DIY Woody HF-1... Pics (56K warning)
Oct 29, 2005 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
Start with your favorite plank of wood. I choose bloodwood for its rust-color. Use a hole cutter and cut the ID holes. Cut the through hole first then the ID. Fixture your piece securely, the cutting blades are going to want to jump and grab the hardwood. Just like metalworking, monitor your feeds/speeds. Bloodwood is dense and you can burn out the blades if youre in a hurry.

dscn63644dq.jpg

Use a wood rasp to clean off any tooling marks, and mill the shape to a clean circle. This is the most labor intensive part. I cant imagine doing this without a drill press.

dscn63668xo.jpg

Use a jigsaw or scroll saw and cut the OD, around the perimeter of the ID circle cuts. Use a rasp to clean off tooling marks. Take your time, make sure you have a near-circle, that's smooth.
dscn63675wp.jpg

Start sanding with 60-100-200-400-800 grit paper.
dscn63705ly.jpg

Use tin snips/shears to cut the perorated steel mesh.
dscn63713gz.jpg

Test fit all the parts.
dscn63738dc.jpg

Here you can see the sanded earcup on the right and the second one I just cut on a jigsaw. If anything error on the safe side and cut it too large. You can always whittle it down in size.

dscn63748aq.jpg

Nice napkin rings!!
dscn63755hn.jpg

Make sure you drill the mounting holes in the EXACT location. If youre off by too much the earcup will not fit the headband "C" part, or it will be lop-sided from right to left. Take your time and make sure the sides are symmetric.
I goofed at this stage and had to re-do an earcup.
biggrin.gif

dscn63761yk.jpg

Half woodie. Test fitting things.
dscn63777ky.jpg

Close-up...
dscn63788zb.jpg

Thats all for now. I ran out of hot melt glue so the mesh and HF-1 logo are loose.... what grado would be complete without hot melt glue?
biggrin.gif

I'll tung-oil the bloodwood this weekend and finish up on the assembly with hot melt glue. Not sure what cable to use yet?... OEM or star quad?

More pics to come....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Garrett

Oct 29, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #2 of 69
Good job Garrett,
it looks absolutely gorgeous!

.....Do you really think you can get away without mentioning the sound?
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2005 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 69
you should wax them to give them a polished look.

Normally most folk dont have the proper milling machines to make their own woodies lol. I certainly dont.

I have another challenge for you, try to woodie those black spindles (holding the cup) for the ultimate woodie look!

Oct 29, 2005 at 9:13 AM Post #8 of 69
did you ever get my PM?

I'd be interested in taking your stock grado cable from you if you have no use for it
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2005 at 9:15 AM Post #9 of 69
Awesome work Garrett...that is some fine DIY work. If I was to do that, there might be more hot melt glue than wood! It would be reminiscent of my X'mas wrapping...more tape than wrapper! Excellent stuff Garrett, maybe we can arrange a meeting sometime so that I can see that bad boy HF1 in person...I live in Sunnyvale!
icon10.gif

Oct 29, 2005 at 9:17 AM Post #10 of 69
Hi Garrett,

Normally I am not a big fan of non-manufacturer made woodies, but I have to take my hats off to you for those beautifully made housing. Keep up the good work!

Overlunge

Oct 29, 2005 at 9:19 AM Post #11 of 69
That's IT!

Black grills make the HF-1 buttons look so much better than the stock silver ones, I may have to look into doing a swap
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2005 at 11:00 AM Post #13 of 69
Talk about Woodie's... I'm sporting one now from looking at these photos
eek.gif

JK, but they really are fantastic! I wish I had skillz like you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back