DIY speakers
Jun 24, 2009 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cyberidd

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I have been looking at building my own speakers for a little while now, but I don't know where to start. I have had very little experience with DIY in the past, so please stick with me on this. First of all, I don't know where to find instructions, what would be the easiest style, and what supplies I would need. I was thinking it would be really cool to try to put together a ribbon speaker, but I don't know where that fits on the difficulty scale. Anyway, if anyone has advice for what to build, and how to do it I will be very grateful.

Jun 24, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 15
I tried doing that once. It was only after I'd cut all the wood into correctly sized pieces that I realized shipping for the parts was something like $100.

I gave up.

Parts-Express.com - Speakers, Speaker Building, Home Audio and Video, Pro Audio, Electronic Parts & Accessories PARTS EXPRESS, Speakers, Speaker Parts, Guitar speakers, Bass speakers, Woofers, Drivers, speaker upgrades and replacement speakers. Emine has lots of speaker parts and I think there's guides on how to build certain speakers there too. And kits.

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 15
Try these: My Voigt Pipes

I plan on trying it sometime this summer.

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try these: My Voigt Pipes

I think Voigt Pipes are very cool. I've looked at several single-driver designs and hope to build a set of those for myself later this year. I think this design is good starting one. Especially for first timers and people who don't build often, like me.
happy_face1.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #5 of 15
I always thought these would be a decent setup, in my price range and my abilities. If I did not have so many pairs around...

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #6 of 15
What would be their application?
What amplication do you plan to use?
Single driver, two/three way design?
Are they going to be used with a subwoofer?

There are these questions and more that you should consider, a great place to start answering these is at DIYAudio.
I might warn you, as with this hobby it's quite addictive. I have about 8 drivers sitting in my room waiting for design and building. And a few more projects in my head!

EDIT: Links
smily_headphones1.gif

FrugalHorns
Awesome designs with many options
End game!!!

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 15
This is a good place to search, or here, too.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 15
Jun 24, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 15
Back in the "old days" a lot of people built their own speakers, and I built two pairs myself, and modified others. These days, your best route might be to score a pair of vintage speakers at a thrift store, which have good cabinets and blown/damaged/rotted drivers. Better drivers can be had far cheaper than new speakers. My current speakers are all new except for the cabinets, and sound great. I also have a pair of nice Altec Seven cabinets, but have no need to make a project of them. Anyone living close by could have them for a song, but Winnipeg is a bit far.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 15
If you want to build ribbons, you will want Justus Verhagen's book. I build these in 2002 and they still kick a lot of butt. Back then, it cost me about $200 for all the materials.

Another DIY project I really love is the ProAc Response 2.5 clone. These are superb speakers, just wonderful sounding with great bass.

Currently, I'm working on putting together the Orion + over at Linkwitz Labs. These sound tough to improve on - I think they might be my last pair of speakers.

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 15
Ages ago, I built a set of ribbons based on a Jack Caldwell design using a double height set of Strathearn ribbons in an angled enclosure with a set of isobarik 12 inch Dynaudio woofers on each side. Very large and PITA to move. But It was a very enjoyable setup. Ah, those were the days. Van Alstine and Carver electronics in the middle and Ariston w/ Black Widow arm AVA modified Grado cartridge. Listened for hours and days on end, with interruptions every 20-25 minutes of course for flipping vinyl.

But the Voigt Pipe looks like a great way to get back into DIY. Any thoughts on a really good full range driver to build around?

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #12 of 15
I have never built anything myself that's worth bragging about but I do plan to make my first DIY speakers this year. The materials should run about $900 - $1200 but according to some people I trust, they should outperform anything from $10,000 and up.

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:35 PM Post #13 of 15
My speaker rig have DIY speakers, built by me some 12-13 years ago.
It was quite fun building it all, and I also think they gave great value for money.
smily_headphones1.gif

13" Audax in separate cabinets, then top box' with 6" and 1" from Seas. Mundorf MCap and air coils (transformers?) for the filter.

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #15 of 15
Even go with some basic fostex/DIY with recommended ported boxes for simplicity - madisound has spec/docs

yes, they need a shaping filter so they are not shouty - but that's a simple circuit

Or if you're using something like computer audio, say with foobar, then go buy a cheap sound meter at radio shack and use an EQ module to do room correction and account for the baffle step without having to build any circuit (literally just a driver, box and wire)

-

pipes are cool though - i had Tekton build be a yellow pair for some fostex 127 and love them to death

Users who are viewing this thread

Back