Do China lied about their gymnast age?
Aug 21, 2008 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 165

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
340x.jpg

IMHO, who are they kidding? I'm a chinese descent and I'll bet my savings this chinese gymnast is not 16 yo. She can pass for 14 yo, but for 16 yo, forget about it. Obviously she's good enough to win gold, however it's unfair for other contestant. To make a fair play for everyone, they should just lift the age regulation.

Aug 21, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 165
I would not be surprised if they fake this one as well... **shakes head**

Aug 21, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 165
Out of curiosity how is the age "limit" in this case unfair?
In most cases, a 16 year old would have a more physical and mental advantage let alone experience.

Nothing in the Olympics makes sense to me.

Soccer -- U20 w/ 2 player exception (hence Ronaldino & Robinho)

Basketball -- Balls to the wall dream team

Baseball -- Who is representing USA?

Volleyball -- Professionals again? But I must say I do admire Misty May & her lankey counterpart Kerri Walsh

Boxing -- Non-professional amateurs

what the hell? Where is the consistency?

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 165
Apparently she's actually 14. I read about some Chinese authority officially declaring her age as 13 nine months ago, and now they claim that wasn't true.

Granted, I read that on FOX news, a source less credible than China.
tongue.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 165
Does it really matter or affect anybody?

How does it affect the other gymnasts? Who's it hurt? Their ego is all, seeing as how they're getting beat by people much younger with less experience. The only people who complain, are the people who are getting beat...atleast, that's how it normally is.

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know 20yr old Asian women who look 12.

I'm not suprised, I have a friend of mine who is 28 yo, married and has kids already who can pass as 16 yo, however this chinese gymnast as 16 yo, forget about it.

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it really matter or affect anybody?

How does it affect the other gymnasts? Who's it hurt? Their ego is all, seeing as how they're getting beat by people much younger with less experience. The only people who complain, are the people who are getting beat...atleast, that's how it normally is.

There is actually legitimate concern. The Chinese gymansts are on average 30 pounds lighter, and about 4-5 inches smaller (I think). It is said that harder routines are easier for those that are smaller and lighter.

Another thing I heard being mentioned is that kids their age are less intimidated and don't fold under pressure as teens tend to do, essentially because they are ignorant of a lot of things going on around them.

Not sure how true any of this is, but this is what others have said.

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soccer -- U20 w/ 2 player exception (hence Ronaldino & Robinho)

Just for the record, it's actually under 23 with 3 players exception per team ...

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #12 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is actually legitimate concern. The Chinese gymansts are on average 30 pounds lighter, and about 4-5 inches smaller (I think). It is said that harder routines are easier for those that are smaller and lighter.

Another thing I heard being mentioned is that kids their age are less intimidated and don't fold under pressure as teens tend to do, essentially because they are ignorant of a lot of things going on around them.

Not sure how true any of this is, but this is what others have said.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like American propaganda
from the NBC quote I heard that Phelps's accomplishments will make him a "billion" dollars within 5 years

I'm certain his marketable "Shelf" life is substantially less than Lance Armstrongs, Schumacher, Jordan, and Woods

Aug 21, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #13 of 165
and equally intriguing, did Phelps really win 8 gold medals?

click

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #14 of 165
The age concern I hear most often is that younger childrens' bodies are less equiped to handle the immense strain of some of these activities, and thus it is not morally acceptable to allow such young children to compete.

I'm not sure I agree, but that's another viewpoint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

click

Man, is that page ever silly. "0.01 of a second?!" They act like that amount of time is totally immeasurable or something. The freeze frame they use proves nothing. "Look, at a point slightly before the finish, Phelps wasn't winning! He couldn't have won the race!"

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #15 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

click

My view is that arms move faster out of water than under water. Phelps' arms were moving mostly without water resistance while the other guy's arms remained under water. This is the perspective that I took away from the many replays that I watched. The last touch from a visual perspective is very inconclusive to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back