DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Jan 17, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #1,426 of 4,456
  Looks like im gonna go for the stratus, because i wont have to change my DAC straight away and i have tubes for the stratus. Also i dont really care about powering IEM's. If i go for a planar can it will probably be the LCD X and im sure the DNA will be fine with that. 

I don't think you will have any issues powering IEMs with the Stratus; it did great when I had the demo UERM in for a weekend.

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #1,428 of 4,456

I don't think you will have any issues powering IEMs with the Stratus; it did great when I had the demo UERM in for a weekend.

all good so. What 2A3's have you rolled? Have you done much with the 5U4G's?

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #1,430 of 4,456
  I use the Sophia Princess 2A3, NOS RCA 5U4G and 6BQ7A. Have not touched the configuration much in over a year except on occasion to swap out the 6BQ7A with the stock input tube.

Do you know if the JS 7308 can be used or the bugle boys? I  think its the difference between 4.25 ad 12.5 ma/V so maybe not?

Jan 17, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #1,432 of 4,456
How heavy is the Stratus? 

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #1,434 of 4,456

Its a big beast....just under 30lbs I would think..

thanks. I like that its big. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #1,435 of 4,456
  Has anyone tried the Psvane 2A3-T's in the stratus? 

I think you will find that several have tried Psvane tubes, both 2A3T Mk 11 and WR2A3. They seem to often develop low level sputtering/gurgling/spitting. Which is really unfortunate because they are beautiful sounding tubes until the noise begins. I wish I knew what other tube sounded similar but was more dependable. It sounds like MAYBE the Sophia Princess mesh  but I am going by reading here not any direct experience.

I DO have direct experience with the 2A3T MkII and it really frustrated me to find a tube that sounded so sweet only to have problems after 50-100 hrs use. And then others reporting the same problem.

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #1,436 of 4,456
  I think you will find that several have tried Psvane tubes, both 2A3T Mk 11 and WR2A3. They seem to often develop low level sputtering/gurgling/spitting. Which is really unfortunate because they are beautiful sounding tubes until the noise begins. I wish I knew what other tube sounded similar but was more dependable. It sounds like MAYBE the Sophia Princess mesh  but I am going by reading here not any direct experience.

I DO have direct experience with the 2A3T MkII and it really frustrated me to find a tube that sounded so sweet only to have problems after 50-100 hrs use. And then others reporting the same problem.

Have you tried any of the Sophia electric tubes like the Carbon S.E.T or mesh plates? 

I wonder how the globe shaped one sounds? Is there any difference sound-wise between the ceramic and black plates? 

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,437 of 4,456
Man, I hate hearing about the problems others are having with the Psvane 2A3's; my WR2A3's are still singing beautifully (have 200-250 hours or so on them).

I have those plus the Sophia Princess tubes (as well as some Ken Rad NOS); my definite preference soundwise are the Psvane WR2A3's, so I'm hoping I don't run into noise issues with them.  Their creamy mids are to die for in my setup, but I think they have better extension than the NOS Ken Rad's.  The Sophia Princess are a great tube, but sound a bit less natural and organic than the WR2A3's to me ears.

Best,

Randy

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #1,438 of 4,456
  Man, I hate hearing about the problems others are having with the Psvane 2A3's; my WR2A3's are still singing beautifully (have 200-250 hours or so on them).

I have those plus the Sophia Princess tubes (as well as some Ken Rad NOS); my definite preference soundwise are the Psvane WR2A3's, so I'm hoping I don't run into noise issues with them.  Their creamy mids are to die for in my setup, but I think they have better extension than the NOS Ken Rad's.  The Sophia Princess are a great tube, but sound a bit less natural and organic than the WR2A3's to me ears.

Best,

Randy

Which Sophia princess? 

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #1,440 of 4,456
To my knowledge the Sophia Princess 2A3 only comes in mesh plate; that's what I have, with white ceramic bases.

sorry i see that now, on the Sophia website they have a list of 2A3 tubes. If you look under where it says Tubes for 2A3 amplifiers they have 4 tubes where there should only be 2, thats where i was getting confused. The other 2 are actually 300b tubes. 

Or maybe there are 2A3 amps that can take those types of 300b. Either that or the website is layed out very badly. 

http://www.sophiaelectric.com/tubes.htm 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back