Do Clear Replaceable Cables Still Turn Green? (UM3X, SE535)
Feb 3, 2011 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ricedemon

New Head-Fier
Hello! i'm down to my final 2 choices of headphones to buy. ive narrowed it down to the SE535 and the UM3x.

in the headphone i wanted
-replaceable cable
-clear housing

then i heard somewhere that the clear cables oxidize and turn green.. with the UM3x i dont have to worry about that because the cable is black when you buy it but the shure se535 comes with a clear cable.

the other thing thats been bothering me is people are saying that the UM3x sound stage is really bad and that for a person listening to regular mp3 its not going to sound good.

im coming from shure se310. the mids and vocals are clear, the bass is tight but not boomy, and the highs not that clear

i also have the monster coppers but the vocals werent forward enough and the highs were painful at times so i returned those.

from what i heard (from other people)

se535 have accurate bass,best mid, and okay high

UM3x stronger bass, forward mid, instrument separation, and detailed highs (but boring)

the sound stage is what im confused about cuz i still dont know what sound stage is.

i like hearing lots of random things in the recording but reviewers are saying even with all the details the UM3x is boring.. WHY IS THIS? :frowning2:

and if not the UM3x why would you choose the se535 (i guess i can buy the black cable if it does turn green)

THANKS.. last thread i promise.. i did buy the MTPC.. tried them and they were harsh maybe cuz im not used to dynamic) no where locally can i try the headphones

at earsolutions i can try the headphones and exchange for a more expensive one but if the UM3x is no good to begin with i dont wanna go through the costs of shipping it back and the trouble so thats why i made this thread

THANK YOU

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 5
I wouldn't worry about the cable discoloration; if you're really disgusted by the oxidation just replace the cable.  Besides, from my experience with the SE535 it's not as bad as it sounds.     

I've owned both IEMs.  Sound-wise, both the UM3X and 535 are really nice, but the UM3X is the only one of the two that I'd buy again.  The claim that they can sound boring is valid, especially if you're coming from something like the MTPC.  But that sensation is easily overcome after you get acclimated to the sound signature.     

Mar 23, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 5
This thread is a few months old but let me answer the question asked in the topic of this thread not answered by the existing posts

Yes, clear cables will turn green eventually after a few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back