DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Mar 15, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #571 of 4,443
Quote:
Nice!! Are you going to compare vs the Invicta?

Not BDA-2 but BDP-2. It's playing through the Invicta via S/PDIF on BNC-1. It's a dedicated digital player (source) running a Linux daemon with no moving parts, a nice linear power supply and multiple USB inputs. Expensive for what it is, but it seems like a great dedicated and nicely spec'd/built piece of kit. Initial impressions are that it sounds awesome and is quite plug-n-play if you have a little computer knowledge. Come to the May Washington DC/Maryland/VA meet and check it out! :)

Edit - Oh, just saw that you are in California. I guess never mind about the May meet, but I'll update my thoughts on the Bryston when I have enough coherent thoughts to write down. 

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #572 of 4,443
Quote:
Not BDA-2 but BDP-2. It's playing through the Invicta via S/PDIF on BNC-1. It's a dedicated digital player (source) running a Linux daemon with no moving parts, a nice linear power supply and multiple USB inputs. Expensive for what it is, but it seems like a great dedicated and nicely spec'd/built piece of kit. Initial impressions are that it sounds awesome and is quite plug-n-play if you have a little computer knowledge. Come to the May Washington DC/Maryland/VA meet and check it out! :)

Edit - Oh, just saw that you are in California. I guess never mind about the May meet, but I'll update my thoughts on the Bryston when I have enough coherent thoughts to write down. 

Got it. Sounds like an interesting unit.

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #573 of 4,443
Quote:
Nice!! Are you going to compare vs the Invicta?

I'll chime in here. My current setup is the Invicta (as DAC) and the Stratus combo. I received the Invicta first, and used its integrated amp to drive my HD800 for two months before my Stratus arrived.

The integrated amp of Invicta (in single ended mode) did a fine job driving HD800. However, the Stratus is a noticeable step up in almost all aspects: soundstage, musicality, details, treble, midrange, bass ...   Having been enjoying the Stratus for about a month, I found it impossible to go back to Invicta's amp, which sounds unexciting to me now. ( I've never tried the balanced mode of Invicta's amp due to lack of appropriate cable.) With all these being said, the Invicta works as a FANTASTIC DAC.

BTW, I ordered three 5T4 tubes from the TubeDepot. I received them today, and immediate noticed noise coming from inside the tubes when just moving them (not even tapping them). One of the tube sounds like there are residuals inside. (I can hear them moving when I turn the tube upside down.) The other two tubes just sound like there is some loose part(s) dangling inside. Since these tubes are metal based, the inside is not observable. And I don't have a tube tester.

TubeDepot claims that all tubes they sell are tested. (This is one of the main reasons why I placed the order with them.) Are the TubeDepot and/or their claim reliable? Is it still safe to try these 5T4s on the Stratus, or should I contact the TubeDepot for a refund/replacement? 

Mar 16, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #575 of 4,443
Quote:
BTW, I ordered three 5T4 tubes from the TubeDepot. I received them today, and immediate noticed noise coming from inside the tubes when just moving them (not even tapping them). One of the tube sounds like there are residuals inside.

Annoying but harmless as long as you keep it off the plates.  Coated tubes tend to lose some coating in shipping or it could be a glass fragment from manufacturing.  Harmless just annoying.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #576 of 4,443
Quote:

Annoying but harmless as long as you keep it off the plates.  Coated tubes tend to lose some coating in shipping or it could be a glass fragment from manufacturing.  Harmless just annoying.

Thanks, Solude. But could you please explain for me what do you mean by "keep it off the plates"? I just want to make sure it won't do any damage to my amp. 

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #577 of 4,443
Basically keep it from being in contact with the metal in the glass.  The bottom 'wires' are harmless but the shaped structure should be free of debris.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #578 of 4,443
Quote:
Basically keep it from being in contact with the metal in the glass.  The bottom 'wires' are harmless but the shaped structure should be free of debris.

Now I get what you mean :)   The problem is that I am not able to make sure of this. Because I cannot see the inside of the tubes. The tubes are metal based as showed in the picture below

BTW, has anyone already tried these 5T4s on the Stratus or other amps? These are supposed to be sturdier and more reliable than the glass based 5U4G. But I'm not sure about their sonic characteristics. 

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #580 of 4,443
Quote:

Number 17 and loving it! Classical music is unreal on the Stratus... or so real it's unreal.

I still favor the Bryston BHA-1 for loud rock music though. At least until I experiment with some tube rolling.

Can you expand a bit further?  I listen primarily to rock (though not extremely loud) and would be concerned about getting an amp (in its default state) that isn't optimal with rock.

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #581 of 4,443
Quote:
Can you expand a bit further?  I listen primarily to rock (though not extremely loud) and would be concerned about getting an amp (in its default state) that isn't optimal with rock.

I listen to about 80% rock and metal. The Stratus crushes it with this music, and I'm using an HD800 which is not really known as a rock can. I think stock tubes may round the edges a bit which for cans like LCD's might not be optimal compared to SS. Of course, this will also depend on what type of signature you're after. Just speculating here.

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #582 of 4,443
Quote:

What third_eye said. I use the LCD2/3 for rock. The LCD2 has more upfront attack on the Bryston, to my ears. Listening to NIN, I noticed more extension in the lows and highs on the BHA-1 as well as less colored mids compared to the (stock) Stratus. But the thing is, I like the LCD3 on Stratus over the BHA-1. The bigger soundstage on the LCD3 meets the 3D soundstage of the Stratus. If you don't mind a little U-shaped sound, this combination is great for rock, soft or loud. Though I prefer mid-tempo classic rock or hipster indie rock on the LCD3/Stratus. It may apples vs oranges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back