DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Jul 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #136 of 4,456
Jul 25, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #137 of 4,456
I'm very much enjoying #4, currently with the stock tubes.
atsmile.gif

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #139 of 4,456
Quote:
Thank you Donald!

Quote:
#5 shipped out on Monday.

Good news.  I still mean to get to this.  For the moment, I have been sidetracked by the sound of the 45 tube, as I break in a pair of EML solid plates on my Fi 2A3 monos, and am looking at a possible purchase of Devore 0/96 Orangutan speakers!  Have you any orders from Scandinavia? 

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #140 of 4,456
Yup, SleepyOne, that's it.

Sorry I forgot to include this in my post.

Shuguang 2A3C-T "NATURAL SOUND" on Stratus #2

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #141 of 4,456
I guess I need to try my Shuguang Black Bottle Treasures again. When I borrowed Donald's personal amp and tried them I was unimpressed. It is very interesting that this new series is so good. Cheers Bud for making the effort to compare so many 2A3's!!

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #143 of 4,456
Quote:
To the owners of the amp, may I ask if this amp generally shows bad recordings for what they are, or does it gloss over them to make 'em more listenable?

Hello. That's a very round question, round in the sense that it just goes round and round and round, because the answers depend on many variables of personal taste and equipment, which need to first be specified.

For example, if someone is listening with the HD800, s/he may be so entranced by the holographic stage that s/he "listens to" and perhaps "enjoys" achromatic chordal tones that s/he would otherwise find displeasing. However, as described well in this thread, and thus as you have already learned, that is not the case with the Stratus. All of the h-f ears who have chimed in here, whether golden or amber or toasty, have said that the Stratus has marvelous "transparency", which generally means that it allows the entire audio signal to pass without coloration or adulteration or whatever your sensibilities don't allow.

Speaking strictly for myself now, when I encounter a recording I don't like, say because it's too compressed or too clipped or it was poorly miked, I generally toss it aside. OTOH, I have a recording of Josef Hofmann's 1937 Metropolitan recital, and the audio signal on the CD is certainly flawed, but the pianism is extraordinary, brilliant, awe-inspiring. And listening on the Stratus, with the tube complement I've described, the sense of emotional presence is profound, even with SOTA clarity that reveals an imperfect transfer --- as I've said earlier, I feel like I am there, and I can thoroughly enjoy the captured magical moments granted us mortals by a unique musical master.

Is that what you had in mind? Maybe you can relate specific examples of your own? 

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #144 of 4,456
Finally... I have mine.

I'm listening to LCD-2 on my brand new Stratus and all I can say is... A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

My previous amp was a WA3 but it just doesn't do any justice to the Audeze. Now I'm hearing what it's capable of and I can understand all the hype about them... everything is perfect, and Sade's voice is pure luxury to my ears...

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #145 of 4,456
Man, that stratus is sexy. How much are the preferred tubes (pair)?

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #146 of 4,456
This weekend I got to hear the Emission Labs 2A3 meshplates in the Stratus. My first thought when the music started playing: Wow! They are very immediate, engaging, 3 dimensional, improved resolution, clarity and micro dynamics, and the bass is tremendous in extension, weight, and punch. I will continue listening more during the week. They're not inexpensive at $550 for the pair but they make a substantial improvement over the stock Shuguang 2A3Bs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back