Do cables make a difference in sound?
May 1, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #46 of 72
I think cables do make a difference, but spending a lot of money on some esoteric brands may not be a worthwhile investment. My affordable, well built AR interconnects sound like a million bucks.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

May 1, 2004 at 8:50 AM Post #47 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
One could say just the opposite too ... that those claiming to hear differences are predisposed to hear differences.... they wish to hear differences, .

Actually I almost posted this view as well including myself as a candidate
icon10.gif

May 1, 2004 at 9:08 AM Post #48 of 72
I voted yes (that conditional one). But I doubt the difference would be very noticeable if at all for well-built interconnects (lousy ones will be lousy. and good vs. lousy is probably detectable). But alas, I lack golden ears and I haven't really done any testing so I don't know.

May 1, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #49 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
One could say just the opposite too ... that those claiming to hear differences are predisposed to hear differences.... they wish to hear differences, they may resent forking over that kind of money and then assert that it's justified.

This would work if the differences were simply random, or always in favor of the "flavor of the month" or more expensive cable. They aren't. If a system sounds wrong, working with different interconnects and power cords can be as important as rolling tubes or the amp/headphone combination itself to getting the sound right. Once it is right, it tends to stay there. I have no explanation for this.

I wish I didn't hear differences. It would save me a lot of money. But I do, and they're not always what I expect, or hope.

May 1, 2004 at 3:02 PM Post #51 of 72
Do cables make a difference? You're joking right? I vote NO! NO NO NO NO NO NO! And NO again! And again! I wish I could vote more than once! I'd vote NO again! It's like asking, does one plus one equal three? NO! Will the sun stop rising tomorrow? NO! Want to know why? Go to school! Go to the library! Ask an expert (a REAL expert!)! THE ANSWER IS NO!

Just my humble opinion. You guys are fun.

But The answer is NO!

Negative! Nada! Zero! No difference! All right then? NO!!!!!!!!!

There are better argued posts in this thread. But there's no substitute for being RIGHT! It feels soooooooooo gooooooooooooood!!! THE ANSWER IS NO!

NO!

DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID!

But really, and much more importantly, you're good people. So please don't take offense.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2004 at 3:06 PM Post #52 of 72
EXACTLY! The answer is NO!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilanjan
I have little to add on this contentious topic. Read the attached series of posts from John Dunlavy, who was known as a brilliant speaker designer and electrical engineer.

http://home.austin.rr.com/tnulla/dunlavy6.htm

May 1, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #53 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve999
EXACTLY! The answer is NO!
biggrin.gif

Counting all your NO answers adds up to 16 NOs. But the Yes answers will still lead by a large margin
wink.gif

May 1, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #55 of 72
Yes, the answer is yes. Sure, the placebo effect does exist, too... but not with me!
biggrin.gif
Only rarely.

I have near zero experience with buyable cables, but have manufactured hundreds of own IC, headphone, speaker and digital cables, predominantly based on magnet wire. Magnet-wire cables -- consisting of dozens or hundreds of individually isolated (laquered) wires -- sound significantly different (smoother!) than braided cables with which the electrons can jump from one strand or wire to another. I have no idea why it is so, but one theory that could apply is the skin effect (electrons tend to move on the surface of a conductor). However, there's still a lot of mystery as to sonic differences with hi-fi components -- so far nobody can clearly explain why amplifiers that measure (virtually) the same sound different. So I wouldn't be too rigorous with cables, which at first look seem to offer no basis for sonic differences.

Of course the placebo effect plays an important part with music reproduction. But let's not reduce subjectively perceived sonic differences to it! It would be really sad if only measured data or sonic differences verified under laboratory conditions would count as facts. Whereas people who rely on their ears, such as Stradivari and the like (as well as all the audiophile electronics developers), would count as oddballs.

Anyway, I wouldn't pay thousands of dollars (or Swiss francs, resp.) for cables. I think many of the high-end cables are insanely overpriced -- if you look what's actually inside.

peacesign.gif

May 2, 2004 at 6:41 AM Post #56 of 72
my experience says that going from kimber pbj's to outlaws to siltechs that cables have made a significant difference in my system. fwiw. and for the non believers, Godspeed, your wallet will be much heavier for your belief.

May 3, 2004 at 3:41 PM Post #59 of 72
I had a recent experience that reafirmed my belief that cables make a difference. I don't believe that expensive cables always get you better sound, but for some reason or another, I have found that different cables do certain things better than others.

I have also found that certain cables work better in different systems. For this reason, it is hard to tell which cable is going to work until you try it.

Case in point: I wanted to try a silver cable in my Stax/KGSS system so I bought a used and well regarded Acoustic Zen Silver Reference on Audiogon. So I replaced my Cardas Neutral Reference and at first I really didn't hear that much difference. After some quick switching I thought I noticed that the Acoustic Zen had slightly better bass detail. I kept the Acoustic Zen in my system for about two weeks. For some reason I wasn't happy with the performance I was getting, but I did not associate anything to the cables. I was hearing a midrange suckout. I decided to try the Cardas again, and I was very surprised how much improved the midrange was--tonal balance was restored and the 3 dimensional imaging that the Omegas do so well returned to the midrange.

The point is that most of the time the differences in cables are very subtle but long term listening can reveal some nasty flaws that are completely unnoticable upon quick A/B testing.

I am still having some recessed midrange and treble problems which I am attributing to the KGSS. Since I can't get in touch with Denis, I am sending the amp to Mikhail for a diagnostic.

May 3, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #60 of 72
I gotta say, folks, I'm enjoying the hell out of these 'so called' cable differences that I cannot possibly hear. I mean that placebo thing is really working for me today ever since the DHL guy showed up with my VD Master interconencts. In terms of the placebo effect, I'd say that they are safely 20% more placebic than the VD Nites that they have replaced.

Of course, I've just listened to a couple of tracks. I started with Rebecca Pidgeon's "Spanish Harlem" which is a great test track (for those who believe in test tracks, that is). It's a track that I've heard AT LEAST 1,000 times, including 6 more today (2 times with the Nite interconnects, 2 times with the Masters, 1 more time with the Nites after allowing my smile to receed for a few seconds, then 1 more time with the Masters). Now I've started the disc from the first track, and am still getting lots of placebic vibes.

My dynamic headphone system is in real good shape now: Shanling CD-200 (modded and tube rolled), Angstrom Two Box, VD Master interconnects, VD Nite power cords, and R-10. I also use a Herbie's GrungeBuster CD mat and treat all CDs with Walker Audio Vivid after trimming them with the Audio Desk thingie - all of which add further placebos.

I'm going to go to Taco Bell now to see if they have any of those placebos on their menu, but first I'm off to Audiogon to find me some of them there VD Master power cords. Man, I feel so foolish to believe in what my ears are telling that I'm going to have to take a good look in the mirror to make sure I still have all of my teeth and no hay stuck in between them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back