DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Apr 23, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #4,396 of 4,456
Apr 23, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #4,397 of 4,456
R
Have you heard the Air Universe?

The Woo WA23 Lina is interstage transformer coupled, it’s likely within your price range. My Radu 300B uses interstage transformers, there are options out there. I wouldn’t be fixated on @L0rdGwyn choosing to keep his amp development private, he’s put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into his projects, and from what I’ve heard the model he was generous enough to share with the world is quite good. No reason to throw shade, no one has a right to someone else’s work.

One solution is to go to your local library and teach yourself how to build the amp you desire, might take a while depending on your current background and knowledge with electronics, and obviously there will be trial and error as there is no such thing as a free lunch. Someone is paying for it somewhere….

Sorry where did I 'throw shade' ?

All I said is that it's too bad he didn't release plans for an amplifier. I don't see how that's throwing shade.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #4,398 of 4,456
The WA23 is output transformer coupled but I don't think it uses interstage transformers
Was about to post this. Thanks

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #4,399 of 4,456
Stratus time
1713929253903.jpeg

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #4,401 of 4,456
Yup, going to compare to my cayin ha300b mk2

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:54 AM Post #4,403 of 4,456
That's a comparison I'm eager for. I have been avoiding the 300b amps due to tube cost but if the sonics are worth it i might take the plunge. So please say the DNA kicks the 300b in the sack so i can stop obsessing :)
There is a huge delta between the cheap 300B's and the better one's, so take his comparison with a grain of salt. :wink:

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #4,405 of 4,456
There is a huge delta between the cheap 300B's and the better one's, so take his comparison with a grain of salt. :wink:
To be fair I just have psvane 2a3 in the stratus.

There is something about the stratus sound that draws you in.

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #4,406 of 4,456
Does anyone know if the JJ 2a3-40 tube works in the Stratus? And if so any impressions? Curious how these stack up to my ACMEs and RCAs.

1713973365959.png
I have used these in my Stratus, and I think @RestoredSparda recently acquired a pair too. My take on these is that they're not detail-monsters, but are warm and wet and bassy. Almost bloomy and woolly. I would call them flavored - If your chain demands it, these will warm it up. Compared to my Acmes, the Acmes are objectively better. These were the 'best' JJ's I've ever heard but they are a step below the Acmes and weren't up to the level of the good NOS tubes.

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #4,407 of 4,456
I'm lucky enough to have both a Stratus (currently running some NOS NEC 2a3's but usually with Acmes) and a newly-acquired HA-300b Mk1 with WE 300b's. I had to send one of my WE's back in for warranty replacement so I have not had much time with it, yet (and none with the Purple fuse installed in my DAC), but they are both TOTL, world-class amps and the difference is less about quality and more about the sound signature you're after. Different flavors, but equally delicious!

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #4,408 of 4,456
I have used these in my Stratus, and I think @RestoredSparda recently acquired a pair too. My take on these is that they're not detail-monsters, but are warm and wet and bassy. Almost bloomy and woolly. I would call them flavored - If your chain demands it, these will warm it up. Compared to my Acmes, the Acmes are objectively better. These were the 'best' JJ's I've ever heard but they are a step below the Acmes and weren't up to the level of the good NOS tubes.
Thank you for the excellent response. I love the ACMEs and my RCA NOS pair, so these probably aren't worth getting I'm thinking. The one thing my current setup is not lacking is bass. If anything I could go for something slightly leaner and cleaner than my current tubes.

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #4,409 of 4,456
I'm lucky enough to have both a Stratus (currently running some NOS NEC 2a3's but usually with Acmes) and a newly-acquired HA-300b Mk1 with WE 300b's. I had to send one of my WE's back in for warranty replacement so I have not had much time with it, yet (and none with the Purple fuse installed in my DAC), but they are both TOTL, world-class amps and the difference is less about quality and more about the sound signature you're after. Different flavors, but equally delicious!
I'd love to hear your take on those different flavors. The Stratus is my top amp by a large margin, and I love it's overall sonic signature. I find it warm but also fast and agile, with a nice liquidity and vibrancy. Huge soundstage as well compared to my other amps. And such dynamic range! That amp never falters when pushed hard with dynamics. I'm not a big planar listener so can't comment there. I had an HE6SE for awhile and thought the Stratus pushed it just fine, but I don't have any superpowered amps to compare with. All in all it's the amp I always want to listen to, and the amp I wish I could take to work, as that's where I do most of my listening. If I went down the Cayin 300b rabbit hole I'd want something with a more traditional warmth, slower with thicker/wetter mids and some softness up top vs the Stratus. The Stratus doesn't roll off anything up top to my ears, and occasionally zings me with crappy recordings. My WA3 OTL smooths those crappy recordings out enough to not zing me. I'd also love a bit more decay and resonance. The Stratus is very fast to my ears. The decay isn't bad, but if notes just faded down a bit slower i'd be more satisfied. Wondering if the 300b fits the bill and would take me towards that target or not.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #4,410 of 4,456
To be fair I just have psvane 2a3 in the stratus.

There is something about the stratus sound that draws you in.
Yeah, it will never be fair, seeing as they use different branded tubes. I actually think you can go further with tube rolling in the HA300MK2 due to the tube types used vs. the one's in the Stratus, and that is a big reason I went with the HA300MK2 over the Stratus. In stock form I am sure they are close and different flavors of awesomeness. That being said, a good tube roll can takes things way beyond the stock sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back