DIY Woody HF-1... Pics (56K warning)
Oct 30, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #46 of 69
i would imagine that a plank of wood that thick would be difficult to find and pricey. and if you did it with a rectangular prism you'd lose the very classy looking grain

Oct 30, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #47 of 69
wow nice work. diy world salutes you. Thanks for opening up a possibility. And let me practice them with cheese..

You could also recycle the metal grills from the stock HF-1. Melt/separate them, then attatch the grills to the fresh cut woody while the glue on them is hot
icon10.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #48 of 69
Here are the finished cans... I used tung-oil to finish the bloodwood. I love the satin-smooth feel of tung oiled maple on all my guitar necks. So along those lines the HF-1 followed.

Someone asked about the headband... No I didn't get it from Grado Labs. I swapped headbands with my MS2. The cheap vinyl headband is a better match with the MS2 IMHO.

Here are the pics... Enjoy!

In these pics the unfinished earcup is on the right.... quite a difference the tung-oil makes.

Different flash setting on my camera to accentuate the color of the wood. Both earcups have ben oiled in this pic.

Close-up

The completed project.

Buy low - mod high everyone!!!

Garrett

Oct 31, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #49 of 69
They turned out really nice even if they did take forever for you to perfect. Such is the dedication of a Head-Fier. Be proud that you have a pair of truly one-of-a-kind cans.

Oct 31, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #50 of 69
That's just some mighty fine work you did there
biggrin.gif
!

On the flipside my HF-1s now look like poop in comparison, thank god they still sound outstanding. Any quick impressions to share on what sonic difference, if any the woodie treatment made?

Again, dang that's just impressive.

Nate

Oct 31, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #52 of 69
I love what you have done to it. It is beautiful...I'm wondering how does it sound after the mod?

Oct 31, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #53 of 69
Not to give you more work but have you thought of making buttoms with the HF-1 logo?
very_evil_smiley.gif

By the way would you trade them for a new untouched HF-1 in the box?
eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Congratulations, the work you did is outstanding!

Oct 31, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #54 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Not to give you more work but have you thought of making buttoms with the HF-1 logo?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Took the words right out of my fingers...

Very nice job!!!!!!1111one

Oct 31, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #55 of 69
Not really a fan of the grille style. The holes are too big, but love the black color. If you could find the black grilles they use for the SR-325i (it looks like the top of a microphone in black) that would be perfection. However your woodwork is really phenomenal. And the tung oil finish really brought out the beauty of the bloodwood.

And the addition of the MS-2 leather headband makes it really look like a Reference Series headphone.

Respect.
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #56 of 69
WOW! They turned out beautiful! How many coats of tung oil did you apply? They'll get more depth with each coat. I like to apply about 5 coats on my projects, buffing with 4 ott steel wool between each coat.

Oct 31, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #57 of 69
wow those are nice, compliments on a job well done.

sorta motivates me to get cracking on the PSR-60

Oct 31, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #59 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
WOW! They turned out beautiful! How many coats of tung oil did you apply? They'll get more depth with each coat. I like to apply about 5 coats on my projects, buffing with 4 ott steel wool between each coat.

3 coats... Didn't buff with steel wool
frown.gif
I was unaware of that trick.

What grade / grit steel wool do you use? I have some "fine" that I use on my guitar frets, but I think there are finer grades available.

I'll keep that trick in mind when I woodie my MS2... I have some flame / quilt maple in mind for that project. Saw some birdseye maple that looked stunning at the lumber shop.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back