DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Jan 19, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #2,521 of 4,422
Just a heads up guys. I'm putting up for sale some of my 2A3 and 5U4G tubes on ebay. http://ebay.to/1Jg3Gri.

Feel free to pm me an offer if interested.

If only you put up for sale 3 weeks earlier. I have just gotten my new EML 2A3 solid last week. Excellent match with HE-1000, solid bass and vocal. While they don't sound as grand and airy as the EML mesh, they are more down to earth and realistic. I enjoy the solid plates very much paired with RCA 5U4G.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #2,523 of 4,422
The HD800 sure is picky.  I just realized that I was in fact not using the fully stock Stratus, as I had an RCA 5U4GB in the rectifier position instead of the Winged "C" (SED) 5U4G rectifier.  The RCA 5U4GB sounded excellent, but was a little on the bright side for me.  With the HD800, the stock rectifier synergizes perfectly with the other stock tubes!  Donald has some spectacular taste, and it shows in his tube choice.  I can't wait to try the Shuguang Nature Sound 2A3C-Ts that are coming in soon.

For those of you that have tried it or currently have the ability to, how well does the EML Mesh 5U4G do with the Shuguang Nature Sound 2A3s when paired with the HD800?

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #2,524 of 4,422
Not sure about that combo, but the Brimar U52 5U4G + Shuguang Treasures 2A3 have not come off my amp upon discovering the combo and it's permanently hooked up to my HD800.  I just don't want to mess with perfection, it's seriously good.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #2,525 of 4,422
  Not sure about that combo, but the Brimar U52 5U4G + Shuguang Treasures 2A3 have not come off my amp upon discovering the combo and it's permanently hooked up to my HD800.  I just don't want to mess with perfection, it's seriously good.

Are the Treasures different from the 2A3C-T (Natural Sound)?  

U52 gets a lot of praise, but I'm having a hard time spending $400+ on a rectifier!

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #2,526 of 4,422

Are the Treasures different from the 2A3C-T (Natural Sound)?  

U52 gets a lot of praise, but I'm having a hard time spending $400+ on a rectifier!

You are right, they are one of the same.  I wasn't being specific enough.  Yes the 2A3C-T are the ones I'm talking about.  I'm so impressed with the combo that I have 1 set of backup for both tubes hah.

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #2,529 of 4,422
  Had a few days to listen to my recently arrived secondhand purchased Stratus (got santacore's).

I will say this since it hasn't been said enough or at all on this thread.

Stock Stratus is THE most amazing pairing with the HD650.  Even with the Bottlehead Crack (w/speedball), Eddie Current Zana Deux, and Glenn OTL in my stable of great pairings with the HD650, neither one can do what the Stratus does with the HD650.

You know your absolutely correct. I spend so much time with my HD800 my 650 get's overlooked. I have a 10ft Silver Poison cable I converted over for use with my 650's. They really sound great and especially down low. Now I know cables are a big controversy but I also have a 8ft Silver Widow that bested the Poison in every way. The treble detail is so good that it sounds live and real. I'm extremely tempted to convert it for the 650s. Something I wouldn't even consider except we're talking about the Stratus here. Just thinking out loud and some how ends up in my post's sometimes.

Jan 22, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #2,531 of 4,422
How much burn-in do the Shuguang 2A3C-T tubes need before they begin to sound their best?  Initial impression is that they need a different rectifier and driver tube to mate pretty okay with the HD800.  With the stock rectifier and driver they sound too bright.  

They sound better with an RCA 5U4GB and Sylvania 6BQ7A rolled in, but I still prefer the stock tubes with the HD800 by a pretty big margin.

Jan 22, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #2,532 of 4,422
Out of the box I found my 2A3C-T to be on the bright side as well. I burned them in for 150 hours without listening to them. After that, the treble had settled down nicely. Significantly less burn-in might also do the trick.

That being said, even after burning them in, you might still prefer a different rectifier and input/driver tube using the 2A3C-T over stock.

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #2,533 of 4,422
  Out of the box I found my 2A3C-T to be on the bright side as well. I burned them in for 150 hours without listening to them. After that, the treble had settled down nicely. Significantly less burn-in might also do the trick.

That being said, even after burning them in, you might still prefer a different rectifier and input/driver tube using the 2A3C-T over stock.

Thanks avrosse!

I'll give them some proper burn in.

On a separate note, I don't know if it was like this since the day I received the Stratus, but with the stock rectifier in and a second or two after power up, I see a few sparks fly inside the tube that lasts about half a second.  Has anyone else seen this before?  Doesn't seem to affect the sound, so I'm not sure I should be worried.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #2,534 of 4,422
I know psvane has a comment on this

This usually happens on smaller tubes – the flash is from the heater when power on, and it only last a split of second then disappear. This is normal on tubes and happen randomly. It doesn’t short the tube life and will not affect the sound.

Some great vintage tubes made in 1950′s have the same flash and they lasted for over 40 years!

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #2,535 of 4,422
Thanks for the reassurance.

I'm still shocked by how good the HD800 is sounding out of the Stratus right now.  It's amazing how it can make what was previously my least favorite headphone become my favorite headphone and this is without any tube upgrades!  Some truly fantastic design and engineering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back