Do Amps need a good old fashion burn in time to get the good sound as possible?
Mar 18, 2013 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kfki

100+ Head-Fier
I just got myself a Fiio E07K amp, at first I was reluctant whether do I need it or not. You see I feel SE535 sounds pretty good without an amp, but then after auditing it with the amp, it does give an extra punch to bass and treble. It gives the music a robust effect like wearing an full body armor suit! The difference was huge, so I decided to pick it up to give an extra boost to sound. But my question is does it require burn in time like the IEMs?

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
I just got myself a Fiio E07K amp, at first I was reluctant whether do I need it or not. You see I feel SE535 sounds pretty good without an amp, but then after auditing it with the amp, it does give an extra punch to bass and treble. It gives the music a robust effect like wearing an full body armor suit! The difference was huge, so I decided to pick it up to give an extra boost to sound. But my question is does it require burn in time like the IEMs?

Actually - it's generally accepted that the SE535 LE (having balanced armature drivers) doesn't need to burn in.  Nor does any of the SE line.  I've owned the 315, 425, and now own the 535LE.  In my experience the only thing that burnt in was my brain (ie getting used to the sound).

As far as SS amps go - again in my experience don't worry about burn-in.  The only amps I've known so far that have changed in sound have been tube amps - and I suspect that's the tube burning/bedding in rather than any of the electronics.  Anyway - I've noticed no change in any of the SS amps I've owned.

Lastly (again only my experience) - be kind of careful about claims of burning in SS amps suddenly gaining increased clarity etc (especially things like sound stage).  You'll get more change out tweaking crossfeed, or EQ (hardware or software).

I see you don't list your source.  My advice - save your amp for cans that need it.  The SE535 LE is incredibly efficient, and sounds great straight out of a DAP.  if you have a player with low impedance on the headphone out (eg I use both an iPhone 4 and an iPod Touch G4) - leave the amp out of it and make it truly portable.  I have an Arrow - but only use it if I'm travelling and intend taking my full sized cans with me.

Enjoy the iems though - I love mine !

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Actually - it's generally accepted that the SE535 LE (having balanced armature drivers) doesn't need to burn in.  Nor does any of the SE line.  I've owned the 315, 425, and now own the 535LE.  In my experience the only thing that burnt in was my brain (ie getting used to the sound).

As far as SS amps go - again in my experience don't worry about burn-in.  The only amps I've known so far that have changed in sound have been tube amps - and I suspect that's the tube burning/bedding in rather than any of the electronics.  Anyway - I've noticed no change in any of the SS amps I've owned.

Lastly (again only my experience) - be kind of careful about claims of burning in SS amps suddenly gaining increased clarity etc (especially things like sound stage).  You'll get more change out tweaking crossfeed, or EQ (hardware or software).

I see you don't list your source.  My advice - save your amp for cans that need it.  The SE535 LE is incredibly efficient, and sounds great straight out of a DAP.  if you have a player with low impedance on the headphone out (eg I use both an iPhone 4 and an iPod Touch G4) - leave the amp out of it and make it truly portable.  I have an Arrow - but only use it if I'm travelling and intend taking my full sized cans with me.

Enjoy the iems though - I love mine !

I've seen most hardcore audiophiles would tweak or rig their sound equipment as top notch as possible to their likings. They would alter their cables with third parties. I thought if SE535 were already sound awesome in my opinion, wouldn't they sound even more awesome if they're rigged. The good thing about amps is that you can control the input of Bass & Treble. I personally LOVE bass, so I would crank it all the way up, but I would crank just a little with the treble. Since you say there's no need for your MP3 player to carry a "jetpack". To be honest, this whole time I'm using my Sony Voice recorder as a MP3 player to play all my tunes, so I figure wouldn't it be OFFICIAL if I marry it with an amp, so the sounding would close to a mp3 player. I was quite surprise that my red goodies can make a voice recorder to a best sounding source device without the amp. Now with the amp, it is now a fully birthed beast!

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 8
Hey - if your happy with it, best of luck to you.

Just trying to balance out the "these sound better with an amp" BS.  They are very, very sensitive.  Again IMO - unless your DAP has a high impedance resulting in audible hissing, an amp is going to do very little if anything to improve the sound.  If you're using it for the tone controls (ie as an equaliser) and you're happy with it .... then continue.  But you realise that you can get the same effect with an actual equaliser right?  EG - iPhone 4 or iPod Touch 4 + Equaliser app = win.

Mar 18, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
I've seen most hardcore audiophiles would tweak or rig their sound equipment as top notch as possible to their likings. They would alter their cables with third parties. I thought if SE535 were already sound awesome in my opinion, wouldn't they sound even more awesome if they're rigged. The good thing about amps is that you can control the input of Bass & Treble. I personally LOVE bass, so I would crank it all the way up, but I would crank just a little with the treble. Since you say there's no need for your MP3 player to carry a "jetpack". To be honest, this whole time I'm using my Sony Voice recorder as a MP3 player to play all my tunes, so I figure wouldn't it be OFFICIAL if I marry it with an amp, so the sounding would close to a mp3 player. I was quite surprise that my red goodies can make a voice recorder to a best sounding source device without the amp. Now with the amp, it is now a fully birthed beast!

the se535ltdj do sound good ''rigged'' ok let me rephrase they sound blissful ''rigged'' the setup i was using was the se535ltdj-ibasso p4 warbler-lme49990 opamp-pure silver dream cable. even though the iems are efficent and do produce alot of volume even out of a iphone or ipod. having a amp,cable,source really makes them shine. the sound from that setup was unbelievable.

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Hey - if your happy with it, best of luck to you.

Just trying to balance out the "these sound better with an amp" BS.  They are very, very sensitive.  Again IMO - unless your DAP has a high impedance resulting in audible hissing, an amp is going to do very little if anything to improve the sound.  If you're using it for the tone controls (ie as an equaliser) and you're happy with it .... then continue.  But you realise that you can get the same effect with an actual equaliser right?  EG - iPhone 4 or iPod Touch 4 + Equaliser app = win.

I got it just merely a couple of days, the place I bought it, refuses returns/refunds! I guess I have to make it universally adaptable to every sound equipments I could think of like a PC or  a full fledged home stereos. Could a portable mini amp powerful to push the sound in the tower speakers of a home stereo? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back