DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Jul 22, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #2,371 of 4,470
  Thks Avrosse. 
beerchug.gif

I don't listen only to classical but I think I prefer my Stratus to stay on the neutral/transparent side more than on the lush/warm side. From what I read and heard , the Stratus is already on the warm side I think I don't want to add even more warmth. 

Your post helped me to do my choice  and I'll buy a full set of EML for my Stratus and I'll see if that's ok for me and compare to my NOS visseaux/miniwatt 2A3.  if none of these 2A3 do the trick then I'll try the Shuguang 2A3CT. 

The Stratus is quite neutral for an SET amp.  Changing tubes, headphones, coupling caps will alter this in a direction you like (or dislike). I switched coupling caps to get the sound I wanted.

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #2,372 of 4,470
Bought a pair of Psvane WE-275 last week and loved them very much! They are quieter than my Shuguang Natural sound, but very musical and 3-dimensional. Work wonderfully well with HD 800, as they sound more detailed, transparent and refined than ever. Into my 50th hour with the tubes, hope they will stay problem free, keeping my fingers crossed.

Jul 28, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #2,374 of 4,470
Bought a pair of Psvane WE-275 last week and loved them very much! They are quieter than my Shuguang Natural sound, but very musical and 3-dimensional. Work wonderfully well with HD 800, as they sound more detailed, transparent and refined than ever. Into my 50th hour with the tubes, hope they will stay problem free, keeping my fingers crossed.

Very interesting, I was lurking around those tubes indeed. Keep us informed please :wink: 

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #2,375 of 4,470
Yes, will continue to monitor the Psvane tubes and hope they will last.

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #2,377 of 4,470
[
Very interesting, I was lurking around those tubes indeed. Keep us informed please :wink: 
quote name="froger" url="/t/609800/dna-stratus-2a3-amplifier-first-impressions/2370#post_11793741"]Bought a pair of Psvane WE-275 last week and loved them very much! They are quieter than my Shuguang Natural sound, but very musical and 3-dimensional. Work wonderfully well with HD 800, as they sound more detailed, transparent and refined than ever. Into my 50th hour with the tubes, hope they will stay problem free, keeping my fingers crossed.
[/quote]hi....sounds like an interesting tube. I wonder if their hybrid tube would work with the stratus.....the PSVane WR2A3?

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #2,378 of 4,470
[
quote name="froger" url="/t/609800/dna-stratus-2a3-amplifier-first-impressions/2370#post_11793741"]Bought a pair of Psvane WE-275 last week and loved them very much! They are quieter than my Shuguang Natural sound, but very musical and 3-dimensional. Work wonderfully well with HD 800, as they sound more detailed, transparent and refined than ever. Into my 50th hour with the tubes, hope they will stay problem free, keeping my fingers crossed.
[/quote]

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #2,379 of 4,470
Hi .....sounds like an interesting tube. I wonder is their hybrid tube would work with the stratus...the WR2A3?

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #2,380 of 4,470

I have had a lot of problems with the Psvane WR2A3s. I can't seem to get one that doesn't eventually start making low level sputtering, sqeaking, ticking noises. I've been through 3 pair and a few extras and they all end up with the same problem. Before they start making noise, they are my favorite tube in the Stratus (with LCD3 headphones). I have returned so many of them that the Psvane folks will not give me a refund, only replacement if I pay the freight both ways (about $80 each time). I swear I have close to $700 dollars invested in those damned tubes and I have given up. I hope Froger has better luck with the WE275s and can't help but wonder if they sound anywhere near as good as the WR2A3s.

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #2,381 of 4,470
Bigsecret....thanks for the info...very interesting. I have a stratus on order...arriving sometime in December hopefully. I'm in no rush to upgrade tubes, but you end up finding is difficult to pass on good deals!I ended up getting a U52 rectifier, which is a gec 50's "D" getter halo. It has an Aduana label, but believe it may have an Mwt UK label underneath. I also picked up a couple of the Philips 5R4GYS cryo treated ubes from upscale audio. I know some people have comments on these, but seemed like relatively good value. I've been holding out on the 2a3 tubes for now.

I actually have good experience with both psvane and shuguang tubes. I have the psvane 211 TII tubes in my Doge 9 monoblocks together with their EL34PH tubes and they are superb. So far reliable also. The psvane 211 tubes are actually almost as good as the GE VT4C NOS tubes I also have. I'm also using the shuguang 6CA7-Z tubes in another integrated amp and I love the sound of those also.
Anyway...thanks for the feedback on the WR2A3 tubes!I think I'll rule these out for now.

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #2,382 of 4,470

Stuart 1927 - My current tube set up (that I keep coming back to) is Marconi U52 rectifier, Shuguang Natural Sound 2A3s and a cryo'd Reflector 6N1P. Other tubes I have are EML 2A3 mesh plates, EML 5U4G mesh plate, Vishkod and Novosibirsk 6N1Ps. I was told by a Ukrainian tube seller who seems to know his stuff that my Reflktor 6N1P is actually a Novosibirsk. In any event they are great driver tubes and come in a few different variants. I have a 1960's box plate version that is very detailed but can be overly bright (maybe needs more burn-in). Again, keep in mind I am listening with LCD3 phones meaning this tube set-up may sound awful with HD800. 

You won't fully appreciate the beauty of the U52 unless you spend some time with the stock rectifier first before swapping out. 

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #2,383 of 4,470

I have had a lot of problems with the Psvane WR2A3s. I can't seem to get one that doesn't eventually start making low level sputtering, sqeaking, ticking noises. I've been through 3 pair and a few extras and they all end up with the same problem. Before they start making noise, they are my favorite tube in the Stratus (with LCD3 headphones). I have returned so many of them that the Psvane folks will not give me a refund, only replacement if I pay the freight both ways (about $80 each time). I swear I have close to $700 dollars invested in those damned tubes and I have given up. I hope Froger has better luck with the WE275s and can't help but wonder if they sound anywhere near as good as the WR2A3s.

I am praying everyday that my Psvane 275 will last... as they are really very nice. I read a chinese review comparing the WE275 and WR2A3 and they conclude that both are equally good, with the WR2A3  being more dynamic sounding while the WE275 being more refined. After using the WE275 for around 100 hrs, I will say that the WE275 tubes are the best 2A3 tubes I have used so far on the Stratus. They are highly detailed, natural and musical sounding, have tight and detailed bass and the soundstage they produce is so holographic. I thought the Natural sound's soundstage with HD800 was already very 3-D with good depth and width, but the WE275 managed to best them by having more layering and separation. With the WE275, I also realized that I was missing on much microdynamics previously.

It will be a very sad day for me if they ever fail on me. Tough to go back to the old tubes after knowing what the Stratus is capable of producing with the WE275 and my HD800.

PS: The WE275 also pairs very well with my CKR rectifier, better than with EML5U4G.

Aug 5, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #2,384 of 4,470
  I am praying everyday that my Psvane 275 will last... as they are really very nice. I read a chinese review comparing the WE275 and WR2A3 and they conclude that both are equally good, with the WR2A3  being more dynamic sounding while the WE275 being more refined. After using the WE275 for around 100 hrs, I will say that the WE275 tubes are the best 2A3 tubes I have used so far on the Stratus. They are highly detailed, natural and musical sounding, have tight and detailed bass and the soundstage they produce is so holographic. I thought the Natural sound's soundstage with HD800 was already very 3-D with good depth and width, but the WE275 managed to best them by having more layering and separation. With the WE275, I also realized that I was missing on much microdynamics previously.

It will be a very sad day for me if they ever fail on me. Tough to go back to the old tubes after knowing what the Stratus is capable of producing with the WE275 and my HD800.

PS: The WE275 also pairs very well with my CKR rectifier, better than with EML5U4G.

I think you may be over the hump at 100 hrs. I was never able to get that far. And, interestingly, I had the same problem with the Psvane Treasure Mk IIs. All in all, I have had in my possession 13 or 15 (I've lost count) Psvane 2A3 tubes and all have had the same problem. Donald North actually has my last pair of WR2A3s because he was feeling somehow responsible that it might be the amp. It is NOT. But the description of the WR2A3s as very dynamic, is very accurate - they made my EML meshplates sound downright boring. I'm rooting for you with your WE275s. As much as I don't want to give Psvane any more of my money, I may have break down one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back