DJ Headphones vs other kinds
Jun 24, 2010 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SpacePope

New Head-Fier
So I've been searching for some portable headphones to carry around that are really good at noise isolation and don't have crappy sound quality, and the only option that I've been able to find are the beats by dr dre...

However, I listened to them at a store, and the sound quality just wasn't worth the 300 dollar price tag. The noise isolation was also pretty dismal

However, I was looking around and saw that DJ headphones were pretty good at noise isolation, since they seal around your ear. They are also for the most part, very portable.

But, can DJ headphones be used to listen to music? I listen mainly to hip hop, trance, techno, and rock music.

Jun 24, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 5
I think you will be very satisfied with Shure SRH750 DJ. They don't have the best isolation actually, but they do sound very, very good after some solid burn in period (~100 hours). They are more colored than a studio monitor of course, with bumped up bass and upper mids/low treble, but they are of very high quality and never sound sibilant or harsh, unless you turn your music up very loud. They also look nice and are quite easy to drive out of portable sources. Highly recommended.
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 5
Ditto. The 750 DJ is the best DJ-style can I have heard. Although I am not sure if it's really suitable for DJing, haha. But since you don't seem to need them for DJ'ing, I say get them. They are like a third the price of the Beats -- I actually love the sound of the Studio's but find they are too expensive, mabye if they were same price as the 750s I would get them haha.

750 is just such a great deal, highly recommended.

Jun 25, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 5
Hello all.

Proper DJ cans differ in relation to mainstream headphones as a rule. For example, the Sennheiser HD-25sp or HD25s are top heavy, as in they are tuned so that the highs are more apparent. Maybe not as good for general listening but they do help those DJs and producers who like it that way. Others will be bass heavy, which isn't a big problem for the hip-hop/techno lovers such as yourself, some people find this a bit overwhelming and it can drown out the actual musical part of the tune, especially in the world of compressed music such as MP3.

Another consideration is proper DJ cans have higher input levels and can be harder to drive. If you have a MP3 player such as the Cowon iAudio 7, which has excellent volume levels and battery life, then this isn't a real issue.

I can't comment on the Dr Dre cans as I've never had the chance to try them yet but I'm sure some of the community can help you with that.

Of course, isolation is an important factor to us DJs as well as commuters and as mentioned above, the SRH750s are indeed an excellent choice!!

Jun 25, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 5
First of all in regards to monster beats by Dre...
I really really think you shouldnt consider this headphone... First it is NOT a dj headphone, the easiest clue is they dont swivel... and second the sound quality on beats is very very poor, compare to other dj headphone...

in regards are DJ headphones be used to listen to music?
They most certainly can... Currently I am using Audio Technica ATH PRO 700 and owned Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, Pioneer HDJ-1000... All really good headphone... You can bang any kind of music in them... FOR SURE... I use them for all sort of music my self and for dj use I bang from trance - techno to house... from all of those the one I mostly recommend is the Audio Technica and Sennheiser...

But one thing you need to know is... DJ headphone are not made to show you details in the music, they are made for the purpose of good isolation and sounds powerful enough to withstand the music/sound coming from outside...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back