Do amps burn-in?
Jun 10, 2010 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Kunlun

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got an ibasso T3 and I'm wondering if I should let it play for a period of time before giving it a real listen.

Will it improve with time and what sort of sound changes should I expect?

Jun 11, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 15
It depends on you. Some people just appreciate the changes (if any) by listening as per normal. Some want the best sound at once and will leave it for overnight burns like overnight torrent downloads (which in actual fact harm the sound, but I shan't go into that). I personally just listen to as per normal and try to "spot the differences".

Most likely you'll be able to perceive some kind of diference.

Jun 11, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
It depends on you. Some people just appreciate the changes (if any) by listening as per normal. Some want the best sound at once and will leave it for overnight burns like overnight torrent downloads (which in actual fact harm the sound, but I shan't go into that). I personally just listen to as per normal and try to "spot the differences".

Most likely you'll be able to perceive some kind of diference.

How does that harm the sound (assuming it's not set to an extreme of volume)?

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 15

I asked the owner of Stereo Electronics @ SG once, after I saw someone quoting him about 'proper burn-in' and got curious. He drew an analogy and likened it to muscles. Underused or overused, it's going to get awry.
He mentioned that proper burn-in is actually far more tedious and expensive than it looks - to get optimal effects you'll need to measure the hours, use proper methodology and equipment. But he also mentioned most people won't be bothered or don't have the money or knowledge/expertise for that, and so have to use cheaper methods. That misinformed people who think leaving components running day and night actually defeats the purpose, but he didn't mention details.

He also recommended an easy way to me to burn in headphones and amps - 4 hours of music, 2 hours off.

But then again you won't really know until you try it.
Quote:
How does that harm the sound (assuming it's not set to an extreme of volume)?

Quote:
Most modern designs using solid state components should not change. Especially with Op-Amps, where passive components (resistors and capacitors) determine the response. Those passives don't change.

Do capacitors not burn in?

Jun 11, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Do capacitors not burn in?

Depends. Power supply decoupling capacitors have so much margin in capacitance (well, if the design is done correctly), the change really doesn't matter to the performance. DC blocking capacitors are also selected in similar ways, only the very low end in frequency might be affected. If you pick the right type, the change is minimal. Most designs have much wider frequency response than speakers/headphones do, so the capacitors are really not limiting the performance, thus undetectable. Resistors determine the gain, but good quality resistors don't change.

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Just enjoy the darn thing, I have for a long time worried about burn-in and such. Now I am trying to enjoy the gear for what it is ... a hobby to be enjoyed! :wink:

Exactly! If you like it, just enjoy it and forget about those other things. The key is that you have fun.

Jun 11, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Just enjoy the darn thing, I have for a long time worried about burn-in and such. Now I am trying to enjoy the gear for what it is ... a hobby to be enjoyed! :wink:

So true.

Jun 11, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
Thanks for the comments.

I had heard that Nuforce company states that its amps must be used for 40 hours or so before the best sound is achieved.

I think one of their amps used a lot of capacitors in an unusual circuit design, and hence may have needed the capacitors reforming before the unit was used flat-out. If that is true then it is likely they would add a safety margin to the time. And if it is true it is the exception and not the rule, because most do not need any burn in at all.

The only things likely to change with time are tube cathodes (apparently part of the surface 'boils off' over a very long term), and poor quality electrolytic capacitors that can eventually dry-out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back