DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Aug 16, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #1,051 of 4,456
The HD800s?  Too costly, no matter what they can do. Famous last words!

The amp itself - still divine!  My impressions are now stable.

Says the guy who bought a $2,600 headphone amp.

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #1,052 of 4,456
Quote:
The HD800s?  Too costly, no matter what they can do. Famous last words!  
The amp itself - still divine!  My impressions are now stable.

IMO, the HD800 is a must own headphone for the Stratus. I think of all of the high priced headphones, this one is completely justified as its a huge leap beyond the previous top tier of headphones. Also, with the Stratus, you arguably have one of the best if not the best headphone amp for the HD800.

The HE500 is a good headphone and a great value. But for about 90% of what I listen to, I preferred the HD800 and ultimately sold it off.

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #1,053 of 4,456
My tube recommendation list has changed again.

I finally swapped the EML 2A3-S solid plate tubes out for the Shuguang 2A3C-T “Nature Sound” pair that I had purchased from the “shuguangs” store on ebay. (I think they probably mean to call them “Natural Sound”.) On first hearing, I was impressed with their presence on the Stratus, so I left them in place. Now, after only ~30 hrs burn-in, they sound nearly as wonderful as the EML solids. They are detailed, balanced, extended, and full of life. They lack that last iota of realism provided by the solid power of the EMLs, but I have listened to them for >2 hrs in 3 different sittings and I have experienced almost as much musical enjoyment as with the EMLs.

In back-to-back comparison, they have a very slight enhancement in the upper midrange and a very slight reduction in the lower midrange, so that a piano sounds just a smidgen bright, but on the other hand, an oboe sounds more immediately real than on the EMLs.  That small difference in voicing also results in slightly different emphasis, so that particular background instruments (voices) can be more noticeable on the Shuguangs than on the EMLs, and for certain portions of particular tracks, I actually prefer them, but not overall.

I also compared them back-to-back to the Sophia Princess 2A3s on my Stratus, and they won hands down. I found the SQ of the Sophia’s more recessed, somewhat less detailed, and slightly more congested than the SQ of the Shuguangs. Sweet and enjoyable, but not as harmonious, not as convincing. This comparison also revealed the slight voicing difference of the Shuguangs noted above, a factor to the good for the Sophia’s, but in clarity, presence and stage presentation the Shuguangs are simply “mo’ better”, IMHO.

The Shuguang NATURAL SOUND 2A3C-Ts are definitely my second choice for the Stratus now.  Since Donald provides the basic Shuguang 2A3 stock on the Stratus, I wonder if they might let him offer them as an upgrade for a discounted price. I suppose they might require that he sell at least 100 units/month --- but then they certainly wouldn’t be hand-built and tested by Donald, and I for one wouldn’t give that up! Anyways, at $298 a pair they are already a bargain compared to both the EMLs and the Sophia’s!

BTW, in this month’s issue of Stereophile, John Marks recommends quite a few less well-known classical pieces that can be heard on youtube. I’ve never surfed there for classical – I found a dynamite video of Yuja Wang playing Flight of the Bumblebee – wow -- lots more music to discover!

I just received a pair of the 2A3C-T and my initial impressions are similar to the above. Superior clarity and soundstage over the stock 2A3B with a slight emphasis on upper-midrange tones (like "shhh"). The HD800 sounds terrific with this tube, though the Sophia's have a preferable fuller-sounding midrange. It's a tough call right now. One thing I am certain is that the 2A3C-T really wake up the HD650. Ive never the 650 sound so clear and spacious, like it's taken to the next level. The planar's don't fare as well with the 2A3C-T compared to the dynamics.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #1,055 of 4,456
Just for the HD800, I was wondering how much better is the DNA stratus when compared with the WA2? Is it a huge improvement? Does anyone prefer the WA2 for HD800?

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #1,056 of 4,456
Just for the HD800, I was wondering how much better is the DNA stratus when compared with the WA2? Is it a huge improvement? Does anyone prefer the WA2 for HD800?

I wonder that as well. Also gec tubes on the wa2.

Also would be nice to compare with zdse and wa22

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #1,057 of 4,456
Quote:

IMO, the HD800 is a must own headphone for the Stratus. I think of all of the high priced headphones, this one is completely justified as its a huge leap beyond the previous top tier of headphones. Also, with the Stratus, you arguably have one of the best if not the best headphone amp for the HD800.

The HE500 is a good headphone and a great value. But for about 90% of what I listen to, I preferred the HD800 and ultimately sold it off.

Yep.

Frihed-you're truly selling yourself short by not owning and HD800-especially with that particular amp. I'd even call the HD800 a 'bargain' for you, since you already own top-tier ancillary equipment that happens to mate so well with the finicky Senn. My .02.

BTW, loving all you comments about the Stratus. If I didn't have a Leviathan on order, this would be my first pick (along with Craig's 2A3).

-Daniel

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #1,058 of 4,456
Quote:
Yep.

Frihed-you're truly selling yourself short by not owning and HD800-especially with that particular amp. I'd even call the HD800 a 'bargain' for you, since you already own top-tier ancillary equipment that happens to mate so well with the finicky Senn. My .02.

BTW, loving all you comments about the Stratus. If I didn't have a Leviathan on order, this would be my first pick (along with Craig's 2A3).

-Daniel

you have some really nice gear listed in your profile. what do you think of the T1/DNA combo? If you had to pick between DNA and the Zana Deux which one would you go for? One more question - what is your favourite headphone/amp combo?

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #1,059 of 4,456
Having owned the ZDSE there is no comparison with the Stratus.  The ZD is murky and veiled sounding with a small window onto the acoustic world while the Stratus, as its name implies, is lofty, wide open, and incredibly well-balanced.  The ZDSE/HD800 was for me a non-starter whereas the Stratus/HD800 is still the best* amp/headphone combination I have ever heard. 

On the subject of the T1s, they too sound fantastic with the Stratus - although the amp reveals their weaknesses when compared to the HD800 and the K1000.  The T1s are too polite and removed from the action - cushioned - though they do resolve beautifully and they do come alive with the 2A3...  I am actually thinking of selling my T1s for lack of use..

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #1,060 of 4,456
Quote:
you have some really nice gear listed in your profile. what do you think of the T1/DNA combo? If you had to pick between DNA and the Zana Deux which one would you go for? One more question - what is your favourite headphone/amp combo?

I don't have the Stratus-just going off the exceptional feedback here regarding the HD800 pairing with it. The ZDSE is not murky, veiled, or small sounding lol-I'd question either the tubes or source in that rig. No, just no.
rolleyes.gif

That said-I wouldn't be surprised that the Stratus or EC 2A3 dig deeper into the recording, as these DHT designs seem to offer larger soundstages, more microdetails, and just better all around. Keep in mind the Zana is an 7+ year old amp that is more known for a bit of euphoric warmth if you will-but not at the expense of the technicalities. VERY tube dependent, of course. If your budget allows-I'd email Craig at EC about his new 2A3x4 which should be a step up over the Stratus technical-but costs more too ($3800). It's very similar to the Leviathan, but with a different PS and no Tangos.

-Daniel

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #1,061 of 4,456
Quote:
I don't have the Stratus-just going off the exceptional feedback here regarding the HD800 pairing with it. The ZDSE is not murky, veiled, or small sounding lol-I'd question either the tubes or source in that rig. No, just no.
rolleyes.gif

That said-I wouldn't be surprised that the Stratus or EC 2A3 dig deeper into the recording, as these DHT designs seem to offer larger soundstages, more microdetails, and just better all around. Keep in mind the Zana is an 7+ year old amp that is more known for a bit of euphoric warmth if you will-but not at the expense of the technicalities. VERY tube dependent, of course. If your budget allows-I'd email Craig at EC about his new 2A3x4 which should be a step up over the Stratus technical-but costs more too ($3800). It's very similar to the Leviathan, but with a different PS and no Tangos.

-Daniel

What is the name of the new EC amp?

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #1,062 of 4,456
EC 2A3x4. Not listed on his site yet-you'd have to email him. Also, the first 10 in the introductory batch may very well all be taken. I'm on the Levi/Tango list so I never bothered to get all those details.

-Daniel

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #1,064 of 4,456
Quote:
his new 2A3x4 which should be a step up over the Stratus technical-but costs more too ($3800). It's very similar to the Leviathan, but with a different PS and no Tangos.

-Daniel

Can you elaborate which technical aspects seem a step up for you?

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #1,065 of 4,456
Nice shot.  I just gave away a $10,000 integrated SET amp to my grown son, too and it has changed his outlook on recorded music vastly: he actually bought some CDs!  

The HD800 can be cabled for: 1/4", 4 pin MXLR, or balanced 3 pin XLR. Donald has indicated that the balanced version sounds slightly better than unbalanced (1/4" only?). What is your experience?

Where does the 4 pin MXLR fit, in the K1000 socket?  Has anyone got their HD800 set up that way and compared it to either of the two other options?

The mini xlrs on the headphone end  look small compared to, say, those on the Audeze.  Is that correct?

And, finally, the bonus question: what cables are using and why?  Did you try any others?

Now, my usual ramble.

I bought the Stratus based on: my own experience with, and knowledge about, SETs, Donald's reputation with, and knowledge about, SET amps, some conversations with Craig about his amp, my AVVT tubes and, of course, reading what owners and reviewers had to say.  That is the same type of information I used in buying my Fi 2A3 monos and Crimson cables. (I must say Donald and Don Garber and Craig, too, are far more open about the details of their equipment than many other mfrs. I have contacted).  Until then, I bought mostly Blue Circle and Audio Note equipment, which I was always able to hear.  

Both searches, while risky, have produced superb results to my wars + brain.

But I emphasize the risk.  If you have only used SS, including transistor headphone amps, or to hybrids, or if your tube headphone amps have been mainly OTL or PP, you should be a little cautious. If you like amps that are dark or bright, or colored, you should also be a little cautious.  If you are buying the amp for a specific set of headphones you should not only be very cautious but have your head examined (sorry). To wit, I borrowed some middle-end Grados. I listened with them for a couple of days on and off and they sounded very good and the dealer said he'd never heard better.  In fact, when i returned them i brought the amp down and we also tried the Stratus on almost the entire line of Sennheiser headphones (including some used 600s) he carries, plus a number of what I would call "not so hot" AKG studio monitors and he was amazed at what the Stratus could do with them.  This guy has almost 30 years of experience with Audio Note, Sugden, and a wide range of other brands of equipment. I, in turn, found myself feeling very comfortable even with the HD650s whose normally colored presentation turned out also to be detailed and transparent.  You may be doing yourself an injustice if you are dedicating an amp to a pair of headphones.

Back to the HD800.  I guess, if i do decide to go with them, I can import them from Germany and save 25% * ($2600 + shipping cost + $35 fixed handling cost + cable cost) in danish taxes.

If I have already said this in another post, please give me a break.  I'm over 70 and getting forgetful.

Hopefully, some of you can answer the HD800 questions I have, at the very least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back