DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Mar 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #557 of 4,447
Anti-cables are great!  Very similar philosophy.  So, yeah, forget my crazy recommendations and start there!

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #558 of 4,447
Quote:
Nice, Bud, congrats.

Back to the two questions:

1) My Stratus simply rests on top of the Triplepoints.  Do NOT use anything else to adhere them - it destroys the beneficial results.  The maple platform does have added benefits to my ears.  I also find that the Mapleshade Heavy Hats strategically placed on top of the amp help with resonance.  Again, I will post pics shortly.

2) In terms of cable, I could go on forever about the benefits of the right aftermarket cable for the HD800 with the Stratus but every time I do I nearly get chased off the forum by those who simply refuse to believe.  So my conclusion is that you can only know if an aftermarket cable is going to help you out by testing it for yourself.  That being said, 99% of aftermarket cables are built using nearly the same fundamental architecture as the stock cable, so it's no wonder to me that so many people don't hear a difference.  Yes, the conductor material matters - but I'm talking about much more than that.  I'm talking about finding a cable that doesn't use the detail-crushing dielectric materials and shields and connectors that nearly all cables use.  In other words, as long as you're taking any of the available versions of UPOCC copper or silver and encasing it in Teflon and metal shielding and using the same usual suspects of so-called audiophile connectors, then the sound will basically be the same as stock - and that sound is compromised.  The only way you will know it is compromised, however, is by overcoming our communal knee-jerk trust in all the fancy buzz-words and materials most after-market cable builders use.  So - I would say learn how to solder.  Then buy yourself different conductors and connectors and find the combination that works best for you.  Use the LEAST amount of material you can - bare wire, low metal-content connectors, no shielding, etc.  Start with the barest minimum.  Then add.  As things get compromised, take away again.  That's really the only way to prove it to yourself.  The other option is to take the stock cable and start stripping everything away - strip away the cotton outer layer, the Teflon tubing, the shielding.  Then strip the conductors bare, free them from being bundled and see what happens.   Each time you hear an improvement, keep going.  My suspicion is that the most bare-bones, stripped-down version of the cable will sound the best.  Finally, think about having the cable you end up with hard-wired to your HD800 drivers to cut-out the bottle-kneck of the Sennheiser connectors as well.  You will hear the music free itself from the grunge you may never have known was there.  Anyway, that's my recommendation if you really want to hear a real difference...

Thank you for that. Good info there. Have not gone the DIY route yet, but cables DO make a difference. If they don't you bought a crap cable or your system is not sensitive enough to go deep enough to tell the difference. Now they can chase off the both of us. But seriously back to the Stratus. Anyone with any new info?

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #559 of 4,447
Quote:
Nice, Bud, congrats.

Back to the two questions:

1) My Stratus simply rests on top of the Triplepoints.  Do NOT use anything else to adhere them - it destroys the beneficial results.  The maple platform does have added benefits to my ears.  I also find that the Mapleshade Heavy Hats strategically placed on top of the amp help with resonance.  Again, I will post pics shortly.

Thanks, fejnomit. I also checked their website. Now I get the point. Adhering them denies the purpose of the triple-micropoints design. And, BTW, I've already ordered a set of 3 micropoint footers, along with a maple platform 
size]
  I'd really like to try the more expensive Magic footers recommended by Bud, but still cannot justify the cost... 

I recently noticed a very very slight (barely noticeable) humming noise from my Stratus via my HD800 headphones while no music is played. I didn't notice the noise before, but I am not sure if I just hadn't been listen very carefully. I still enjoy my Stratus a lot, and the noise does not seem to affect sound quality while music is played. I'm just asking here out of curiosity.

The noise does NOT get louder when I turn up the volume. Adjusting the two noise numming tuners on the Stratus does not get rid of the noise completely. I also tried using two different pairs of 2A3 tubes (a EML mesh plate pair, and a Shuguang Natural Sound 2A3 pair), and heard the same noise with both. I don't have any alternative rectifier tube or driver tube to try with, though.

I am not sure if the noise is caused by tube microphonics ( I expect the coming micropoint footers and maple platform to address this issue. Or, should I also use some tube dampers?), some kind of electronic interfere, or a grounding problem, or a mixed effect of all three, or something else. (I don't have any fancy power conditioner. I just use a TrippLite LR2000 Line Conditioner for voltage regulating and surge protection. And I use Blue Jean interconnect RCA cable and stock power cables. My DAC is an Invicta from the Resonessence Labs.) 

Had any body here experienced similar problems with the Stratus? And were you be able to solve the problem? Look forward to suggestions!

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #560 of 4,447
@econparanoia, mine is totally black. Maybe try plugging in directly to an outlet, or possible, input/rectifier tube? Is the unit fully burned in yet?

On another note, I contacted Anti Cable and it seems Paul has made some headphone cables in the past for HD600 users, and can make an HD800 cable. I'll get info on pricing, etc.. in case anyone else is interested.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #561 of 4,447
Quote:
@econparanoia, mine is totally black. Maybe try plugging in directly to an outlet, or possible, input/rectifier tube? Is the unit fully burned in yet?

On another note, I contacted Anti Cable and it seems Paul has made some headphone cables in the past for HD600 users, and can make an HD800 cable. I'll get info on pricing, etc.. in case anyone else is interested.

I will be waiting to hear how you like that cable. Please keep us posted.

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #562 of 4,447
Just got my Stratus this week. First impressions of stock sound are very favorable. I'm liking its synergy with the HD800 and LCD3. Improved sound-stage is immediately noticeable. Immensely wide, deep and three-dimensional. My Bryston amp is narrow and flat-sounding, in comparison, as well as a noticeable step down in terms of instrument separation. Tonally, I'm hearing a slight U-shaped sound signature. The LCD2 and W3000ANV lose some of their mid-emphasis on the Stratus. The Bryston may be a better pairing for intimate-sounding headphones like the LCD2 and W3000ANV. Other headphones like the HD650, HE-500 and Denon D7000 reach their peak on the Stratus, though the HD650 is more dark-sounding than usual. A silver headphone cable might help the HD650.

So far, very impressed.

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #563 of 4,447
Quote:
Just got my Stratus this week. First impressions of stock sound are very favorable. I'm liking its synergy with the HD800 and LCD3. Improved sound-stage is immediately noticeable. Immensely wide, deep and three-dimensional. My Bryston amp is narrow and flat-sounding, in comparison, as well as a noticeable step down in terms of instrument separation. Tonally, I'm hearing a slight U-shaped sound signature. The LCD2 and W3000ANV lose some of their mid-emphasis on the Stratus. The Bryston may be a better pairing for intimate-sounding headphones like the LCD2 and W3000ANV. Other headphones like the HD650, HE-500 and Denon D7000 reach their peak on the Stratus, though the HD650 is more dark-sounding than usual. A silver headphone cable might help the HD650.

So far, very impressed

Thank you for sharing that! I think I recall reading somewhere that the soundstage is not very expensive on the Stratus - that it is rather immediate and upfront. Maybe I misinterpreted something that was meant to mean something totally different. Staging is a top variable for me when choosing equipment. Could you all expand on that aspect of the Stratus, relative to other amps you all have and/or heard with the HD800?

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #564 of 4,447
Quote:
Thank you for sharing that! I think I recall reading somewhere that the soundstage is not very expensive on the Stratus - that it is rather immediate and upfront. Maybe I misinterpreted something that was meant to mean something totally different. Staging is a top variable for me when choosing equipment. Could you all expand on that aspect of the Stratus, relative to other amps you all have and/or heard with the HD800?

I have heard that, too. So definitely take my impression with a grain of salt. The Stratus is my first desktop tube amp.  Most of my listening experience so far have been with solid state amps like the Bryston, the Burson Soloist and HA160, the Graham Slee Ultralinear. The Stratus destroys those amps in almost every aspect of sound stage - depth, width, height and precise imaging due to excellent instrument separation (a weakness of solid state amps which tend to blur multilayered sounds). The effect is a 3D-like, enveloping, natural sound.

Very warm sounding too with some lower-mid emphasis. Adele sounds husky on the Stratus. Of course tubes can change that.

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #565 of 4,447
Quote:

I have heard that, too. So definitely take my impression with a grain of salt. The Stratus is my first desktop tube amp.  Most of my listening experience so far have been with solid state amps like the Bryston, the Burson Soloist and HA160, the Graham Slee Ultralinear. The Stratus destroys those amps in almost every aspect of sound stage - depth, width, height and precise imaging due to excellent instrument separation (a weakness of solid state amps which tend to blur multilayered sounds). The effect is a 3D-like, enveloping, natural sound.

Very warm sounding too with some lower-mid emphasis. Adele sounds husky on the Stratus. Of course tubes can change that.

Cool. Thanks. I cannot wait to audition this thing in May!

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #566 of 4,447
Don't forget these are very early impressions.  My Stratus continues to open as everything inside gets broken in (and this is still happening even after 200hrs).  The tubes as well - 2A3s can take a while to open up fully depending on where they are in their lifespan.  I actually find the amp to be quite linear at this point, no emphasis in any area to speak of.  I will again plug the EML 5U4G as one of the necessary upgrades to this amp.  It gives the instruments even more air, rounds out the lower mids, and provides a slight hint of dew around everything - like everyone's been dancing at a show and the place is starting to get a little humid.  In terms of intimacy, it is more intimate than the Balancing Act - but in a good way - I feel like I'm sitting in the sweet spot as opposed to a bit further back in the coliseum where the sound can get a little boomy.  Overall it's about tone. Set aside staging and separation for a moment.   These are crucial, of course, but I find they vary quite a bit with headphone choice and especially recording quality.  But the tone remains consistent no matter what I play on the Stratus and what I listen to them with: that magic of the 2A3, its punch and drive, it's nakedness and energy, its balance and openness, its velvety embrace without distortion, its liquid bath without muddiness.  It may just be the best headphone tube there is and it's nearly perfectly allowed to do its thing by this fine amp.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #567 of 4,447
Quote:

Very warm sounding too with some lower-mid emphasis. Adele sounds husky on the Stratus. Of course tubes can change tha

Congrats on the Stratus! What number did you get?

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #568 of 4,447
Quote:
Don't forget these are very early impressions.  My Stratus continues to open as everything inside gets broken in (and this is still happening even after 200hrs).  The tubes as well - 2A3s can take a while to open up fully depending on where they are in their lifespan.  I actually find the amp to be quite linear at this point, no emphasis in any area to speak of.  I will again plug the EML 5U4G as one of the necessary upgrades to this amp.  It gives the instruments even more air, rounds out the lower mids, and provides a slight hint of dew around everything - like everyone's been dancing at a show and the place is starting to get a little humid.  In terms of intimacy, it is more intimate than the Balancing Act - but in a good way - I feel like I'm sitting in the sweet spot as opposed to a bit further back in the coliseum where the sound can get a little boomy.  Overall it's about tone. Set aside staging and separation for a moment.   These are crucial, of course, but I find they vary quite a bit with headphone choice and especially recording quality.  But the tone remains consistent no matter what I play on the Stratus and what I listen to them with: that magic of the 2A3, its punch and drive, it's nakedness and energy, its balance and openness, its velvety embrace without distortion, its liquid bath without muddiness.  It may just be the best headphone tube there is and it's nearly perfectly allowed to do its thing by this fine amp.

That EML 5U4G is tempting!

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #569 of 4,447
Not that it's all important to anyone but me, but my Stratus is next up on the build list. Should be getting it on or about the end of March. Woo Hoo!!! Right now I'm listening to the new Bryston BDP-2 that I just received today. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back