Do earbuds require a tight seal like IEMs?
Sep 16, 2011 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Shriker

New Head-Fier
Hi all, new guy here.
Ive just bought myself the Klipsch S4 and have the Re-Zero on their way to me so i can test my first IEM phones out. Im not really liking the S4's at all even after burn-in as many of the high frequencies just arent there - Cocteau Twins sound underwater thru them! Anyway, i see the Sennheiser MX-980 old style earbud getting great reviews but i was under the impression that the modern way was all about the IEM with its tight seal so im a bit confused now. The big question is, do the MX-980 require a perfect seal to hear bass like an IEM does because i only have an old pair of cheap senn MX400 that are rubbish but improve tenfold in the bass when pressed in tight with a good seal which is utterly impossible without pressing and holding them tightly with my fingers.
If they dont require a tight seal like an IEM does, would they then be better than the S4 or Re-Zero? Isolation isnt really a big concern but im finding the S4 to be a bit uncomfortable.

Thanks all.

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 4
The MX980 may not provide the bass amount as S4 but overall clarity n showing details in music is much higher than S4. If you add ZO in the chain then it will greatly improve in bass region and even RE_ZERO willbe improve too. BTW if you want tigher seal with your earbuds then try Westone new custom shell for earbuds.

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 4
Earbuds don't require a seal, otherwise they would be IEM's and not earbuds.  The sound will probably be better if the earphones are seated properly though.  When you use earbuds you're not really supposed to have a seal, you should be able hear stuff around you.
The MX980's are better than s4's in my opinion although they're different styles of earphones.

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
Earbuds don't require a seal, otherwise they would be IEM's and not earbuds.  The sound will probably be better if the earphones are seated properly though.  When you use earbuds you're not really supposed to have a seal, you should be able hear stuff around you.

Surely that means then that users will hear huge differences in sound depending on ear shape/size and fit? Am i to understand it that these MX980 just sit over the ear canal and provide the proper bass level that way but that if you pressed them tight against the ear making the seal airtight that the bass would increase massively and then be seriously overblown?
Zarim, what do you mean by ZO?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back