do beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm need an amp? mobile and PC use.
Oct 30, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #18 of 34
Sorry for asking so many questions etc I'm very new to the audio scene.
by 'should work ok' do you mean that it will sound better then the 80ohms version? (keep in mind I do like my bass in headphones)

The lower the ohm resistance the easier the audio device is driven by an output device.

Given that the Fiio mk2 is rated as 300 means that it can drive anything up to 300 with ease.

Any device beyond that it might struggle to power. I mean it will work to a degree but it will sound a bit muted and underpowered.

And you are welcome for the help. That’s what a forum is for.

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #19 of 34
Don’t worry about asking too many questions you are trying to find the best fit for you with your hard earned money not a problem.
While I have not heard the Q1 but have heard the DT770 250 ohms but that was on a desktop amp . Just by specs it will run them but probably not real well.

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #20 of 34
Don’t worry about asking too many questions you are trying to find the best fit for you with your hard earned money not a problem.
While I have not heard the Q1 but have heard the DT770 250 ohms but that was on a desktop amp . Just by specs it will run them but probably not real well.

Alright, So the FiiO Q1ii (2nd Gen) can run the 250ohms but it will not sound as good as the 80ohms version becuase it cant drive it fully. So I guess I should go for the 80omhs version instead just to be safe.
Also, do the dt770 pro's have a good amount of bass? I would test them in a shop but high spec headphones are usually not in stores for testing in the uk. besides beats of course.

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #21 of 34
The lower the ohm resistance the easier the audio device is driven by an output device.

Given that the Fiio mk2 is rated as 300 means that it can drive anything up to 300 with ease.

Any device beyond that it might struggle to power. I mean it will work to a degree but it will sound a bit muted and underpowered.

And you are welcome for the help. That’s what a forum is for.
This is not always true. Sensitivity has as much or more on ability to drive. Have a pair of 46 ohm headphones that I bet the Q1 could not get much over normal conversation volume if that. They are 85 dB/mW in sensitivety and planar magnetic so it would not run them with ease.

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #22 of 34
Alright, So the FiiO Q1ii (2nd Gen) can run the 250ohms but it will not sound as good as the 80ohms version becuase it cant drive it fully. So I guess I should go for the 80omhs version instead just to be safe.
Also, do the dt770 pro's have a good amount of bass? I would test them in a shop but high spec headphones are usually not in stores for testing in the uk. besides beats of course.
Well your amount of bass and mine could be different as I’m not a big basshead but do like me some bass. The DT770 do have a good amount of bass . The lower impedance versions will probably be better fit for you .

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #23 of 34
Well your amount of bass and mine could be different as I’m not a big basshead but do like me some bass. The DT770 do have a good amount of bass . The lower impedance versions will probably be better fit for you .
Alright, so the dt770pro 80ohm with the Fiio Q1 MK II will be perfect?
just to confirm I will be using this on my PC for gaming, music and movies as well as on a plane etc listening to music and movies.
EDIT: I do have 5.1 speakers connected to my pc taking up my line in on my motherboard. Will that be a problem and how would i get around that?

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #25 of 34
Well since @Prototype.Prodigy has the Q1MKii and DT770 Pro’s I’ll let them guide you from here as I don’t have both so can’t say but since they do I’ll just stop here .

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #28 of 34
Well since @Prototype.Prodigy has the Q1MKii and DT770 Pro’s I’ll let them guide you from here as I don’t have both so can’t say but since they do I’ll just stop here .
One last question though. What would be the difference between the FiiO Q1ii (2nd Gen) and the Fiio E 17 for K. They are the same price so I was just wondering which one was better. Thanks!

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #29 of 34
To clarify some important details.

Headphone (Amp / Dacs) have more benefit than merely volume increase. They also add additional functions such as hardware based toggles for Gain (Input Voltage) and Bass Boost.

This allows you to drive Headphones / IEMs and In Ears with greater efficiency and clarity, which is important for higher fidelity listening devices.

In addition you will have 2 primary outputs:
3.5mm unbalanced Audio jack for standard unbalanced driver based audio devices.

2.5mm balanced Audio jack for balanced driver based devices. Which is arguably the much better and purer sounding option if available.

So in any case a quality Amp / Dac will be a worthy investment I think.
Not all DAC/AMPs have gain toggles, and most don't have a bass boost.

Driving audio reproduction devices with greater ___ while mobile is going to be negligible.

The output on DACs/AMPs are varied. You're not always going to have the unbalanced option, and this again is a marginal difference.

Tl;DR: You're not exactly getting sold snake oil, but they are hyping up something that will make very little difference for an 80 Ohm DT 770.

Based on what i've read apparently amps help a hell of a lot on mobiles. When I use my current astro a40tr's on my iphone x, they have no bass at all and sound incredibly weak.

Alright, thanks!

Do you think I could power the 250ohm version or would that be pushing it?

If you have headphones that are hard to drive an amp will help, yes. The DT 770 is not hard to drive at all. It was made for plug and play into laptops, phones, whatever. You also don't need the 250 ohm version of this headphone. The difference between the two will be exceptionally hard to notice in your use case. If you really want to do this go ahead. I'm just saying you don't need these things. There is no significant difference, especially not one you'd notice while commuting etc.

Oct 30, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #30 of 34
I don’t have either but the E17 brings more power for single ended as the headphones you want are not saying it’s better just has more power to bring and I’m all for more power. Don’t take my word for anything it is just my opinion on most of this . As you should on others. Take everything you hear here with a grain of salt as we like what we like and hear what we hear so it does not work for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back