DIY USB cable
Oct 15, 2009 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

suicidal_orange

500+ Head-Fier
Hi All

This is my first post on my new netbook (need to write lots to see if the keyboard is usable
tongue.gif
)

I am considering making a USB cable to attach my DAC to it as it only needs to be about 6 inches long and no-one seems to sell them that short. I could use starquad, but was wondering about noise/sheilding. Should I just cut the middle out of a cheap cable or is there a bare cable available for this application? I'm not convinced by expensive digital cables, but sheilding seems a good idea.

Any thoughts appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 53
According to the BantamDAC website, the quality of the USB cable is important (so much so that that Beezar sells a specific high quality "shielded" cable). Based on that recommendation I probably wouldn't try to DIY one, myself. But you're certainly welcome to try!

Also, monoprice.com has 1.5' cables for less than a buck. I've used it with my Bantam with no problems.

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 53
If you want diy (aka cut a stock cable up) you want to get a real long one, say 15ft for $5-10.

DealExtreme: $2.36 USB to Mini 5-Pin Cable (1.3-Meter)

The problem with the short ones is that they are very thin and cant supply power (ive seen them drop from 5.1v down to 4.5v when plugged in). Then just cut to length.

Basically you need these things:
24 gauge for power and at least 28 gauge for signal
twisted pair, not the strait phone cord style (hey looks its a retractable tape version)
foil shielding
braided shielding

Most usb 2.0 cables should work, and id say almost 100% of extension cables would fit the bill

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 53
Anybody know where to get USB plugs? Type A anyways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightanole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basically you need these things:
24 gauge for power and at least 28 gauge for signal
twisted pair, not the strait phone cord style (hey looks its a retractable tape version)
foil shielding
braided shielding

Don't forget heatshrink! You always need heatshrink.

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 53
I have read through the salient parts of the USB 2.0 specs and have a question if anyone can answer. Power is easy, as anything between 20awg and 28awg is acceptable. Data is only listed at 28awg as a twisted pair. Besides being technically out of spec, would there be any other negatives to using a slightly lower gauge (26 or 24) for the data?

And on a slight tangent, does it matter which shield goes where? I know the USB spec calls for the wrap shield inside of the braid, but is there any harm in doing it with the wrap outside the braid? This is more a cosmetic thing for me, as the mylar foil I have is very pretty and shiny and I wanted it to show through the clear PVC tubing I was going to use for the outer jacket.

And I have found several sources for nickel plated Type B connectors, but no gold plated ones. Gold plated Type A's I can get from Mouser, but not Type B's (L-com doesn't have them either). I would prefer gold plating, but I will go nickel if I have to simply because I refuse to have a cable that doesn't have matching ends. Anyone know of a source for gold plated Type B connectors?

Ok, I think that is it!

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mouser
wink.gif

B : 154-UBW32-E
A : 154-UAW16-E

I saw those, but couldn't tell if the shell was gold plated or not. I know the contacts are. Have you used these? I have a Mouser order to put together and I would love to throw these in to save one shipping down the line. Thanks!

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #13 of 53
Quote:

If you don't need to power the device, skip the power lines all together.
smily_headphones1.gif

and skip groundloops altogether! I'll keep it in mind
happy_face1.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Yes, I have used them; the shell is not gold plated, just the contacts.

Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing the pic. What kind of materials did you use? Did you stay in spec with 28awg data?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back