DNA Stellaris
Jul 13, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #571 of 683
Sounds like good advice. I just saw I have a couple emails from Donald. Looks like a couple of options to try. If successful I will post it right away. He also mentioned earlier he was curious to know how their analog output sections are configured. Maybe he might be interested in taking a look. First things first though, and he might not want me to take everything he say's in such a literal way. It's going to be all right though; I don't stop at nothing. One way or another I'll find the Wavelight a home here.

Jul 13, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #572 of 683
I don't have a Wavelight but Wavedream + Stellaris has been my main rig for years now. Peak analog sound. Would be surprised if the Wavelight was so different...

Jul 13, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #574 of 683
Sounds like good advice. I just saw I have a couple emails from Donald. Looks like a couple of options to try. If successful I will post it right away. He also mentioned earlier he was curious to know how their analog output sections are configured. Maybe he might be interested in taking a look. First things first though, and he might not want me to take everything he say's in such a literal way. It's going to be all right though; I don't stop at nothing. One way or another I'll find the Wavelight a home here.
What did Donald suggest or consider to be a possible issue?

Jul 14, 2023 at 4:18 AM Post #576 of 683
The issue is probably limited to Wavelight only. I had the Wavedream with Stellaris balanced and both SE and XLR sounded the same i.e. no bloating/distortion etc.
I did SE->SE, XLR->XLR, XLR->SE with 3rd party transformer etc.

Jul 14, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #577 of 683
The issue is probably limited to Wavelight only. I had the Wavedream with Stellaris balanced and both SE and XLR sounded the same i.e. no bloating/distortion etc.
I did SE->SE, XLR->XLR, XLR->SE with 3rd party transformer etc.
That's really helpful. Someone else has confirmed this also. It looks like there's no problem concerning the Wavedream and Stellaris. I'll let Donald & Rockna know.

Jul 14, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #578 of 683
Not a wavelight nor a Stellaris but I was using my Wavedream with my Starlett and found it to be the best dac I've heard with my that amp. For some context I've paired my starlett with a Dave, some schiit dac and some lower price ess dacs. All relatively different presentation in the whole scheme of things but Wavedream Sig is notably better for my taste.

Sep 17, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #579 of 683
Long shot, but if anyone is interested in parting with their Elrog 5U4G please let me know. Thanks!

Sep 18, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #581 of 683
I will be curious how the Elrog 5U4G compare to some of the famous NOS tubes like the U52 consider the price differences.
I have a U52 on the way. I’d love to compare if I can find a Elrog lol. Thought the Elrog would have been an easier find.

Sep 18, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #582 of 683
I will be curious how the Elrog 5U4G compare to some of the famous NOS tubes like the U52 consider the price differences.

I currently have both for my Stellaris. They're 1a/1b for my favorite rectifier tubes. Others I have include: EML 5U4G Mesh, RCA 5U4G, Philips GZ34 Metal base (yes, I have the rectifier switch in my Stellaris for this tube). I put the GEC U52 just a hair ahead of the Elrog, but it's so close, it could literally be tube variation. There's just something a touch more "natural" and clean about the U52, but it's difficult to describe. There was actually a point during the burn-in process for the Elrog where I thought it was the best rectifier I ever heard, but somehow, that magical moment of perfection didn't last. It's still very very good, but now that both are settled in, I'd still lean U52.

All of this said, the best value is a solid RCA 5U4G. It sounds awesome. Clean, punchy, dynamic - and all at 1/4 the price (if not less) of an Elrog or true NOS U52.

Sep 18, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #583 of 683
All of this said, the best value is a solid RCA 5U4G. It sounds awesome. Clean, punchy, dynamic - and all at 1/4 the price (if not less) of an Elrog or true NOS U52.
Appreciate and very good information.
I had a RCA 5U4G and a GEC U52. I totally agree with the RCA 5U4G, very punchy and dynamic. On the other side, the U52 is fluid with a hair of sweetness.
Sounds like the Elrog indeed is a very good rectifier tube. But for that price I will definitely expect more though.

Sep 22, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #584 of 683
My favorite rectifier with the Stratus v.4 is a vintage Ken Rad 5U4G that I picked up back in February from @RestoredSparda. It's really clean, dynamic and resolving. I had a very slight preference for it over the RCA 5U4G which has a similar sound profile. I like both of these quite a bit more than the old brown base GEC U52. I found that one was overly smooth, maybe too easygoing. It might just be my specific tube though, because I purchased it used and don't know how it tested.

I don't swap out tubes all that often and the Ken Rad hasn't been removed since I got it. Sometimes I get tempted to try a new production EML or Elrog, but I'm probably more likely to save the cash for more power tubes at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back