Do China lied about their gymnast age?
Aug 25, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #106 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on your blatantly racist and offensive comment and blank accusations, I don't think anything can really give you positive impressions.

Chinese government still have some ways to go no doubt, but to put down a whole race because of it? wow...

I'm not racist. I'm critical of many cultures - including my own.

You have to admit that objections like this come from a pretty weird angle:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why we have to change under west's instruction?

Oh, ok, it's part of your cultural heritage to hide the chubby girl who sings like an angel back stage while the cute skinny girl dances around out front? To spend a huge amount of money animating digital fireworks for the viewers at home so that they don't get the impression that beijing has some smoggy air? To win hollow victories by deceit and government arm twisting?

Well ok then! In the spirit of political correctness and multiculturalism, I salute you!

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #108 of 165
Aug 25, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #109 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, ok, it's part of your cultural heritage to hide the chubby girl who sings like an angel back stage while the cute skinny girl dances around out front? To spend a huge amount of money animating digital fireworks for the viewers at home so that they don't get the impression that beijing has some smoggy air? To win hollow victories by deceit and government arm twisting?

To add detail to the actual story:

1) The using of 'singing double' was first revealed by the musical producer of the opening event on an official interview aired on next day after the ceremony on the national television network (CCTV). If they want to hide the truth, there was not need for them to proactively told people they were using a singing double or gave credit to the little girl that the world had yet to learn about. Somehow, the story was twisted by the Western media when they chose not to tell the whole story of how that little girls was made known to the world. Instead, the using of the singing double on the event seem more interesting and apparently, better fitting for a conspiracy theory on an evil government.

2) All the digital firm that aired on the event was made known to all the broadcasting networks period to the event (including NBC). Yet none of them refused to air it, nor put 'dramatized scene' on the corner of your screen. Many of the commentators didn't even mention what they already knew (but some did, as I did hear one of the commentator on a Hong Kong TV network told the viewer that some of the scene might be CG).

Things that needed to be clarified are: First, the firework were real, but for safety reason the helicopter wasn't allowed to chase it on top of the Beijing city, therefore the BOC decided to use CG instead. Second, the scene of the last footprint entering the birdnest isn't GC, it is real. Third, the info about using CG was, again, released first by the BOC official after the event on a news briefing - and again, the story was twisted by many Western media when they chose not to tell the whole story of how the info. was made known to public, or why did CG is used instead of a helicopter chasing firework in dangerously close distance on the middle of an overcrowded city? Apparently, focusing on the 'faking' part is better fitting for a conspiracy theory on that same evil government.

After knowing what actually happened on the days after the ceremony, and all the volunteering information, could you still ask the same question as whether BOC or the Chinese government is trying "to win hollow victories by deceit and government arm twisting?" Who are the real culprit here? Who are the people who decide not to tell the truth?

Aug 25, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #110 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2) All the digital firm that aired on the event was made known to all the broadcasting networks period to the event (including NBC). Yet none of them refused to air it, nor put 'dramatized scene' on the corner of your screen.

I heard that at least one of the major US networks stated it was tweaked video while showing it, I thought it was NBC but I could be wrong on that. I do remember hearing that ALL US networks were informed before the video was shown that it had been enhanced.

Aug 25, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #111 of 165
Let me tell you how ugly west medias are. They twist the truth and brainwash people.

On the Opening Ceremony manual performer list:
A. Peiyi Yang. (who sing the song)
B. Miaoke Lin ( the girl in red)
C. several names of different ethnic: a Mongolian name, a Korean name (millions of Korean live in northeasten China), a Uighur name and "etc".

I marked Peiyi Yang and Miaoke Lin's name on the attached Ceremony manual.

attachment.php

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Aug 25, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #112 of 165
Quote:

After knowing what actually happened on the days after the ceremony, and all the volunteering information, could you still ask the same question as whether BOC or the Chinese government is trying "to win hollow victories by deceit and government arm twisting?" Who are the real culprit here? Who are the people who decide not to tell the truth?

Yup.

Where i come from, birthdays don't change.

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #113 of 165
Quote:

Where i come from, birthdays don't change.

You can't change your birthday, but you can mistake others. If people can bring forward hard evidence (not the kind you find on some website) that contradict what the Chinese government has provided to the FIG and IOC, than I am in full support of judicial action against those who break the rules. The problem is, why must we assume guilty before any full examination? Instead, why shouldn't this be an issue of finding out why FIG is being so lazy on providing the public with a more comprehensive answer? If FIG has carried out a full scale investigation, I am sure most of us will be happy with their answer.

On the planet I live, everyone makes mistake, but not all of them are guilty.

Aug 25, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #114 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard that at least one of the major US networks stated it was tweaked video while showing it, I thought it was NBC but I could be wrong on that. I do remember hearing that ALL US networks were informed before the video was shown that it had been enhanced.

Yes, NBC did announce that the footprints were CG at the time of the airing. What appears to have happened is that after the ceremony, it was misunderstood that all of the fireworks were CG which wasn't the case, but the rumor spread like wildfire.

Aug 25, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #115 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, NBC did announce that the footprints were CG at the time of the airing. What appears to have happened is that after the ceremony, it was misunderstood that all of the fireworks were CG which wasn't the case, but the rumor spread like wildfire.

Again, though, the CGI footprints were indeed launched in real life; the government simply thought it dangerous to capture the event from a helicopter. If one had the chance to remain in Bejing's city streets during the ceremony, they would've witnessed the real-time fireworks.

Aug 25, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #116 of 165
Quote:

You can't change your birthday, but you can mistake others. If people can bring forward hard evidence (not the kind you find on some website) that contradict what the Chinese government has provided to the FIG and IOC, than I am in full support of judicial action against those who break the rules. The problem is, why must we assume guilty before any full examination? Instead, why shouldn't this be an issue of finding out why FIG is being so lazy on providing the public with a more comprehensive answer? If FIG has carried out a full scale investigation, I am sure most of us will be happy with their answer.

On the planet I live, everyone makes mistake, but not all of them are guilty.

So the registration records for 2004, 2005, and 2006 on chinese government websites aren't credible?

You think it's more likely that the records were wrong for three consective years and then fixed in 2007?

Aug 25, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #117 of 165
Quote:

So the registration records for 2004, 2005, and 2006 on chinese government websites aren't credible?

You think it's more likely that the records were wrong for three consective years and then fixed in 2007?

It's possible that a data monkey incorrectly entered the birth date in 2004 and the mistake was perpetuated for the next couple of years. Since there were no adverse effects from the mistake, no one noticed. When it became an issue in 2007 and the gymnast was flagged for being underaged, the mistake suddenly becomes very serious and was corrected.

Mistakes happen, even in America. Immigration workers routinely make transcription mistakes and assign people the wrong birthdates and birthdate forgery is fairly common for younger immigrants.

Aug 26, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #120 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoxMonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol of all the important political threads that get locked this one remains open

Frankly, I'm not alltogether sure that this one shouldn't be locked.

I will appeal to those who post here to not make stupidly hasty generalizations and overtly political statements. That WILL get the thread closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back