DMS Project Omega - Now Available for Pre-Order
Apr 17, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #46 of 59
DMS_Omega.jpeg

DMS Project Omega Headphones​

Some of you may have seen these headphones floating around various CanJams and others who are already following DMS may have been following along on his journey into making Project Omega. And finally, after several years of re-iteration and fine-tuning, Project Omega is finally here!

10% Early Bird Savings for those that pre-order as part of the first batch. Initial run will take an estimated 3-4 months to build and ship.

Grab a pair here https://headphones.com/products/dms-omega-headphones

Watch DMS' video for Project Omega here

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 6.57.01 PM.png

From The Creator Himself, DMS​

"This headphone is my love letter to audio. I’m making these in small numbers and ONLY for 1 year. The price is entirely based on the cost of production/customer service/fulfillment. The profit margin is notably lower than industry standard and is just enough to be sustainable.

I will be sending this to lots of other reviewers and on tours in some discord groups. If you want to know how it sounds, take anyone else’s opinion instead of mine. I want the product to speak for itself but I also want feedback. This is a headphone that I designed based on all the things I wish a headphone had, but that still doesn’t mean everyone will like it (and that’s okay). Btw the name “project omega” is after a megaman-zero boss fight (Omega Zero) I played a bunch growing up on the gameboy advance. That boss kicked my ass and I really loved that game so it’s also a nod to my nostalgia.

The cups are a hollow structure made via nylon sintering. I used this process for 2 reasons. 1 is low weight. I don’t think premium headphones should be heavy. I actually think they should be as light as possible. 2 SLS is the only method that would allow me to get the internal structure in one-piece, and the internal structure is critical to the tuning. Another massive focus was durability.

I put a lot of effort into the sound here. I selected this driver for several reasons. The first is consistency. This is an established driver that I can get reliably. The 2nd is Fs. I used this dynamic driver so I could more naturally elevate the low-end without warming up the midrange too much (this can be further measurably elevated with either an impedance adapter or an amp with higher output impedance like a tube). As an example on the darkvoice you get about 4db more sub-bass.

As a short note I don’t really care for high-end headphones being jewelry. Some people will like the look and some will hate it. I’m okay with that.

This is not a collab. This is a ground-up product of my own design assembled my hand.

As a reviewer this raises some questions. So here’s my plan. If you have more questions I’m happy to answer them.

I’m making a video about the product for launch day. Other than that I will not be comparing my headphone to anything else in any reviews. I still love the hobby and have no plans to earn a living as a manufacturer. I also still highly recommend many products in competing price ranges.

I will only sell the headphone for 1 year. After that I will open-source the design. It’s pretty hard to make at home but anyone can do whatever they wish with the design. You’ll need an SLS machine, C02 laser, CNC, and lathe for several components if you plan to make it at home.

My hope is that after 1 year I’ll learn a lot from this project. Sure I hope it’s profitable but I also hope this gives me a lot more insight manufacturing and the other side of the industry. I know some people will think its silly, but I think this project will help me to be a better reviewer in the long run with a greater understanding of how the industry works.

That said, I hope you all get a chance to hear the headphone and feel how light I was able to make it! I’m also ready for the harsh feedback (just like I’ve been dishing out for years). This is going to be a fun year. Happy listening."

And now a measurement dump (thanks to @listenerwww for putting these together)

4128 Raw Measurements with Preference Bounds​

DMS Project Omega RAW FR on 4128

image2048×1152 138 KB

DMS Project Omega Raw FR compared to Sennheiser HD 650

image2400×1038 238 KB

DMS Project Omega Raw FR compared to Hifiman Edition XS

image2400×1038 244 KB

DMS Project Omega Raw FR compared to Meze Audio 109 Pro

image2400×1038 241 KB

DMS Project Omega Raw FR compared to Audeze MM-500

image2400×1038 228 KB

4128 Diffuse Field Calibrated Measurements​

DMS Project Omega compared to Sennheiser HD 650 DF Calibrated

image2400×1038 214 KB

DMS Project Omega compared to Hifiman Edition XS DF Calibrated

image2400×1038 222 KB

DMS Project Omega compared to Meze Audio 109 Pro DF Calibrated

image2400×1038 224 KB

DMS Project Omega compared to Audeze MM-500 DF Calibrated

image2400×1038 206 KB
https://global.discourse-cdn.com/bu.../ca532c01bc6b6dded325635c50ab12f749c029be.png
DMSOmega41024x1024.jpg
https://global.discourse-cdn.com/bu.../ca532c01bc6b6dded325635c50ab12f749c029be.png
Pre-Order a pair of DMS Project Omega today and save 10%

As always if you have any questions or concerns you can reach out to us at info@headphones.com or hop in our live chat and myself, Alan, April or Sam will be happy to help!

What is the impedance of these, though ? Since the resonance frequency is there a lot. And how they react to higher voltages

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #50 of 59
Good luck to DMS,

can someone please advise what the drivers are?

The Peerless driver from the Tymphany company that has has lots of diy attention lately.

Tried and true. Not some random aliexpress driver.

But he probably needs to order many many extras.....In order to find matches to pair-up for Left/Right units. Which is another extra cost to things not mentioned before

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #52 of 59
Any impressions from the few people that bought it ?
I have the initial beta launch which is the same said for the headband. They are very comfortable for a variety of heads, including my tiny 7 year old. To me they sound like if the Senn HD800 was an upgrade direct to the HD600. Very similar but more resolving and tweaked to be more widely applicable. I currently have it paired with a Geshelli stack and it is a great match. For tubes I've used an impedance multiplier to get it up in the 300 ohm range, and they tubed very well. While i can't imagine ever selling my hd600 marble, these would effectively replace those in my listening chain. They however cannot because my 7 year old has declared them to be hers and i can't use them anymore.

Apr 18, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #53 of 59
I emailed headphones.com wondering when the early bird pricing will end, and also how are the pads attached. They told me that the pads slide over a lip around the edge of the cups, no glue. So that helps with the future pad swap. The early bird pricing will end next Friday. It is the last day for early bird price and then that will also be the cut off for first batch. Orders placed after will be at the higher price and be a part of batch 2.
Thanks Alan from headphones.com with the response/reply so I can share with others on here.

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #54 of 59
This product makes me wary on the subject of longevity and durability. This is a small scale limited run headphones, and for a kilobuck, qc and future warranty is critical for me in that price range and above. Who will provide after-sales service and repairs for these and for how long? Cans like the lcd2 or zmf bokeh are in the same price range but are backed by some of the best customer support in the industry and will guarantee they will and can fix your cans years or even a decade down the road. We just don't if we will be bamboozled by hifiman/focal levels of qc.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #55 of 59
This product makes me wary on the subject of longevity and durability. This is a small scale limited run headphones, and for a kilobuck, qc and future warranty is critical for me in that price range and above. Who will provide after-sales service and repairs for these and for how long? Cans like the lcd2 or zmf bokeh are in the same price range but are backed by some of the best customer support in the industry and will guarantee they will and can fix your cans years or even a decade down the road. We just don't if we will be bamboozled by hifiman/focal levels of qc.

The after-service/repair is obviously going to be done by the maker: DMS. The listing says a 1-year warranty on the top of the page, before it even starts the description section.

Plus the whole gimmick that this headphone will be user serviceable later on.
As in, anyone can 3d print parts for you after the design becomes open-source in a year.

Even the drivers are Peerless Tymphany drivers you can get from many online stores.

The real major downside I can think of, is if you wanted to replace your transducers. It would probably take more than 1 Peerless driver to find a really really close L/R match.

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #59 of 59
Today is the last day to order the DMS Project Omega at the early bird price of 10% off!

We will also not be taking more orders after today until the first batch has been entirely shipped out.

If you're looking to save 10% and want to be part of the first batch, today's the last day!

https://headphones.com/products/dms-omega-headphones

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back