DNA Stellaris
Nov 29, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #47 of 677
I thought transformers were generally balanced by themselves. Did not know there are singled ended & balanced transformers.

Either way, this makes the $6,700 version a lot more reasonable for me. Might order one next year, depending on my fiances.

I think there is a misunderstanding: The unbalanced inputs go directly to the volume control and 6N1P input/driver tube. The balanced inputs are received through the Audio Note input transformers, then sent to the volukencontrol, etc. Some amp send both the balanced and unbalanced input signals through the input transformers - I don't do this in the Stellaris.

Dec 1, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #49 of 677
Nice !

Have a vendor name you're willing to share ?  
wink.gif
   I already have that one but I'm on a bit of a tube buying jag myself.

Somehow I ended up with two of these guys.

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #54 of 677

Stellaris #001 in the house!!!    Kindly delivered personally by none other than the man himself, thank you very much Donald.  As a current Stratus owner who loves that amp with the 800s, all I can say is that the Stellaris takes the 800s's to a whole nother level!!!

A million thanks Donald  for producing such an exquisite amp!!  Well worth the wait!!

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #56 of 677
Congrats, very nice, I forgot I subscribed to this thread.  Looking forward to impressions.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #57 of 677
Thanks guys.  Right now just usting the stock tubes, but have a pair of NOS RCA 2a3's and 5U4G that I plan to try shortly.   Have a WE422a on the way also, since Donald mentioned peeps were really impressed with that tube on the Stratus.  While Donald was here the source was a Lampi Komputer --> Lampi Golden Gate--> Stellaris, but while listening, the Komputer crapped out, so right now I am using a Modwright Oppo 105---> ELyse DAC--> Stellaris..  Both setups are incredible!!  I put my name on the list the first time Donald mentioned this pet project of his, so BFP, you are probably next up, so be patient, you will be rewarded.

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #60 of 677
  Thanks guys.  Right now just usting the stock tubes, but have a pair of NOS RCA 2a3's and 5U4G that I plan to try shortly.   Have a WE422a on the way also, since Donald mentioned peeps were really impressed with that tube on the Stratus.  While Donald was here the source was a Lampi Komputer --> Lampi Golden Gate--> Stellaris, but while listening, the Komputer crapped out, so right now I am using a Modwright Oppo 105---> ELyse DAC--> Stellaris..  Both setups are incredible!!  I put my name on the list the first time Donald mentioned this pet project of his, so BFP, you are probably next up, so be patient, you will be rewarded.

Congrats!  Extremely jealous right now, post a lot of comments so I can get more worked up 
wink.gif
.   I think BFP said he gets #003 and I'm right after him so a couple of more months to wait here.

The WE422a does sound great with the Stratus. It might be the indirectly heated rectifier but for whatever reason I enjoyed that tube more than the U52 or the 5U4Gs  I was using.  I've picked up several more rectifiers since then though, looking forward to experimenting with the Stellaris.

Seriously, post more thoughts on the amp as you listen, anxious to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back