Do all amps sound the same.
Feb 17, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #46 of 112
I think the answer is that all amps should sound the same (since the design goal for amplifiers is usually to provide gain with no other change in the signal) but in the real-world it doesn't work out that way, at least for common consumer products. If all source equipment, IEMs, and the amps themselves were held to some kind of standard in terms of sensitivity, input and output impedance, etc. then all amps would probably sound the same. But this doesn't exist in the consumer world and the various mismatches at the input and output that exist between various amps and components can serve to affect frequency response, so they may end up sounding different.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #47 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audiolab 8000A was never very good, mate has owned all Audiolab & Tag gear including grey and black A's- he especially dsliked the grey A's. Try and get pre IAG 8000S or 8000Q. I went from S to Q.

Really? I think you need to go look up some reviews of Audiolab 8000A from mid 90's and earlier. It is the 8000A that had near cult status and not the later models. The year I bought 8000A (94 or 95) Brit HiFi awarded it best integrated amp in it's class. That means they rated it higher than it's competition from the likes of Arcam and Linn. The only people who didn't like 8000A are people who said it was too clinical and neutral. Well, that's how a good amp is supposed to sound and not colored and warm.

What HiFi gave my Onkyo an award in 2007 too so perhaps the reason it sounds the same as my 8000A is because it is a good amp too and not because 8000A was a bad amp as your BS claim. In fact 2 Onkyo's won awards from What HiFi that year and in the review for 855 they even say it sounds very close to the quality of an Arcam and the gap has been closed between common Japanese receivers and more esoteric Brit gear. No longer are good amps the domain of people with lots of money to spend. The technology is so good now that it is not hard to build a good amp for fairly cheap R&D.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #48 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have decent experience with tube amps, you may have noticed quite distinct differences among them, by tuberolling and of course in comparison to solid-state amps. People who are insensitive to such «glaring» differences disqualify themselves when it comes to high-quality audio in my book.

So all those pro audio people that failed the ABX test are disqualified from being valid test subjects or what? Or perhaps your testing methods are not valid testing methods at all. You said you have good memory of one amp, well, for your information, it takes less than one minute for your memory to distil to the point that your meory is completely invalid as a comparitive device. That's why they do scientifc ABX testing.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #49 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So all those pro audio people that failed the ABX test are disqualified from being valid test subjects or what? Or perhaps your testing methods are not valid testing methods at all. You said you have good memory of one amp, well, for your information, it takes less than one minute for your memory to distil to the point that your meory is completely invalid as a comparitive device. That's why they do scientifc ABX testing.

I agree that trying to compare gear by memory alone is not reliable, but the "one minute" thing isn't entirely accurate. It only applies to new stimuli. If the amp is something you've been listening to for a while, one can become better accustomed to it and have a better memory of it's sound. Still, hearing can change on a day to day basis and IMO the only reliable comparisons are where there is instant switching, with ABX, between two pieces of gear, or long term side-by-side comparisons of gear.

Feb 17, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #50 of 112
Quote:

Really? I think you need to go look up some reviews of Audiolab 8000A from mid 90's and earlier. It is the 8000A that had near cult status and not the later models. The year I bought 8000A (94 or 95) Brit HiFi awarded it best integrated amp in it's class. That means they rated it higher than it's competition from the likes of Arcam and Linn. The only people who didn't like 8000A are people who said it was too clinical and neutral. Well, that's how a good amp is supposed to sound and not colored and warm.

What HiFi gave my Onkyo an award in 2007 too so perhaps the reason it sounds the same as my 8000A is because it is a good amp too and not because 8000A was a bad amp as your BS claim. In fact 2 Onkyo's won awards from What HiFi that year and in the review for 855 they even say it sounds very close to the quality of an Arcam and the gap has been closed between common Japanese receivers and more esoteric Brit gear. No longer are good amps the domain of people with lots of money to spend. The technology is so good now that it is not hard to build a good amp for fairly cheap R&D.

Well the bloke upgraded to a S after he heard mine going. He did not like the grey Audiolab 8000A's, the black 8000A is better. He repairs Audiolab and said the grey models fail quite often. Like I said he's either owned or used every single Audiolab, including Tag models.

Said the A is too clinical but the S is neutral.

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #51 of 112
Quote:

You said you have good memory of one amp, well, for your information, it takes less than one minute for your memory to distil to the point that your meory is completely invalid as a comparitive device.

That's really not correct or accurate, given the present context, although this statement, or similar statements, are often advanced in these types of discussions. As pointed out above, the tests revealing short-term auditory memory typically involve certain types of new stimuli, such as test tones that the subject hears for the first time.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #52 of 112
Quote:

You said you have good memory of one amp, well, for your information, it takes less than one minute for your memory to distil to the point that your memory is completely invalid as a comparative device. That's why they do scientific ABX testing.

That's a misunderstanding. I don't have this amp anymore, but the comparison was of course made with all three amps in the house then. «In good memory» should just say that I liked it quite a bit then and remember well its sound compared to the others. Actually I don't use any of my speaker amps anymore since quite a while.

Quote:

So all those pro audio people that failed the ABX test are disqualified from being valid test subjects or what? Or perhaps your testing methods are not valid testing methods at all.

To me they absolutely are, more so than what I gather from typical DBT scenarios. I didn't mean to disqualify the above-mentioned test persons at all -- another misunderstanding --, I have not even thought of them during wording of my statement. In fact I feel a bit sorry for them; most likely most of them have heard a bunch of amps and think they all sounded different; some of them may feel quite a bit unsettled in their audio world view by the test result. And I think I could absolutely have been one of them.

I know of at least one Head-Fier who has been converted from a «cable believer» to a dye-hard cable skeptic -- disillusioned by the negative result of an absolved DBT. Now it isn't generally a bad thing to get unsettled in a personal conviction, let alone to be critical and skeptical. Personally I consider it just as important to be skeptical towards DBT and a general mistrust against the reliability of human perception. While I know that human perception is anything but perfect and 100% reliable, that doesn't mean you can't rely on your senses in the long run. Such a philosophy is downright misanthropic in my book. It represents a technocratic approach which is quite common these days (in extreme form on Hydrogenaudio -- although it does make some sense there) -- some sort of backlash to new age and neo-mysticism. If it were true, you couldn't even ride a bicycle. On the other hand, your senses aren't completely reliable -- that's why it's always possible to cause an accident.

In other words: It's easy to fool yourself in a given moment, but in the long run you won't be satisfied with the sound of amp A just because it has cost more or looks prettier, although in fact it sounds the same as amp B which has been cheaper. And you wouldn't get persistent results by comparing them.

As to DBT and ABX: It's easy to produce negative listening-test results. Just use an equipment that the test person isn't intimately familiar with and let it play in an unfamiliar listening room. Or play random music samples.

I know there are people pretending that they could hear the differences between amps or cables from the kitchen. They are just pretenders. It's not that easy. It's important to know that sound transducers are by far the least accurate device within a sound reproduction chain. The inaccuracies of amps are a few magnitudes smaller. So with an unfamiliar speaker or headphone it's very hard -- if possible at all -- to detect them. As soon as you know a sound transducer and its characteristic inside out, it's much easier.

BTW, I don't think anybody will deny that you can get used to a specific sound characteristic, such as the sound of your speaker or headphone system. Consequently a change of sound caused by a new component -- let's say new speakers -- will be immediately apparent. And this even if you haven't listened to them for some hours or even days. This examples puts the following, often cited claim into perspective: «...for your information, it takes less than one minute for your memory to distil to the point that your memory is completely invalid as a comparative device.» Another example: You haven't spoken to your mother since a few months. Suddenly the phone is ringing, and the first few words will let you recognize her voice, without her mentioning her name -- and this despite telephone sound quality.

Some more considerations to DBT: To enable the highest likelihood for detecting audible differences, it is extremely important to know which amp you listen to at the very moment. Of course not the type of amp, but let's name it amp A and amp B. The other (often used) variant, random music samples, is virtually doomed to produce negative results. Without anchor points within the chaotic pattern of sample series the ears are overstrained.

It's not like two almost identical pictures you can compare each time you change your line of sight within the fraction of a second, back and forth. With random music samples you get a constant change of signal shape, never will there be two identical sequences you can hear any time you like and compare any time you like.

So there are quite a few preconditions to fulfill for a promising DBT: extreme familiarity with the reproduction chain -- room acoustics, speakers, speaker placement --, if possible also with the recording(s), as well as a test array allowing the test person to choose between sample A and sample B any time. This scenario would provide almost real-world conditions, which I consider crucial. So, it's best, possibly mandatory, to absolve the test in the test person's listening room.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #53 of 112
In the R.A.O newsgroup there was an interesting amp DBT. The testee ( a self-confessed golden ears) was convinced of the superiority of his own high end amp ($12,000 Pass Aleph 1.2 monoblocs), amps he was very familiar with.

The testers brought their vanilla $400 Yamaha amp along to his set-up and plugged it into his high end reference system, allowing him to hear both amps with no time limits for swapping from amp to amp (manual swaps on one day and ABX box on the other) and with his own source material.

The testee insisted on on a second day of testing because he had done so woefully on the first (amp swap) day and was wholly unable to tell the amps apart.

On the second day the ABX box failed so it was a wash-out for that test.

Feb 18, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #54 of 112
I think it's important to bring up the caveats The Audio Critic (publication that got this conversation started) puts on the "all amps sound the same" claim. They state that any two well-designed amplifiers will sound indistiguishable from one another if they both:
  • have a high input impedence
  • have a low output impedence
  • have a flat 20Hz-20kHz response
  • are not driven into distortion
The flat response caveat would exempt most tube amps from the claim, would it not?

Also, The Audio Critic was talking about speaker amps. Since headphones are more revealing, it would be very interesting to see some headamp DBTs conducted.

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #55 of 112
Quote:

Well the bloke upgraded to a S after he heard mine going. He did not like the grey Audiolab 8000A's, the black 8000A is better. He repairs Audiolab and said the grey models fail quite often. Like I said he's either owned or used every single Audiolab, including Tag models.

Said the A is too clinical but the S is neutral.

Mine is black but what is different between black and grey besides the color?
Anyway, 800A was a good amp and you are wrong to say it is not, S is better but that doesn't make A bad, I was just pointing out that an Onkyo SR505 that costs a lot less in 2008 is equal to 8000A from mid 90s. You were trying to imply SR505 is a bad amp because 8000A is a bad amp. Both opinions are highly subjective and wrong. What HiFi didn't give award to SR505 just for the hell of it.

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:17 AM Post #56 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's really not correct or accurate,

It is according to the article I read just three days ago. One minute space between one amp to the other and your subjective opinion is completely invalid because your memory has already become too distilled. Common sense says to me the article is correct.

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #57 of 112
In the amp forum there are couple of posts from people complaining about spending big bucks on a new amp and it sounds no better than what they had already. ONe person from the UK said he was highly disappointed by his 1100.00 GBP amp when he found out it sounded no better than the 100.00 GBP amp he already had. My opinion is that there is something to these DBT and although there may be some sound differences in amps it is not nearly as much of a difference as some would have us believe and most people can not tell the difference. Anyway, just because one amp sounds different than another does not make it better than another because that is sound signature and not sound quality.

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #58 of 112
Have fun with all the hypothetical testing guys, I will be listening to sweet sounds coming out of my rig. Let me know when you figure out world peace and manage to fit it all nice and tidy in a pie chart.

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #59 of 112
Quote:

Mine is black but what is different between black and grey besides the color?
Anyway, 800A was a good amp and you are wrong to say it is not, S is better but that doesn't make A bad, I was just pointing out that an Onkyo SR505 that costs a lot less in 2008 is equal to 8000A from mid 90s. You were trying to imply SR505 is a bad amp because 8000A is a bad amp. Both opinions are highly subjective and wrong. What HiFi didn't give award to SR505 just for the hell of it.

I cannot say what the differences are- and won't give his email address, but if you google search for Audiolab repair in the UK you may find it. I'm not sure if he likes the black A on it's own, I think maybe he doesn't think highly of it (been a few years since I talked to him) but I know he dislikes grey A's. He did prefer the S over the black A.

I said nothing about the Onkyo. I ingore What Hi-Fi totally. No way a Onkyo av amp is better than the 8000S.

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #60 of 112
Quote:

No way a Onkyo av amp is better than the 8000S.

How do you come to that broad generalization ?

If amps do sound different why is it inconceivable that Onkyo might not have made some good amps , have you heard all Onkyo amps ?

Actually the 8000s is worse on several parameters than even my bog-standard non boutique 1990s Rotel RA932 and definitely technically worse than the Onkyo SR505 AV amp on noise. The 8000S (current version) specs out worse than a Rotel RA820BX from the early 1980s for noise and distortion.

For instance the 8000s has an SNR of 80db on line level inputs compared to the Onkyo's 100db. 80db is by 1990s standards very poor, it is not impressive by 1980s standards. Channel separation is 60db , is that some kind of joke, a NAD 3020 will do better than that , look it up if you do no believe me.

How this impacts on how it sounds I do not know but a marvel of engineerig it isnt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back