DNA Stellaris
Nov 9, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #31 of 683
At the beginning of October Donald mentioned that he was getting close to finishing the first one.  I ordered mine when it was first announced - as in as soon as it was mentioned on the 'other' site I called him and put my name done.  I'm #3 in line.  So it should be a pretty popular amp.

Here's a photo I have of the prototype with the covers just sitting in it to give you an idea.

The only major difference will be the upper corners where the chassis is folded.  The Stellairs has a thicker metal so he added a small notch in the corners in order to fold the chassis tightly.

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #32 of 683
I have no idea where I am in line, I called after I saw your posting here.  Sadly I no longer have my Stratus to keep me satisfied until this arrives.

Last I heard the first amp may be completed end of this month but I don't know where that puts me

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #33 of 683
I sure hope so...  I am getting anxious to get mine!

I emailed Donald for an update (I do so about once a month) so when I hear back I'll update you.

I did also ask about the all silver version to which he replied, "I don't have a final price but anticipate it to be $20k+" so that's out of the question for me.

EDIT: The first one should ship sometime in December!!  YAY!

Nov 14, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #34 of 683
I also can not afford AN(UK) equipment in that equipment level price range, but for those who can it is worth every penny.  Of course, this is a DNA product, not AN(UK), but a lot of the components are AN.  Maybe Donald could correct me and/or update us all on the components.  I have put a bunch of AN components in my Stratus, including some new resistors, electrolytic caps, and Silver coupling caps.  The coupling caps provided the greatest improvement (after a long break-in period).  

Nov 24, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #35 of 683
Are we now hearing first quarter 2017 for delivery dates?  Or is that just a horrible slander ?

I started tube gathering in March, or rather I never stopped from when I had my Stratus.  If I don't get the amp soon I wont be able to afford it for having spent the money on tubes.  
blink.gif

Nov 24, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #36 of 683
Anyone have an idea of price? Im hearing 7k is that right? 

Nov 24, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #38 of 683
  Are we now hearing first quarter 2017 for delivery dates?  Or is that just a horrible slander ?

I started tube gathering in March, or rather I never stopped from when I had my Stratus.  If I don't get the amp soon I wont be able to afford it for having spent the money on tubes.  
blink.gif

It's best to ask him where you stand in line.  His plan was to produce one a month.  That mean a big difference in lead times.

Anyone have an idea of price? Im hearing 7k is that right? 

It's listed on his site:

http://www.dnaudio.com/DNA-Stellaris-2A3-headphone-amplifier.html

$6700 and $8900 with balanced in.

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #39 of 683
It's best to ask him where you stand in line.  His plan was to produce one a month.  That mean a big difference in lead times.

It's listed on his site:

http://www.dnaudio.com/DNA-Stellaris-2A3-headphone-amplifier.html

$6700 and $8900 with balanced in.

The way it is worded, makes it seem the balanced option is still single ended, just adds balanced inputs for convenience.
I doubt a $2,000 upgrade would be enough to transform a singled ended $6,700 amp to a fully differential balanced amp.

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #40 of 683
The way it is worded, makes it seem the balanced option is still single ended, just adds balanced inputs for convenience.
I doubt a $2,000 upgrade would be enough to transform a singled ended $6,700 amp to a fully differential balanced amp.

There is no way I can answer that on a public form with a levelhead... 

Nov 26, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #42 of 683
The balanced input option adds a pair of custom Audio Note input transformers which accept and convert the balanced signal to unbalanced. From there the amplifier is single ended.

Nov 28, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #43 of 683
The balanced input option adds a pair of custom Audio Note input transformers which accept and convert the balanced signal to unbalanced. From there the amplifier is single ended.

I thought transformers were generally balanced by themselves. Did not know there are singled ended & balanced transformers.

Either way, this makes the $6,700 version a lot more reasonable for me. Might order one next year, depending on my fiances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back