knees and shins).

I promise you, building up to and squatting your one rep max will make you work harder than treadmill running.  People in the gym wrongly believe it's about time spent... but even if you're only interested in cardio you'll accomplish more with interval training (i.e. run fast for 30 seconds then slow down for a minute than you will with steady state trudging on a treadmill.

Finally, if you're exercising in a public gym people are going to talk to you, want to work in etc... That means your earphones come out so you can hear and interact.  Once they do sweat can get in your ears.  I've also found when I sweat a lot I create more soft earwax that infiltrates the IEM.  This is why my current, learned from experience policy is to favour cheaper dynamic drivers.  BA drivers respond very poorly to moisture and excessive moisture will destroy them.

Seriously dude?  You haven't told me anything I don't know.  I have been working out (weights and cardio) for over 35 years...YES 35 years with no more than 2 weeks off per year.  You are talking to the wrong guy on this subject matter.  
Okay, so YOU have earwax issues.  Doesn't mean everyone else does.  My JH5's are going on 4 years and I have sweated buckets on them.  They still sound like the day I bought them.  Ugly green oxidized original cable and all.  Please go to the General Discussion forum if you want to talk about working out or PM me off this thread.

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #22 of 29
Let's not de-rail this thread about effective workouts although I have definitely seen other gym users who seem more interested in watching TV or socializing with others than actually improving their fitness. What i will say is I sweat quite a bit even in my ear which is one reason why my Heirs keep popping out. I have ordered several sizes of Comply ' s that I will try as I think that is a good first step. My old Sony ' s never gave me this problem. I believe it's just the way these fit around my ear.

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #23 of 29
Kimchee posted somewhere this answer I really liked at the time:
-Taking a $500-$1000 custom outside the house made me paranoid that something would happen to it, so they mostly stayed in the house.

Don't know you guys but why risking such an investment? Either way, the reason to to gym is to workout, keep in shape, not concentrate about music... 

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #24 of 29
I used to use my 1964 Triples CIEM as my daily portable/ gym , but could never get that perfect seal and gave up on the custom route

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #25 of 29
Brannan, part owner of Noble, wears his K10s when he works out daily. (He is kind of an excersize guru while I'm the opposite)

As far as harming the CIEMs etc, he hasn't harmed then beyond repair....  but he does kill cables fairly frequently.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jul 6, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #28 of 29
would like to know more about this too !

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #29 of 29
I've already replied but I wear my TF10 customs and JH Roxannes to the gym and have for years now..I also use a hearing aid dryer after each session..

As for bike riding I usually wear and over the head portable that is open, so you can hear sounds around you from both ears..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back