DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Jan 10, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #1,396 of 4,456
As the tube amp market continues it's renaissance we are going to all have to help each other with good reliable sources. Particularly for the pricey NOS tubes.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #1,398 of 4,456
  As the tube amp market continues it's renaissance we are going to all have to help each other with good reliable sources. Particularly for the pricey NOS tubes.

yes indeed we are. 

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #1,399 of 4,456

+1

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #1,400 of 4,456
I've been trying out an RCA ST bottle 5U4G that I grabbed off EBay. it has smooth plates and a bottom getter.  To tell you the truth, my hearing is not that good, but I think this is a really nice rectifier in every respect.  I use it with the 6N1P because the rectifier has a pleasant enough tone to it.  

Have others tried this tube?

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #1,401 of 4,456
  I've been trying out an RCA ST bottle 5U4G that I grabbed off EBay. it has smooth plates and a bottom getter.  To tell you the truth, my hearing is not that good, but I think this is a really nice rectifier in every respect.  I use it with the 6N1P because the rectifier has a pleasant enough tone to it.  

I used one in my Decware CSP2+ and it was a nice tube. Very smooth. It did not have the low end kick of the USAF-596, but was more smooth across all ranges.

Jan 10, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #1,403 of 4,456
I haven't seen any of the rabbits' ears for sale in a long time.  I guess you were lucky to find them.  All of the NOS 5U4G type giants have either vanished or command insane prices. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #1,406 of 4,456

I was using a black base / smooth plates / RCA JAN 5U4G tube - it was better than the stock rectifier that came with my stratus but nowhere near as good as the new u52 tube I replaced it with.

I found a GEC u52 on ebay and then also found a NOS Osram u52 on a local hifi forum - they are meant to be the same tube with different branding but I find the Osram to be slightly sweeter sounding then the GEC.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #1,407 of 4,456
  I was using a black base / smooth plates / RCA JAN 5U4G tube - it was better than the stock rectifier that came with my stratus but nowhere near as good as the new u52 tube I replaced it with.

I found a GEC u52 on ebay and then also found a NOS Osram u52 on a local hifi forum - they are meant to be the same tube with different branding but I find the Osram to be slightly sweeter sounding then the GEC.

they are the same tube, the one thats slightly older probably sounds better. what color bases?

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #1,408 of 4,456

they are the same tube, the one thats slightly older probably sounds better. what color bases?

Brown - the GEC looks almost the same as the one you posted a pic of in your thread, a bit scratchy and spotty.  The Osram looks cleaner - however the base is a little loose and there's a rattle when the tube is moved.  Doesn't seem to effect sq however.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #1,409 of 4,456
  Brown - the GEC looks almost the same as the one you posted a pic of in your thread, a bit scratchy and spotty.  The Osram looks cleaner - however the base is a little loose and there's a rattle when the tube is moved.  Doesn't seem to effect sq however.

the one i posted isn't scratchy and spotty lol, its actually marbled brown base, really pretty in person

its MWT labeled.

i also have a GEC labeled one thats a black base

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #1,410 of 4,456

the one i posted isn't scratchy and spotty lol, its actually marbled brown base, really pretty in person

its MWT labeled.

i also have a GEC labeled one thats a black base

it looks the same as this (including the sticker) - didn't realise it was meant to be a marbled finish, thought it was just old and scratched up.. :)  The osram is the same darker brown color but solid.  

Do the GEC and MWT sound the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back