DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Jun 13, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #2,866 of 4,456
Sounds like KR Audio 2a3 tubes have reliability issues if both your pair and froger's pair had issues.  Haven't noticed any problems with mine yet, but I probably don't use them as frequently as others do.

Jun 13, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #2,867 of 4,456
  Sounds like KR Audio 2a3 tubes have reliability issues if both your pair and froger's pair had issues.  Haven't noticed any problems with mine yet, but I probably don't use them as frequently as others do.

yes I was pretty gutted...tubes look well made...internals look very robust but I guess that isn't always a reliable indicator. Tubes sounded wonderful when they were working!

Fortunately there are plenty of alternatives. 

sbb

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #2,868 of 4,456
So I'm a few weeks in with my new Stratus and thought I'd post some more initial impressions. I suspect it takes quite a long time to really "hear" the stratus in terms of understanding what it does differently to other amps.

I have a few pretty nice headphone amps and they all sound excellent, the Icon Audio HP8 mk II, the Doge 6210 mk II and the Cavali liquid carbon. When I first heard the Stratus, I was impressed, but not immediately blown away. Part of that may have been down to lack of burn in, tube selections etc. but I now think I just wasn't properly calibrated (in my head!)

After a few weeks, my over-riding sonic impressions are the absolute background quietness of the amp....the noise floor really is beyond the basement. It's the single feature that leaves my other amps standing. I'm starting to understand how critical the noise floor is to many of the other sound attributes....it accentuates a massive sound stage with killer dynamics. 

I've been listening to a lot of Vaughan Williams recently, specifically his 2nd, 6th and 8th symphonies (The Richard Hickox versions are stunning) and these recordings are truly breathtaking on the Stratus. Another feature of this amp is that I sometimes forget I'm wearing headphones...the sound is notably more open than with any of my other amps.  I have Alpha Prime headphones, which are closed cans, but they sound open on the Stratus.

The detail resolution is also stunning, I can hear faint background noises that I didn't notice before. Musicians shifting on their chairs and sounds of their breathing.....very cool!

Unfortunately I had an unexpected failure of one of my KR audio 2a3 tubes so swapped out for my Nos Svetlana 2C4C tubes. These are great tubes and I'm really enjoying them. They are quite rare I think and were the russian military version of the 2a3.

So after a few weeks, I'm still learning about the capabilities of this amp, but it is worth every cent and worth the wait. For those of you who are waiting...you won't be disappointed!

Stuart

Great report, Stuart. Really get a sense of the capabilities of the Stratus.

I listen primarily to classical, so I especially appreciated the info with respect to recordings of Vaughan-Williams pieces. (I haven't heard Hickox - I have some Boult, Previn and a new recording on Pentatone from the Oregon Symphony. I'll seek out the Hickox offerings. Just missed the Chandos sale on Arkivmusic so may have to pay full price or seek out some hi res downloads, if they exist).

I've had my eye on KR Audio's 2a3s. Disappointed with reports of QA issues, though. Bummer - hope it's under warranty.

Jun 14, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #2,869 of 4,456
  yes I was pretty gutted...tubes look well made...internals look very robust but I guess that isn't always a reliable indicator. Tubes sounded wonderful when they were working!

Fortunately there are plenty of alternatives. 

sbb

I'm curious - what kind of problem did you experienced with the KR tubes?

I returned one pair because I thought they were too microphonic - the replacement pair wasn't much different but, other than that, they sound exceptional and the microphonics is not really an issue.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #2,870 of 4,456
One just died....if you tap it, it makes a horrible scratching sound, but otherwise no output. The other one seems fine.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #2,872 of 4,456
Fortunately....I spent some time over the past year collecting a few 2a3 tubes. Last night I tried my GE tubes....I think these are quite rare and boy do they sound amazing! I think they may be the best I've heard.

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #2,874 of 4,456
Interesting, looks like a monoplate 2a3.

What headphones are you using?

I'm using Alpha Primes.....very nice with the Stratus.

Jun 23, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #2,876 of 4,456
Does anyone know how much power the stratus draws? And a second question: how warm does the amp run?

Many thanks in advance....

I'll check when I get home, and get back to you around 5 pm. My PS Audio power strip/filter/whatever can tell me power draw.

Jun 23, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #2,880 of 4,456
108W, give or take a couple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back