DIY Woody HF-1... Pics (56K warning)
Oct 29, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #31 of 69
woah that thing looks uber sweet
biggrin.gif

great work garett, how about woodying those spindles as RnB said, maybe even a bloodwood HF-1 button??

keep the good work up

cheers

Oct 29, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #32 of 69
WOW!! thanks for the kind words everyone. Its labor of Grado love, and the love of music.

LOL!! NO WAY would I want to do this more than once - twice. You couldn't pay me enough!! Its VERY labor intensive. Even with my drill press. My hands are fatigued and wrists are sore as I type this. Man.. I dont know how Larry does these in volume. I tried to play my guitar this morning, forget it!! BUT.. it certainly can be done with some carefull planning and determination.

Its very delicate work too, tight tolerances and snug fits are a must. one slip and youve scrapped out a part.

So far I've made 3 earcups. Only 1 of those is useable
eek.gif
eek.gif

If anything, see this as a ringing endoresement for Larry's handywork at Headphile. I for one have a new found respect and appreciation for his work.

Thanks everyone, and have a safe halloween.
Buy low & mod high & Enjoy those HF-1s!!

Garrett

PS, I'll post more pics later when theyre finished.

Oct 29, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #33 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire
did you ever get my PM?

I'd be interested in taking your stock grado cable from you if you have no use for it
wink.gif

Yeah.... thanks for the offer but I think I'm going to use the OEM cable. I LOVE the HF-1 sound. I dont want to do anything that'll disrupt that too much. All the recables I have done have always resulted in more bass and mids. IMHO the HF-1 has plenty of each, any more and it might become flawed or bloated... IMHO.

Part of me does want to keep as much of it Grado as possible too.. Being that they are a limited production run.

Thanks though
biggrin.gif

Garrett

Oct 29, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #34 of 69
Wow, that is absolutley gorgeous. I'm starting to like this whole woody thing... especially when I see things like this, and that thread from a few days ago with all the ATH-W cans *drool*

Nice work man, can't wait to see the finished product
lambda.gif

Oct 29, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #35 of 69
wow dude, thats some amazing work!

Oct 29, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #36 of 69
Congrats! Since this was called a DIY thread, would you be able to post some measurements? diameters and such (I realize you can use the plastic housing as a template, but did you keep the wood at a certain thickess, etc.?).. Looks great!

Oct 29, 2005 at 11:12 PM Post #40 of 69
I cant imagine doing that WITH a drill press. Nice work!

Oct 30, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #41 of 69
Holy moly! First DIY woody I've seen...
You're quickly becoming the Mod King of Head-fi.
Great job!

Oct 30, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #42 of 69
Nice work!

That would be labor intensive with a Drill Press. A Lathe would make it much eaiser. So what you need to do is take enough pre-orders and buy yourself a nice lathe and start having fun turning!

With the prices us head-fi'ers are willing to pay for things like cables, connectors, and upgrades of perfectly good equipment (myself included) you could make a fortune just selling those things on this site!

Have fun, and keep up the good work!

P.S. You might want to use something like an oil/varnish mix. Pure tung oil does not harden, or build up. A mix (or wiping varnish like hopes tung oil varnish) will build up a little while still imparting that oil apearance. Plus it will protect it from scratches better too.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #45 of 69
kramer1510, that is some seriously beautiful work!
eek.gif

keep us updated!

just a suggestion - perhaps you could cut out a 'taller' cylinder of wood, smooth and round down the sides to taste and then chop it into half to make 2 earcups? certainly much easier than making one earcup at a time, especially wrt size matching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back